School Courses for the 2006-2007 Year

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by irain, Mar 2, 2006.

1. irain macrumors regular

Aug 1, 2005
    I was just curious to see what courses and what levels (basic, standard, honors, AP) high school/college students are enrolled in for next year.

Here are mine...

1. Religion- Honors

2. French- Honors

3. Geomtery- Standard

4. Asian/African Studies- Honors

5. English- Honors

6. Studio Art- Honors

7. Photography- Standard

8. Study Hall
  2. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Apr 11, 2004
    I take the IB and in the IB we have to pick 6 courses 3 standards and 3 highers and we have to take this wierd course called TOK(theory of knowledge).
    1. English A1 Higher
    2. Spanish A2 Higher
    3. Economics Hiigher
    4. Maths Studies Standard
    5. Biology Standard
    6. History Standard
    7. Theory of Knowledge
    8. PE

EDIT: These are the language levels. A1= You speak the language very well, literature study. A2= Fluent level, half literature half language study B= You have a decent level, you can understand ost thing, mostly language study. AB INTIO= you cant speak it, you are learning the basics
  3. homerjward macrumors 68030

May 11, 2004
    fig tree
    English III AP/GT
    American History AP
    French III Pre-AP (honors)
    Physics I Pre-AP
    Chemistry II AP
    Calculus AB AP
    Multimedia/Interactive Internet
    Advanced Animation

the advanced animation is still undediced though
  4. Z6128 macrumors regular

Jun 20, 2005
    New Jersey
    1.Statistics with Probability Honors
    2.English 4 Honors
    3.Spanish 4 Honors
    4.French 3 Honors
    5.German 2 Honors
    8.Gym :(
  5. jakochampolska macrumors 6502

Jul 31, 2005

I wont be fining out mine in 2 weeks or so...
  6. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Feb 27, 2005
    1) AP English Composition
    2) English 3 - Honors
    3) AP U.S. History
    4) Advanced Algebra - Honors
    5) AP Studio Art
    6) Art 3 Magnet - Honors
    7) Physics/Robotics Engineering Honors
    8) Improvement Association (once a week after school class that I created, worth .5 credits)

I'm graduating early with 24.1 credits - you need 24. I have to take two English classes because you're required to have taken 4 in highschool. I'll be taking my senior year classes at a local college.
  7. Z6128 macrumors regular

Jun 20, 2005
    New Jersey
    haha, i took out my lunch soph and junior year to take the extra languages. people think i'm crazy for taking the extra classes. for whatever reason they're the only classes that come really easy to me. i'd take more but those are all my school offers. :D
  8. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

Apr 12, 2005
    Moorestown, NJ
    This is what my junior year at Moorestown High School's lookin' like:

AP European History
    AP Latin IV
    Honors Environmental Sciences (used to be AP..)
    Honors English III
    Honors Economics
    Honors Debate II
    Algebra II
    Career Planning (i hate required crap :mad: )

won't know the order for a long time....... just a list of what im taking.
  9. Timepass macrumors 65816

Jan 4, 2005
    I wouldnt kill the Career Planning to much. Chances are it going to suck but you may found out that there are jobs out there that go for the things you really enjoy that you didnt know about.

Right now I wish I had something like that in my past instead of taking 2 major changes to find out what I really wanted to do. (as for the major changes it went Archtechure, Civil Engineering, and now constuction techology). Mind you the jum from Arch to CE was really quickly and I changed it after talking with the Arch department knowing that was not what I wanted. It was CE then. Talk with a prof there and he suggested I look at Ctech but I was set on being an engineer like my father. Well 2.5 years later I relieze that there are things in CE that I just have a lot of trouble doing and just dont enjoy. Change over to Ctech losing a semster of classes. pretty minor lose considering the major change but it doing what I really want to do and that is to be superindent at job sites (that one is a pretty recent one but it was because didnt know truelly what they did until I talk with a company and from talking with me they told me that is what I would really enjoy and where I wanted to be. Told me more about it and i have to agree with them).

