School Mistakes Huge Burrito for a Weapon

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by craigdawg, Apr 30, 2005.

1. craigdawg macrumors 6502

STEP AWAY FROM THE CARNITAS. :p
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/burrito_...DQEtbAF;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

2. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

3. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

4. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

5. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

They really overreacted... honestly, a burrito?

6. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

That's the kind of stupidity you only get living so close to the border of Texas.

7. nightdweller25 macrumors 6502

8. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

At least the kid wasn't carrying in the lethal version of the burrito.

A 30-inch bean burrito, beer, and a lighter would make the kid as lethal as a redneck at a chili competition.

10. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    well whoever called in the tip did the right thing i would be suspicious too if a kid walks in with a strangly large package under his arm hidden under a tshirt...

that said at least its all a big hoopla about beans

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Taco Bell is now on the axis of evil. :p Watch out, he may be packing dinner rolls. :D

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Call in the bomb sniffing dog I think the kid just let one loose. :p :rolleyes:

13. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

In other news: President Bush has announced a full scale invasion of Taco Bell to liberate their patrons of gas.

14. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

Come on guys, I wouldn't be so flippant about something like this. I think it's a good thing schools are being overly cautious, especially in light of that kid killing 7 students and his grandparents in Minnesota earlier this year. You never know what some kid will do anymore, and it's better to be safe than sorry. In other news, I'm going to be eating a burrito for dinner tonight. :)

15. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Yes, This kid could of really done some damage if somebody got lettuce in the eye. :rolleyes: 911 what is your emergency, Yes I think one of my students just brought a burrito to school and I think he intends to do harm to his intestines and the air quality around him. Don't panic Ma'am officers are on the way with napkins. :p :D :rolleyes:

16. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

17. mac-er macrumors 65816

Why wrap it in a t-shirt? Was the foil not sufficient?

That just made it look even more suspicious because you couldn't tell the shape as well.

Something also doesn't add up..
    It says the students were called into the auditorium, and that is when the student with the burrito realized they were talking about his burrito? Then he goes to the office to "turn himself in"?

So, someone sees this kid with a suspicious package, and they then have no clue where he was in the school?

18. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

19. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

i'm sure that a kid looking to do the next school shooting probably wouldn't carry a gun wrapped in tin foil and a t-shirt ... i would expect that he would try and hide it a little better :rolleyes:

20. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I was thinking that in the wrong stomach, any burrito could be a lethal weapon! :D

21. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I understand where you are coming from, but just how safe do we want the world to be?

22. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

It's possible to take school security too far--and the REAL issue is one of parenting combined with taking mental health seriously in America.

But I don't think this was overreacting.

* If you went to maximum alert every time a kid carried a wrapped 30" long narrow object into a school, how many people would you inconvenience? Very few. Lots of objects are 30" long, but few have any need to be brought into school unannounced by a kid--much less wrapped in a shirt. It's just not the kind of thing that comes up often enough to make the reaction a problem.

* That is a REALLY BIG BURRITO. I think if it was my call, I might have put police on the rooftops EVEN if I knew it WAS a burrito. We just don't know what a burrito of that size is capable of. It's uncharted territory.

I think it was great of the kid to bring enough to share, though. Not his fault, just a big misunderstanding. It sounds pretty tasty, in fact.

23. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

....and if it did turn out to be a pipebomb and the chief of police said "We were informed it was giant-burrito day at the local taco shop" we would all call for his/her head on a platter.