School Removes Cups With Gay Author Quote

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Sep 21, 2005.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

We wouldn't want pupils in a school to have open minds. Anybody could then put anything in them...

3. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Starbuck's cups have quotes on them? I drink too much coffee and haven't noticed them... :confused:

4. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Open mindedness at Baylor is vigorously discouraged. This is a new level of overt discrimination though.

5. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

i guess since its private school its ok( ok = not aganist the law) it should illegal, its like racism, there should be a law against it. but it seems are goverment is a bunch of bullies(too put it nicely :D

it would be like my school(private) not allowing books by African American to be in our school, but that would never happen cuz my school is super liberal we picked dennis kuchinich as the person to run against bush!!

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well, whatever. They're a private university, so they can do what they want in that regard. I wonder if they'd be so calm were the shoe on the other foot though...

7. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

surely you don't need to "wonder" about it....

8. iGary Guest

iGary

The shame is, they prolly get public funding to do this crap with. :rolleyes:

9. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

which is exactly why (public funding) i don't want them supporting gays in school, on my mofo'ing dime! :rolleyes:

10. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

This all seems a bit silly to me, but let me just play devil's advocate for a moment.

It's not just that the guy is gay, but he's suggesting that others become gay.

I don't know -- even if Baylor was a public school, would they really want to be that in-your-face about it?

It's not like they're censoring textbooks, they're just coffee cups.

That said, it does seem a bit extreme. What, are Baylor students suddenly going to throw their beliefs out the window just because of something they read on a coffee cup?

11. wrxguy macrumors 6502a

wrxguy

hahahahahha THAT IS WHAT I SAID!!! LOL but anyway...that is so close-minded and disturbing...private school or not, that is just disrepectful...Starbucks should have pulled there entire store from them for that ****...

12. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

A good friend of mine goes to Baylor. I'm gonna have to talk to her about it...

13. katchow macrumors 6502

seems like an odd thing to put on a coffee cup to begin with. trivializes the sentiment if you ask me. Though the quote is very emotional i don't find it particularly profound.

14. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

No, he's not.

Somebody please tell me how it is possible to 'become' gay? Besides, even if he was saying that — which he isn't — what the hell would be wrong with that anyway?

Did anybody here wake up one day and decide to change their sexual orientation? Can anybody who is straight here remember a time when they made a conscious decision to be attracted to the opposite sex? I don't think so...

What he's saying is: 'Don't closet yourself. Don't fall in with peer pressure. Don't make yourself miserable to conform. Be true to who you are'

Edit: I know you said you were being devil's advocate, Wordmunger. But the playing of that card doesn't place the argument beyond debate. Besides, I'm often wary of that phrase unless I know for sure what the authors' intentions and beliefs truly are.

15. iGary Guest

iGary

LOL

"Become Gay, Be Fabulous, Get Discriminated Against, Have People Hate You!!™"

LOLWTF!!!

16. Zaid macrumors 6502

Well said.

As for how one becomes gay, I've always loved this quote
    The next time someone asks you, "Hey, howdja get to be a homosexual anyway?" tell them, "Homosexuals are chosen first on talent, then interview... then the swimsuit and evening gown competition pretty much gets rid of the rest of them." ~Karen Williams

17. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

These would all be better quotes than the one chosen. Maybe that's why I don't have a particular problem with the coffee cup censorship. I don't have any problem with not publishing bad quotes.

18. katchow macrumors 6502

i was thinking the same thing.

19. Zaid macrumors 6502

I'm sorry but i don't see how these quotes are better that the one chosen. As far as I can see they all extol the benefits of not being afraid to be proud of who you are.

The chosen quote doesn't say, "OK be gay" it says "if you're gay don't be afraid to be yourself"

20. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

That's fine if you prefer the Maupin quote, but really, that's my point. People have different preferences. Just because one quote is not liked by some people doesn't mean they're discriminating against others who like it.

21. Zaid macrumors 6502

Agreed, however, getting the quote removed because you don't like what it says is discrimination. Lets face it, any quote that advocated being out would have been removed. Of course as a private institution this is their right. And i would defend their right to do this on their own campus, as I would defend anyone's right not to have such quotes in their home if they so wish. But just because it is (and should be) allowed does not make it any less discriminatory. Call a spade a spade.

Now people who campaign to have such material removed from general public circulation because they are offended by it, that is a completly different story. For them is reserved the fifth level of hell.

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I heard you can catch it from a toilet seat. It's those gay germs -- Look out!

;)

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I agree completely.

24. takao macrumors 68040

takao

hm .. am i the only one who was surprised what a starbucks was doing on a university anyways ?

25. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

Well it makes sense in this case, for this school considering the students and faculty will swallow anything their given or told unless it's advocating homosexuality. ;)