school rant

Discussion in 'Community' started by Thanatoast, Oct 2, 2003.

1. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

so i walk in to the mixed computer lab today confident that i can show my japanese teacher how macs are easier to use because of their built in japanese support (which i learned about here, thanks everyone). i start to log in to a mac and the guy sitting next to me says "macs are useless, why are you using one?" unfortunately i didn't take the high road, and called him a dumbass.

so i get past the login screen and see that the it dept has the thing locked down tighter than...well, it looked like a friggin' playskool computer. there was no way to change the system prefs. what's more, they had the apps set up so that a single click could open them from this little "app window" thing. here i am on this playskool machine while the guy next to me is giving bemused looks.

then i opened up internet explorer to start the assignment for the day, and it asks me to enter my name and password to set up the internent connection. of course, the guy next to me is only having his assertion about the uselessness of macs proved to him now. i called over one of the it people (you know, those students who work the lab, but really don't have a clue) and she did some random clicking, saw she was getting nowhere and suggested i move to a different computer. i asked what was the point of having a mac in the lab if it wasn't going to be set up properly? she said that i can't expect all the computers to work all the time.

i was baffled by this response. what's really awful is that if the lab were set up with macs, they could all be set to japanese with a simple applescript from the teachers machine at the beginning of class, yes? built-in freakin' support, man! for the windows machines we had to download and install a program and even then it would only work in ms word. what a freakin pain in the ass! and everyone there thinks the pc's are so much better because they can do it! AARRRGH!

i'm sorry. i needed to vent. but i hate it when a) people assume macs are useless, b) they have that assumption proved by improperly set-up machines, c) it people are clueless, and d) macs get an undeserved bad name. no wonder everyone and their grandmother won't use them. they dismiss them and never bother to learn otherwise. and they get no help from anywhere. even and especially the people who are supposed to "know". what can we do?

edit: added some frikin' spaces :)

2. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Ignore those ignorant bastards or go teach them a thing or two about macs. Yes they are idiots thats becasue they are ignorant.

I also too hate when people say that macs suck or that they are useless. THEY ARE NOT USELESS. THE PEOPLE WHO DONT GIVE SOMETHING NEW A CHANCE ARE .....USELESS

:mad: :mad: :mad:

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I got all kinds of "fruit computer" and "toy computer" comments from various PC people around school, but at least with my laptop, I know it's set up right. I usually just laugh, and in more than one case, make them eat their words, particularly during that brief period when iTunes was sharing over the internet. :p

The iTMS is one of the few things I've seen that really made PC users jealous. Many of them would like a legal method that is as easy as what we got. Another is the absolute ease I have with connecting to the school network, and to external projectors. I saved more than one PC users butt when they got into trouble with a projector when they needed to make a presentation. And the fact that I could just fire up VPC and run windows in front of them was fun too. And when you explain to any coder that you are actually running *NiX, they take notice. I was surprised at how many com sci people didn't know that about OSX. And when I would tell them about the upcoming (and now here!) G5, that definetly turned heads. I even got lunch from a guy who didn't believe me when I told him in January that before the end of the year Apple would be back in the speed game. Not necessarily that they would be the fastest, but that we would be in the hunt again.:D

Oh well, just shrug it off. Not worth getting upset about really.

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Sure, it's understandable.

Most times I've been in class, the labbies have no clue and I have to tell them how to fix the problem. I've only had one class where we were using Mac OS X, but I ended up teaching the instructor how to connect to the server, so that she could show the class how to do it. Mostly, they just leave the computers alone because the creative people are afraid of anything electronic.

5. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

Normally, I would have grabbed the guy's head and smashed it off the desk. I think he'll keep his comments to himself next time.

6. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

you knows whats even worse than your experience?

Not using punctuation.

Use some fricken spaces!!!! :D

7. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Yeah well a Machine Crashed in my school, it locked up, they had repair software (norton is better then nothing).

So I started repairing the computer, the tech person walks over to me and asks
    'What are you doing?'
    Me: 'Uhh, repairing the computer, it crashed and norton says it needs to be repaired (as this is happening Norton says there is a B Tree Error and needs to be fixed)'
    Her: 'You Don't work here, you have no experiance with these computers, only a certified person can work and fix them'
    Me: 'I've used a Mac My whole life, this will not harm the computer (I click repair)'
    She: 'NEVER do that AGAIN, that could harm the machine!'
    Me: 'uhh'
    She: 'Okay, get out!'

:eek:

8. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Do you know what pisses me off about my school?

We have a frikin lab of 15 year old PCs (okay maybe not that old) in the library, and in the video room we have 5 very new G4s. I think they are dual 1.25's but they don't allow anyone but the animation class students to use them! Well, I joined the animation class thinking I was going to be learning how to animate things on the computer, but it turns out it was more of a photography II class. They use the computers twice a year.

So ulimately, I am stuck not only using PCs, but using sucky ones at that!

Sigh - I swear. The only reason they don't let people use the G4s is because it would be too convenient.

:rolleyes:

scem0 :eek:

9. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

if it makes you feel any better, i have a friend here at OU named Jef who's a big BSD guy. he didn't know much about macs though. i was in the process of redering this fractal he wrote, and he asked if i could send it to his server via SCP. i was like, "what's SCP?" he told me we could probably find a client on google. and then he saw that i had terminal, and he was like... maybe it already has it. i was like, "probably so, man, it's got just about anything any other unix box comes with." so he punches the command into the terminal and it works just perfect. over the past two weeks, he's been just amazed with all the unix stuff that OS X has. he totally wants to get a 12 inch powerbook as soon as he can afford it.

rock on, my second convert!