In hind sight I may of not even gone in to consuction field. I might of gone something in the IT area or mechical area. I figure out shortly after starting CE that if I had it to do over I would of gone more in the Mechical side of things but I was to far invested in what I am doing now and i do enjoy it. Still I enjoy it and I am looking forward to doing the stuff for a living.

My advice to you is see what out there and you may find out that you really will find something you never thought of.
  10. edge540 macrumors regular

May 10, 2004
    I remember that during the IB I took...
    1. English A1 Standard
    2. Spanish A2 Standard
    3. Theory of Knlowledge
    4. Psychology Higher
    5. Computer Science Higher
    6. Physics Higher
    7. Math Methods.

Now in my Sophomore year at college, im pretty much just learning new things as the IB program is so good that they teach you pretty much through the first year and a half of college. Atleast for me. New courses next semester (Junior) is going to look like,

1. Scientific and Technical Communications
    2. Electric and Electronic Circuits
    3. Fluid Mechanics
    4. Fluid Mechanics Lab
    5. Mechanics of Materials
    6. Complex Variable
  11. Tigger7 macrumors newbie

Dec 14, 2005
    LOL, I am going back to school again. Its been 23 years since high school. I think I will have to take:

Remedial Math, Remedial English and Remedial Reading before they let me take anything else!!! Its amazing what you forget over the years.
  12. homerjward macrumors 68030

May 11, 2004
    fig tree
    ah...european history AP. my school doesn't offer that unfortunately. my old school did and it was one of the classes i was looking forward to taking...:( im gonna try to talk to the history dean about offering it but it doesnt look good
  13. cslewis macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2004
    40º27.8''N, 75º42.8''W
    Wow, my sophomore courses are going to be pretty basic:

AP US History
    Honors English 10 (AP not offered in 2006-2007)
    Honors Biology 10 (AP not offered in 2006-2007)
    Academic Algebra II
    Public Speaking
    Economics and Personal Finance
    Chorus (.67 credits for mumbling! Yessss!!)
    Driver's Ed
    Family Consumer Science
    German III

In addition to being in one of those one-to-one districts, our high school has one of the strictest graduation requirements in the state. You have to remain in school until everyone in your class graduates, even if you have more than the 24 credits needed to earn your diploma. Our valedictorians routinely head off to college with 35 high school credits under their belts.
  14. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    Well, I've only got half a year to go and our year runs from late-Feb till early-Nov but here they are for autumn session 2006:

Chem 364 - Molecular Structure and Spectroscopy (Quantum Chemistry...ergh...) 8 credit points
    Pol 111 - Australian Politics (cause why the hell not?) 6 credit ponts
    Mark 101 - Introduction to marketing. 6 credit points

I only need to pass the chem subject but I enrolled in the other two so I can keep my independent youth allowance from Little Johnny. You need to be a full time student (18cp I think) to keep your YA and considering mine's paying my rent I thought it would be a good idea.

I have uni 3 days a week, only 12 hours so that's pretty easy but the subjects are pretty tough with respect to the readings required and Chem is really tough, it's my 3rd go at this subject. I have the 144 credit points needed to graduate but I need the 8 chem credit points to graduate with a chem major (no major, no graduation). Oh how I hope this is the year, so sick of Uni right now. It has been good however as my enrollment back in 2001 was just a blank sheet of paper with a signature at the bottom and I had to figure out all the subjects I wanted to do. By taking so bloody long to pass 3rd year chem and graduate I've been able to fill in time with some good electives like Law and Contract Law, Geography, Literature and Art in Rennaissance Europe, Human Relaions Management, all sorts of things. Good fun but too damned long.
  15. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

Aug 20, 2003
    Long Beach, California
    That's crazy. I'd never get out of high school!

Because of the other people, mind you...

Here's my list:
    • AP Calculus
    • AP Government/Economics
    • AP Music Theory
    • British Literature Honors (if the class doesn't go through, I'll default to AP English Literature)
    • Chamber Orchestra
    • Geology at my local Community College ('cause I've already taken Biology, Chemistry, and Physics, and our AP Environmental Science class is a joke)
    • Spanish 7/8

This past year I took 4 AP's (Physics B, Psychology, English Language, and U.S. History) and I've had a rough time keeping a 4.0. I'll definitely be looking forward to next year!
  16. SurfinSHELL23 macrumors regular

Oct 18, 2004
    Aberdeen, NJ
    Let's see... I'll be a junior... all at honors level.

