Scheming to do an upgrade

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by tsk, Aug 8, 2004.

1. tsk macrumors 6502a

Jan 14, 2004
    I'm looking at the rebates Apple is currently offering and am scheming in my head to see if I can work an upgrade for little or no cost.

So I see the iPod + PB offer along with the free $89 printer (I'm assuming you can do both).

Here's my thought. I have the 12" 1GHz model with airport.

I was looking at the 12" 1.3GHz PB base model. Total with iPod + printer + tax is $1850 - $289 in rebates = $1561 (I'm a student).

It seems to me I can probably go and sell the iPod for $250 and maybe get $50 for the printer (since both would still be sealed in the original box).

That leaves me at about $1250. Now my question is can I expect to sell my system as it sits for that amount of money or something close? My system is in nice shape (maybe a scuff or two on the bottom but almost perfect) and still has at least 6 months of warranty. Or what is my system worth?

Any holes in my plan? Almost seems to me I can sell my PB first and then just go to the store once I have it sold and transfer data right before I ship it off. Only pain and complication I see is dealing with trying to sell the stuff which I can handle.
  2. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

Feb 16, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    you probably have to clip parts from the printer and ipod boxes in order to get the rebates (not sure, but that is how it usually works). that might cause small problems with the unopened box aspect of things, but that might not be a deal breaker for anyone else (especially if you explain how you got the items and why you're selling them - not that you are trying to upgrade for no money, just that it was such a good deal you couldn't pass it up, and that maybe you already had them).
  3. puckhead193 macrumors G3

May 25, 2004
    You can get both, i just sent my rebates in. I got a 15"pbook. You have to clip the UPC off the boxes of the printer and ipod. Just say on ebay or whatever that you had this deal and i bought it. I'm still debating on what to do with my new 20 gig ipod that just sitting in my den.
  4. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

May 3, 2004
    Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)