Schiavo dies hours after appeal denied

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aafuss1, Mar 31, 2005.

1. aafuss1 macrumors 68000

aafuss1

Terri Schiavo, the severely brain damaged woman at the centre of a right-to-die controversy in the United States, died today in a Florida hospital almost two weeks after her feeding tube was removed, a spokesman for her parents said.

Sources:Sydney Morning Herald:
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/World/Sc...r-appeal-denied/2005/04/01/1111862541442.html
    CNET:http://news.com.com/Terri+Schiavo+dies+in+Florida+hospice/2100-1028_3-5648550.html?tag=nefd.top
    CNN:http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/03/31/schiavo/index.html

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

3. iriejedi macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

What I don't get....

I once pulled the card - well if God is the ultimate authority - why do we have to listen to police and pay taxes and drive the speed limit..... but my wife who is much more versed in the bible explained to me, and since then it has been a topic in our church messages.... God created the authority structure and approves of it and they enact his will by his guiding hand.... (paraphrased to make the point)

So MAYBE all those bible thumpers screaming murder are actually going against the will of God who is a patient God but after 20 years of 'recruting' her.... finally acted. How many "no's" does it take?

So if you do not pick and chose what parts of the bible you feel are OK to believe and take the whole bible into account.... the court are an extention of God's will so it was the right thing to let her go to the great beyond....

I feel for every family like mine that have to make this decision.... it is not easy - but it should NOT be a gov't or umemployed/retired zealots issue!

Just my 2c - I am Soooo glad it is mostly over - I miss my cop chases and other exciting news! :eek:

4. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

That reminds me of last night's South Park. :)

5. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Hows this? Religion is crap. Its sole purpose was to control the masses, thousands of years ago. It was used as a form of government, and a police, in a way.

The Bible? One big story. Sure, its got a lot of good lessons/values, but I don't belive most of it.

6. iriejedi macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

South Park AWESOME

Last night SP was so freaking funny - the PSP part had me laughing but when they merged the feeding tube aspect I was in tears!

:p

7. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Please save your religious opinions for the political forum. I stay out of there because I don't want to have to read posts like this. Obviously some people disagree with you and you are presenting no new information, so all this post does is offend people and/or cause big, nasty debates that will never be solved.

8. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

preach brother!!!

no offense but i feel that religion is for people incapable of thinking for themselves....but i also believe there is a dude hanging out in the clouds who comes down on valentine's day and shoots invisble arrows into my ass to make me fall in love, hooray for cupid (and don't forget santa claus, or the fairy god mother, they were always so good to me as a child).

on a serious note i'm glad this is finally over, regardless of the outcome. there are far more important things in this world to get worked up over, why don't people concentrate on making all of the terrible places in the world better, rather than focusing all their attention on an individual case of "right" vs "wrong" sometimes I think the whole world is insane.

9. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

shhh...

people
    really
    hate
    being confronted with the truth...

10. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I also think that this is not the place to air your view. It is your wright, but on such a sad occasion.

The death of Terri is sad. So many unanswered questions. All those involved in this case will have to look themselves in the mirror. They will have to deal with what they have done, if not on Earth, then at the hour of their death.

May Terri finally rest in peace. My prayers are with her family and friends.

11. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Isn't it time for America to forget about this? I love how big news is reporting the story as she died "after the case was lost" ... ****ing christ.

What's next on the attention deficit agenda!? Oh, I know, I know... the Pope's death!

Check out these folks.. a bit carried away with it, eh?

Attached Files:

12. eleveneastgate macrumors 6502

Husband VS In-laws

Terry, R.I.P.

Now I hear (on NPR) that the Husband wants to cremate her, and her parents wants her buried.

DANG... When does it end?

13. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

As before, it's her husband's call. Why do people continue on insisting that he should have no rights as her husband, simply because they don't agree with him? If you don't respect the system of rules and laws that have been established, then why even have them?

To answer your question: It ends when a new Flavor of the Month comes along... and then it begins again.

14. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Heres one Brit who agrees with you.

The whole Politics and Religion aspect of America is scary, millions of gulible christians nutters voted for another nutter just because he said he was a born again christain.

You would think that as a race Humanity would have evolved past religion by now.

15. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Personally I think that whoever brought the media in on this whole debacle should be ashamed of themselves. Terri got where she was basically because she was bullemic. Therefore she probably had a pretty low self image of herself. Therefore she probably would not have liked her vegatative likeness being plastered all over the national airwaves.

"If I'm ever in a vegatative state, please for the love of God don't show me like that on national television" -South Park

16. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Religion IS politics. A struggle of power. Just look at all the holy wars being fought.

17. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

So why is this the place for you to express religious views (prayers) but not for MacAztec?

18. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Good form. :)

My opinion of this whole mess changed when I found out how she got herself into this condition in the first place. No pity for the devil.

19. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Duh... because MacAztec isn't expressing the correct views! ;)

20. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Yeah, I agree. Anything really for or against religion really doesn't have a place in this discussion. Although I'd have to say that MacAztec was a little worse than wdlove. MacAztec stated his beliefs as facts while wdlove merely did something as a result of his beliefs. He didn't say, "There is a God, everyone who doesn't believe that is a moron." Whereas MacAztec insulted everyone who believes in the Bible by saying it's "crap." Wdlove never said atheism was "crap."

21. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Sorry to cause this. I just get fed up with people saying "its god choice to decide whether she should live, not the courts!"

Sure, I respect the Pope and everything, but not for his religious power. I respect him for what he does as a person. In history (long time ago), Popes were, lets say, like Saddam Husseins. They were large and in charge.

22. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

I don't believe this argument holds any weight. This is to say that governments - legislators, judges, police and military are capable of no wrong doing because it is an extension of god's will. I'll take the most extreme counter-example, the Nazi's attempted genocide of the Jews - you believe that was god's will, enacted by the Nazi's?

The list of counter-examples is endless... the Crusades, the Rape of Nanking, the rather successful genocide of Native Americans by the United States, or how about the more recent examples of genocide in Somalia or Sudan? I think it's much more logical to attribute these atrocities to the evil nature that exists within humanity than to say these things are part of god's will. All of the above mentioned horrors were sanctioned and carried out by authoritative institutions.