Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarshallM

macrumors member
May 20, 2007
UK
if Apple denied an official unlock, yes. They are not obligated to support an unlock created by a software exploit. Official unlocks come from company approved codes. Apple is not legally bound to support iphonesimfree. Its absurd to argue they are. Anyone pissed about this (and I agree you 100% have a right to an unlocked phone) take it up with your local government and apple to demand an official unlock. They cannot deny that.
Indeed, it is correct that iPhones are not subsidised by the network at all yes? Both UK and US.

If they're not I'm going to walk into o2, buy one and demand them to unlock it in front of me.. or go down to the county council office which is a 5 minute walk.

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
Indeed, it is correct that iPhones are not subsidised by the network at all yes? Both UK and US.

If they're not I'm going to walk into o2, buy one and demand them to unlock it in front of me.. or go down to the county council office which is a 5 minute walk.

Go for it. You'll have more luck that way than software exploits. It'll take longer but if you have consumer laws on your side you have a MUCH better chance that you'll be taken seriously.

Fluffymuff

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2007
Say you're a cookie manufacturer and sell those fab iCookies. Here comes the blog, that tells you how to modify your iCookie with sweet chocolate spicing. Well, you have a new recipe for iCookie 1.1.1. and want to advertize it as the optimal snack for diabetics. Granted you should issue a press release, that 'hacked iCookies with modified icing' may not hold that promise.
Whaa... :eek:

I have modded my iCookie with sweet chocolate spicing and have been advertising them as the optimal snack for diabetics.

Is this not the case? :confused::confused::confused:

GQB

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
so you guys are telling me that i unlocked the phone now and now even if i restore it back to factory settings it will still be broken and im screwed or what? please tell me its going to be ok :( im worried

The only reports (if any) of irreparable damage to an unlocked phone has been from the hacking community itself. Very convenient rumor to start. The only way for that to be possible is if 1.1.1 prevented further firmware updates or restores, which is clearly not the case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.