English III
    Latin III
    US History II
    Engineering Physics
    Civil Engineering and Architecture
  17. kretzy macrumors 604

Sep 11, 2004
    Canberra, Australia
    Well in my last year of HS, my subjects were:
    Maths Methods (advanced)
    History (Revolutions)

This year, I've just started Uni doing a double degree in Media and Communications/Commerce. I have four subjects per semester, 2 commerce, 2 Media totaling about 12 contact hours a week ( :D :p ). My subjects for the year are:
    Introduction to Media and Communications
    Media, Politics and Society
    Professional Writing
    Global Politics
    Introductory Microeconomics
    Introductory Macroeconomics
    Quantitative Methods (statistics) = YUK
    Accounting Reports = also YUK

I think I'll change accounting to marketing or something more interesting like that. I'd do the same for QM except it's compulsory.
  18. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

Apr 12, 2005
    Moorestown, NJ
    Yeah it's like i know what i want to do and that's that, but the class is absolutely dreadful, and the teacher is very feh. Thanks for the advice though :)

That's a shame, it seems like a really neat class. Good luck with talking to your dean. Well look on the bright side, it's AP so you can take it in college if you choose to do so ;) . What AP history classes does your current school offer, any other than U.S.?
  19. homerjward macrumors 68030

May 11, 2004
    fig tree
    world history (sophomore class) but unfortunately i wasn't told about that after switching form another school. oh well. we also have ap gov/econ but unfortunately no ap history electives. my counselor said it's probably a funding issue :eek:
  20. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

Apr 12, 2005
    Moorestown, NJ
    What's engineering Physics, is that considered an actual class under your science program like Physics or what? It's rather neat how classes vary so much within schools, there have been quite a few courses both not offered nor that i have heard of already:)
  21. besler3035 macrumors 6502

Oct 29, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I haven't even begun to think about next year yet...we don't register for classes til late March or early April. Here's my workload now:
    - Humanities 202 (required, 3 credits)
    - Operating Systems (3 credits)
    - Observational Astronomy (3 credits)
    - Mass Media (3 credits)
    - Sports Editor/Assistant Editor credit from newspaper (3 credits)

And in the fall I had:
    - Humanities 201 (required, 3 credits)
    - Earth Environments (4 credits)
    - Publication Practicum (1 credit)
    - Career & Self Awareness (1 credit)
    - Introduction to Computing (3 credits)
    - Structure & Logic (3 credits)
    - Fencing (1 credit)

I was originally majoring in Computers but because my college uses all Windows PC's, I decided to switch my major into a contractual one between journalism, graphic design, and communications.
  22. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

Aug 20, 2003
    Long Beach, California
    These are the two that interest me. What is Art 3 Magnet - Honors? What level of Physics is the other class, and is it more focused towards mechanical physics (hence robotics)?
  23. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

Apr 12, 2005
    Moorestown, NJ
    Yeah my school doesn't have any AP history electives either, and we don't have AP gov/econ, we just have Honors economics for the finances and stuff (which im taking this year, taught by my current AP US teacher :D ) and then Honors National Gov't is like a semester course because my school makes you take 1.5 years of US history. So most people take that in conjunction with the Honors Contemporary History (1920-present).

World History is just offered as the Freshman history, all on level which is rather silly in opinion. I do agree with your counselor, funding or staffing is probably the issue from having an AP Euro course.:(

EDIT: Actually i just realized my High School does offer a history elective, AP World Art.. but most people just take that because it "looks good" on your transcript, not that they have any interest in the subject whatsoever.
  24. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

Apr 12, 2005
    Moorestown, NJ
    i was going to ask that very same question. the art department in my school is very limited, fine arts 1, FA 2, then Hon. Studio Art 1 and SA2 for true fine arts courses...excluding stuff like ceramics and stuff.
  25. eva01 macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
    i don't know exactly what i am taking but it is something like this for first semester

Physics I
    A&P I
    BioChem (possibly)
    and some stupid GER class