Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imola.zhp

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2010
Mud Island (Memphis), TN
Keypad locks have been a thing for ages. I don't need HomeKit (and the price that goes along with it) to use that. If I want to use a keypad I'll buy a cheaper keypad option.

If locks like this want to be useful, at least in my opinion, they need to offer an easier option that you can't get by paying less. NFC and Bluetooth should both make this more than possible.

Checking your phone or asking Siri if you remembered to lock your door isn't convenient? Kwikset Kevo uses Bluetooth and can be bought on eBay for about $125. It isn't HomeKit compatible, yet, an optional bridge is coming that will talk to it but I'm concerned it won't be HomeKit compatible (I hope I am wrong).

DrMotownMac

Contributor
Jul 11, 2008
Michigan
I have this exact lock minus the homekit integration on my new home. I love the damn thing! It just works! I never have to fuss with the key and I set it to autolock when I close the door. My version uses a wink hub to enable the smartphone features. It can have up to 30 different codes and can be deleted at anytime so I dont have to worry about giving out my code to the maid or maintenance worker. I might upgrade the lock to this homekit version in the future, I'll wait for the price to go down.

Thanks! That was much more helpful than another comment from the peanut gallery about how ugly it looks. We can all see what it looks like, and we can all judge its appearance based on our own aesthetics, or in my case, lack thereof. BUT, only people who've USED them can really comment about whether or not it's worth the money. I want to ditch all my keys...home, office, car, etc. And I want to know which devices will most effectively allow me to do that. What the freakin' thing looks like on my door is a much lower priority....at least for me.

Reactions: imola.zhp

OCDMacGeek

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2007
Looking at the picture, I don't see a lock button. I hope you can lock it from the outside (as you leave the house) without using your key. I have a Kwikset one that has a lock button.

Does anyone have an answer on this? Can you manually lock from the keypad?

Bistroengine

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2004
Sorry to say but that's one ugly looking smart lock.

Yes, might be ugly but it perfectly matches the brand new Schlage handle set my wife picked out for our new front door. As long as the wife likes it that's all the matters ;)

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
Checking your phone or asking Siri if you remembered to lock your door isn't convenient? Kwikset Kevo uses Bluetooth and can be bought on eBay for about $125. It isn't HomeKit compatible, yet, an optional bridge is coming that will talk to it but I'm concerned it won't be HomeKit compatible (I hope I am wrong).

And something like that, for that price, is far better in my opinion.

I'm not saying I'm against all smart locks. I'm against paying an insane premium and not getting a lot out of it.

Nuvi

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2008
Yes, might be ugly but it perfectly matches the brand new Schlage handle set my wife picked out for our new front door. As long as the wife likes it that's all the matters ;)

Unfortunately, I have to fully agree...

imola.zhp

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2010
Mud Island (Memphis), TN
And something like that, for that price, is far better in my opinion.

I'm not saying I'm against all smart locks. I'm against paying an insane premium and not getting a lot out of it.

Good point, as quickly as the Kevo has dropped in price perhaps the best option is to just wait. I'm temped to pick up a Kevo off of eBay and use it for the time being. I fear that people being so quick to spend $250 on a smart thermostat is part of what has pushed these smart locks to the price they are. Fortunate for us, we really only need one, but if the price was 1/2 or 1/3, then we would put them on all 3 doors instead of just one.

BR3W

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2010
If this doesn't do what Kevo does already that's going to be annoying. I was all set to sell our Kevo and install this because the Kevo has some annoyances. The main one is anyone using it has to download the app, create an account, then you give them a key. It was so annoying that when I wanted to open the door for my general contractor I simply ended up leaving it unlocked all morning. After the chore our dog sitter went through to get it working as soon as he pulled out his iPhone in the doorway with his work crew, I realized that 10 minutes was just too long to bother everyone.

Then of course I left for work and didn't realize I hadn't left the door unlocked until I was on the freeway!

But if this doesn't allow me to walk in the door with the phone in my pocket, or simply triple tap the lock to close it like a Kevo, then it really undermines the main purpose of the thing...to get *me* in and out of the house compared to the far less frequently occurring someone else going in/out my house.

