School Purposes - Macbook vs macbook air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by bluedoggiant, Jan 27, 2008.

1. macrumors 68020

bluedoggiant

Well, I need a laptop for school, and I'm, well STUCK!!! If I get macbook air, I would leave it at a standard configuration. if i get a macbook, it will be 2gb, 2.2ghz, 160gb, and well, color i dont know.

So basically if i get a macbook air it would be the cheapest i can get, and if i get a macbook, it would be ALMOST high end.

My real question is, which would be better for taking to school to type on and take notes, and take home and move the files to my imac for printing and homework? I like the portability of the macbook air, power, not so much, but I think i can get by it, since i cant get a 1.8ghz (dont ask why i cant). but that means ill get the macbook air only for school, and i can take it everywhere, and use it for web surfing, and due to the small HD size, there is really no use for putting my photos and music, and music wont sound good on its mono speakers anyway.

If i get a macbook, i can use it for school, I would have to care for it more cuz in my opinion, the heavier something is, the more fragile when you drop it (dropping a nano vs a classic). and i can put all my files on the macbook (well, almost all), and keep it for a very long time (2-4 years).

macbook air will be more convenient, but will have a shorter time span.

So all in all, what i think, is that the macbook air (yes, im repeating my self), will be more convenient, i dont mind no optical, nor a second usb port, but the mba will have a shorter life span.

the macbook air, a little heavier, is nice, isnt as slick as the mba (and if i get a macbook, i would have to wait for penryn), but will last longer, but i will use it more, but in less places.

so from that (btw, sorry for the lengthy post), i would use the mba more in its small life span, and the mb less in its longer life span.

and i already have an imac that I LOVE, and getting a macbook will start to get me comparing the two, but an mba just means that i will love my imac, and use my mba as just my second computer.

What do you think i should get?? sorry for the lengthy post.

P.S. for some reason i dont think i mentioned everything:p.

2. macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

Id spend the money on a Middle White Macbook..and upgrade the hard disk to max...and third party ram

then you can use the extra money for a external keyboard or mouse or whatever

you will have more use with a macbook..then an air

burn/watch DVDS! and hold all ur music etc

3. macrumors regular

Macbook. Simple. It can also be used as a desktop, which is a great feature. And it's cheaper. 2 pounds will not make a noticeable difference.

4. macrumors 603

netdog

The MBA will be great for school. Bookbags do get heavy.

5. thread starter macrumors 68020

bluedoggiant

Yes, but i have a desktop, as ive said, i dont want to use one more than the other. i know its kinda dumb, but i would need to use my imac more (i got the 2.8 for a reason, one is for that). if i get an mba, i will only use it for what i intend to use it for. i dont plan on mice or anything, just a plain laptop. not a desktop replacement or anything.

EDIT: i should have made a poll:mad:

6. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The midrange white Macbook is the best option. Upgrade the RAM and hard drive later down the road. I enjoyed taking notes using VoodooPad Lite.

7. macrumors newbie

Get the Air. The weight IS a huge difference no matter what anyone says!, the air is nearly half the weight of the MacBook. Lug it around often enough and you'll be glad u got the Air. And you know, especially if you are a student lugging around books and what not on top of it all. As you've said, you already have a desktop that you use. You need a portable. Then get the ultra-portable. I've got a MacBook now. Yes its light. but if it could weigh 3lbs? OMG, i'd be in heaven.

GET THE AIR!!!

8. macrumors 68040

ok..i take my MBP (weighs a little MORE than the macbook) to all my classes and take notes on it. No problems whatsoever. Get a macbook. The macbook air is designed for people that need a second computer. It is not a primary computer.

9. macrumors newbie

But he said he already has an iMac that he loves as his primary. He needs a secondary portable comp. Why is no one listening to what he says he needs rather than what we think that we ourselves need. *giggles* If he needs a portable as a secondary, it really is a no brainer. The AIR would be perfect for that.

