School Cafeteria Doubles as Nightclub

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by mkrishnan, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I don't see what the big deal is... sometimes, after some hard dancing, you know, I'm hungry, and tater tots would really hit the spot. :rolleyes:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/31/us/31school.html?hpw

2. macrumors Core

miles01110

Couldn't help but chuckle at this. A school that houses a bar? CLOSE THE SCHOOL!

3. thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Srsly! Who wants to be tripping on little kids at the club? If they let little kids in the club, what's next, are they going to start letting ugly people in, too? :mad:

But while we're doing investigative reporting here, how many stripper poles are there in this school cafeteria? Inquiring minds want to know.

4. macrumors Core

iBlue

Oooh, tater tots!

I get a little tired of the whole "Won't somebody think of the children?!" mentality when no actual harm is coming to them. It's a property, not a sacred place. So long as each can operate individually without interference spilling over, why all the fuss? That's just making good use of property, that is! :D It's like recycling!

5. macrumors Core

miles01110

He's against that, too.

6. macrumors 6502a

And they only play Kidz Bop records.

7. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Why close the school? Really.

8. macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

Too funny! The rhetoric :D
    The school officials are caupght and start the spin machine.
    The senator abhored by the thought of alcohol in a school. I wouldn't be surprised if he had a few around his office.
    I enjoyed that bars on campus at my Uni. :)

But I think it was poor judgement to have a bar in an elementary school.
    Just imagine the kids Monday morning ... " mmm the smell of beer ... & smoke.
    Not to mention the kids wondering why what the condom machines are in the restrooms.

9. thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So I dance with kids at the camp I volunteer at, all the time, and I walked into this bar last week with some friends, and "Party in the USA" was being played, and I was like, "You know, you don't get too much Miley Cyrus in bars...."

EDIT: Speaking of the rhetoric, it's too bad the club didn't have a more inappropriate name, like "Recess" or "Hot for Teacher." :D

10. macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

If I'm understanding this right, the bar only operated on weekends when no children were present, and children were not exposed to the alcohol in any way nor even aware that it was present, correct?

I understand the basic objection over having the two coexist in the same location, but I don't think it's nearly the issue it's being made out to be if they were sandboxed from each other to such a degree that the students were not aware. And even if it were an issue, why would you close the school and not the bar??

11. macrumors 68000

Antares

What kind of comment is that (and by bolding what you did)? Even as a joke, that just fuels continued misperceptions. Which is completely wrong.

You're giving me a business idea there. Seriously. Thanks. This reminds me of an old schoolmate who now runs a bar called "Cherch." Which is great since he can cleverly market using the play on words....You can say things like, "I'm going to Cherch on Sunday..." "...to have some beers and watch the game."

And ditto on some of the thoughts here. The bar and kids don't mingle or cross in any way. What's the issue? I know some cities have laws which state a bar cant be located within X number of distance near a school. But this is a little different.