OCDMacGeek

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2007
I have been looking forward to this Shlage HomeKit enabled lock, and even pre-ordered it, but one thing that never quite sunk in was that this lock is only Bluetooth enabled -- not WiFi. This is a major problem, as the only other Bluetooth HomeKit device I own, the Elgato Eve/Room devices, are terrible. Their range is minimal and they work badly. I think I may cancel the preorder, as I am only really interested in WiFi enabled HomeKit accessories. They seem to work so much better.

http://www.cnet.com/products/schlage-sense-bluetooth-deadbolt/

shamus99

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2014
I have been looking forward to this Shlage HomeKit enabled lock, and even pre-ordered it, but one thing that never quite sunk in was that this lock is only Bluetooth enabled -- not WiFi. This is a major problem, as the only other Bluetooth HomeKit device I own, the Elgato Eve/Room devices, are terrible. Their range is minimal and they work badly. I think I may cancel the preorder, as I am only really interested in WiFi enabled HomeKit accessories. They seem to work so much better.

http://www.cnet.com/products/schlage-sense-bluetooth-deadbolt/
it works in conjunction with your apple tv

shamus99

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2014
If this doesn't do what Kevo does already that's going to be annoying. I was all set to sell our Kevo and install this because the Kevo has some annoyances. The main one is anyone using it has to download the app, create an account, then you give them a key. It was so annoying that when I wanted to open the door for my general contractor I simply ended up leaving it unlocked all morning. After the chore our dog sitter went through to get it working as soon as he pulled out his iPhone in the doorway with his work crew, I realized that 10 minutes was just too long to bother everyone.

Then of course I left for work and didn't realize I hadn't left the door unlocked until I was on the freeway!

But if this doesn't allow me to walk in the door with the phone in my pocket, or simply triple tap the lock to close it like a Kevo, then it really undermines the main purpose of the thing...to get *me* in and out of the house compared to the far less frequently occurring someone else going in/out my house.
locking seems to be done from the schlage name on the lock. unlocking would be tricky. you wouldnt want a stranger to be able to open while your standing on the other side of your door with your phone in your pocket.

OCDMacGeek

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2007
it works in conjunction with your apple tv

Yes, but Wifi devices can do this so much better. Bluetooth range is limited, so if your AppleTV is not within range of each of the doors you want to install one of these locks on, then you won't have access to them.

Also, as far as I can tell, the Apple TV only relays the signal when you are NOT on your own WiFi. I do not believe that it helps to get access to devices when you are on the same Wi-Fi. In other words if I am at home, but am far away from my lock, I won't be able to access it.

Last edited:

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
It appears to be powered by 4 AAA batteries (with a 9V backup). Is Wi-Fi even an option for that little power?

BR3W

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2010
locking seems to be done from the schlage name on the lock. unlocking would be tricky. you wouldnt want a stranger to be able to open while your standing on the other side of your door with your phone in your pocket.
The Kevo calibrates itself so it only opens when you're near the door (outside and touching the lock, not automatically) and won't unlock if you're standing on the inside.

Also, I don't think it will need AppleTV if you're on iOS 9 or above. AppleTV was necessary for remote homekit up to iOS8.

Last edited:

OCDMacGeek

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2007
It appears to be powered by 4 AAA batteries (with a 9V backup). Is Wi-Fi even an option for that little power?

Hmm. Excellent point. All the wifi stuff I have is electrical powered. I guess all door locks are battery operated, but does ZWave really take so much less power than Wi-Fi?

OCDMacGeek

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2007
I ordered four (!) of these suckers (new home, replacing the doors to the outside). Yup, expensive and probably unneeded.

Anyway, they've shipped. So, hopefully I get them by the end of the week.

I ordered some as well, but then I canceled and decided to wait for the first impressions. I was mainly concerned about the range of the Bluetooth, as the non-Wi-Fi devices HomeKit devices I have are my most problematic. I just did a video tour of my HomeKit enabled house, showing off my dozens of accessories. Check it out if interested!

shamus99

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2014
I ordered some as well, but then I canceled and decided to wait for the first impressions. I was mainly concerned about the range of the Bluetooth, as the non-Wi-Fi devices HomeKit devices I have are my most problematic. I just did a video tour of my HomeKit enabled house, showing off my dozens of accessories. Check it out if interested!

cool!

sammyman

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2005
I've been trying to set this up since Friday when I received my new lock and Apple TV.

NO LUCK! Remote access DOES NOT WORK.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.