10. thread starter macrumors 68020

bluedoggiant

Did you read my post at all? I already have an imac, so your telling me i should get a macbook air and macbook at the same time

11. macrumors 6502

joekix

kind of sounds like you want the air. get the air and be happy :)

12. thread starter macrumors 68020

bluedoggiant

My ONLY problem with the air is that it has a short life span and cant do much, which, IMO, is the really the same thing, if someone can convince that it can last long and does more than i think it can, i can get it, otherwise, ill shoot for an mb with a longer life span, and try not to like TOO much that ill abandon my beautiful imac

13. macrumors 68040

no not really

ok..if you have an imac and you'll just use the laptop for notes and light stuff..then fine..get it

i don't think you'll notice 2 less pounds in a backpack though

14. thread starter macrumors 68020

bluedoggiant

yes, but my main problem is its short life span, it doesnt seem like a long lasting computer, but it looks more durable than the macbook, by far.

15. macrumors 68040

everything i've read points to the mba being durable. also, apple can replace the battery when it wears out. Macbook is plenty durable too. I wouldn't decide over durability issues. Regardless of which you buy, get a sleeve for it to protect it.

16. macrumors 68020

A 3lb aluminum computer is not going to be more durable than a regular plastic Macbook. More crushable, certainly. More dentable, too. But not more durable.

17. thread starter macrumors 68020

bluedoggiant

as in the speed of the processor being outdated. it already kinda is, so in a year, or at max two, the mba will really be useless, it will be GREAT while it lasts, but dumb and boring after a year. a macbook has a longer span, more power. its really complicated.

plus the mba is just gorgeous, a great companion to my imac

So your saying if i drop both an ipod nano and classic, the classic will have a lighter drop, and still be fully operable?

18. GAS
    macrumors regular

Why do you need power is all you're going to do is take notes:confused:
    The system requirements for word won't be more than 1.6ghz.

19. macrumors newbie

The way I see it, with the MacBook Air its the HDD that is the main drag on performance. Its a slow spinner at 4200rpm. And its not worth going with the SSD yet because of cost. But in a few years when u need the boost to extend its usable life, SSDs will be way cheaper with probably a lot more capacity to boot. And seeing they have illustrations that show it isn't too hard to take apart. Throwing in a zippy SSD with a large cap down the line will be the way to go. And its got the same integrated graphics chip as the MB so you won't be playing any hard core 3D on there no matter which u get. Plus u have your iMac for that already. As for CPU performance... Seriously, if you won't be doing hard core gaming, what pray tell will 1.8 or 2.4Ghz make in your life doing word processing, note taking, and web browsing. Its plenty fast for everything you will probably ever do on it. Anything else, u got your iMac for.

The MBP is a totally different animal. Like comparing apples to oranges. So if your choice is between the MB and the MBA as you are indicating, get the MBA.

20. macrumors 68020

Your comparison doesn't work for three reasons:

1. An iPod will, under any circumstances, fare better than a LAPTOP will (Thinkpads excepted) from a given drop.

2. The nano and the classic are made of the same material.

3. All laptops and iPods will have an equally "heavy" drop. A classic won't fall faster than a nano because it's heavier. An MB won't fall faster than an MBA because it's heavier.

21. macrumors 6502

joekix

get a used 12" powerbook like me. the 1.5ghz is a very capable and portable machine. it does pretty much everything my mbp does, just not as fast but still pretty snappy. you'll also be saving money. since you have main computer, this option isn't that bad. it's funny, because since i've gotten my powerbook last week, i haven't even touched my mbp.

22. thread starter macrumors 68020

bluedoggiant

Hmm...This is very hard. Right now I'm starting to think, maybe it isnt worth the extra $$$ for aluminum to match my imac, thiness, sexiness, and a blacklit keyboard. but if i get a macbook, im going to go through the same comparision problem as i did in the summer when i decided to go for a macbook instead of an imac, white vs black, but in the end, obviously, i got an imac.

So you think the nano will be more damaged?

23. macrumors member

the air is perfect for you, someone who already has a main computer but needs a secondary to take around and do smaller tasks on.

24. macrumors 68020

I'm not sure which would be damaged more in that case. The classic has a regular hard drive, which would be more prone to shock than the flash drive inside the nano. This is the only factor I can see as more likely to suffer damage in the classic. Are you planning on buying an SSD-driven Macbook Air? Because that's the only way you'd get the drive shock advantage over the regular Macbook.

25. macrumors 68040

elppa

As it won't be your primary computer, I'd say Air is the way to go.