School starts Monday...ugh

Discussion in 'Community' started by mariahlullaby, Aug 6, 2005.

1. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

Who else starts school Monday?? Or soon? I'm going to be a senior in HS but I'm not really that excited. I still have work to do for summer reading..I'm such a freaking procrastinator!!!
    -Frankenstein (almost done with written work, read)
    -Macbeth (halfway done reading)
    -Waiting for Godot (done)
    -The Poet of Loch Ness (halfway done with written work, read)
    -And two books for Biology I haven't started yet. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

What classes are you guys taking? I'm taking AP Euro History, AP Biology, AP Lit, Advanced Alg and Trig (Pre-Calculus), Economics/Gov't, and French V (and taking the AP exam...we don't have an AP class at my school). I am soooo not looking foward to this year. I still have to take the SAT's for a third time (because I keep getting a 570 on math...meanwhile my other 2 scores are in the 700's and go up each time while the math score goes DOWN!! WHY?!!!!), college apps, working on weekends, plus freelance work for a realtor....ugh I feel sick. I also wanted to open my web site up again.

Who else is worried for school? :cool:

2. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I start next monday which is the 15th. I to have not finished my summer reading due to MR.
    I have:
    -Across Five Aprils
    -Fahrenheit 451 [cliche']
    -PT109 [boring]

3. Frisco macrumors 68020

School sure starts early for you guys! In NJ it doesn't start until after Labor Day. When did your Summer vacation start?

4. mariahlullaby thread starter macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

Errr...sometime around May 30th. Early, right??? This is the only school I've been to that goes does things this early. I always used to get out June 21st ish and start Aug 31st, Sep 1st or so.

5. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...a lot of schools are starting with the "year round" schedule - you strat in august but get more/longer breaks during the year. Its been like that for many years in a lot of European countries and in the last few years some of the USA/Canadian scholls have started to look at that system....oh yeah!

6. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

yeah, i had that in elementary school. we started...late julyish and got out mid-june but a month off in november and march was awesome :D
    i start school the 15th, like daveway, and i have to read to kill a mockingbird and write one of those chapter-by-chapter journals about it. im actually *really* looking forward to school cause this summer's been boring as anything and various other reasons...:)
    re the original poster, my 10th grade classes include (cant remember all atm) french 2 pre-ap which im really looking forward to; loved french 1 although it was incredibly easy, pre-calculus pre-ap, this awesome half english/half world history class my school offers (its a magnet school with a lot of electives so it allows to fit in all the fun stuff :D) god--cant remember my science class, 3d modeling, object-oriented programming, and uhh...thats all i can remember for now, have like 2 more electives i think.

7. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Don't worry, once school starts that feeling will go away after a few days. :D

I start school August 30 and I get out around June 22, but school gets out at 2:40, so my day might be shorter than others'.

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I think it'd be so weird starting school in the middle of the year. Down here we start in about February and finish in about November. As if you could possibly study over Christmas! :eek:

I suppose that's our summer though, so that changes things.

9. CompUser Guest

Hahhahaaa my schoool starts September 8th. :) :)

I'm going to be in 9th grade and I'm taking:
    Honors Science
    Honors History
    Honors English
    Honors Geometry
    Spanish 2 (no Honors available)
    Graphic Design (on PCs....WHAT?!)
    Applied Electronics
    Health and PE (required)

Because I am taking all honors classes (no AP in 9th grade), I don't have to take this stupid class called info management where they teach you how to study.

10. mariahlullaby thread starter macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

Wow, you guys take a lot of classes -- 8 or 9!! How long is your day/each of your classes? We only take six. I kinda wish we could take more because I've had to drop a lot of classes I'd have like to take (i.e. orchestra, Spanish) and I can't take Web Design at school.

Our day starts at 8:40 and we get out at 3:20. Frankly, I'd rather start at 7:40 and get out at 2:40.

11. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

For all you students who haven't finished your summer reading, www.sparknotes.com is the best website ever! Also www.pinkmonkey.com :D ;)
    (You should also read the book, you may like it...)

12. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

I got out like June 9th, and then school starts for me the 29th.

But the 30th is a retreat, and then the 31st we return. 1st theres school.

October - 7 days of school only.

13. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

Remember to really really enjoy your senior year, it'll be something you cherish the rest of your life and you can't repeat it. Well, hopefully you don't repeat it, that'd be a bad thing :)

Goodluck on the new year everyone heading back to school!

Jack

14. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

the only thing i regret was not ditching class because it was such a waste of time :rolleyes:

15. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

I start sophomore year tomorrow at a new school... and it's my birthday... :(

16. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

To me senior year wasn't about the school actually, it was the friends, the football games, the girls, the parties, the everlasting relationships that you will keep, the teachers, the experience, everything whoo heh.

17. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I would love to have links to some of you guys skedules, school calendars are a hot issue in my county (forsyth) in NC.
    I have been a vocal parent, about longer summer breaks and less breaks during the year. At one point we had a 1 week fall break the week before thanksgiving break. For the younger kids the teachers spend more time teaching them what they just forgot over the break than teaching new material for the first days back from a week off.
    My kids go back on the 25th, my wife is a teacher and officially starts the 16th (she has been doing odds and ends all summer to prep for the next year).

I hope you all get the best teachers, lots of support, and all work hard-cause it is your future you are preparing for!

18. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Just wait until "summer vacation" consists of a week at the beach with the kids.

19. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Just thought you should know, that a lot of drama people will die if you say that name in its entirety-- better so say, "MacB."
    My senior year in HS wasn't too bad, had a couple AP classes and yeah, college apps suck... for my SATs I did WAAAAAAAY better on my verbal than math. Hee. I'm sure you'll be fine. Just have to prioritize-- standardized tests, college apps, grades in classes, then fun... is what worked for most people. Hee, but I was naughty.

But it's weird, I'm sort of nervous for school this year (entering what will technically be fourth year of college). Strange, eh? I'm not really a senior, I won't even be a super senior-- I'm woefully behind and I blame it on a bad decision to go to UC Berkeley even though I knew I would be miserable. I'm still reeling from my experience there (and no, it is NOT because I couldn't get good grades, geeze people). Anyhow, so yeah, I am a bit nervous for this fall semester. Haha, I haven't even bought my books yet and classes start Aug. 29th. Sigh.

20. AmericanIdiot12 macrumors regular

i am

i live around atlanta too and in about 12 hours...ill be a 1/3 done with the school day

21. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

I go back on the 7th of september thankfully, yay junior year of college, only two more till i go on to medical school :/

22. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

That's an awesome book, I've read it 3, maybe 4 times.

Although fictional, Harper Lee based the scenario on a real life court case, and some of the the characters on real people. Dill, the boy who visits town and pals around with Scout and her brother is based on Truman Capote, who was friends with Harper Lee as a boy in Monroeville AL.

23. CompUser Guest

I have to read Animal Farm by George Orwell for 9th Grade Honors English which I think is pretty stupid because the book is a political satire on the Russian Revolution which we do not study until our jounior year. Not that you can't learn things from the book but I just wonder why we read that book now.

24. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

It's because (1) it's an easy book to read and (2) it's not JUST about the Russian Revolution... it's about revolutions and communism in general. Besides, once you've assimilated the story, understanding all sorts of real-life historical events will be easier. (I did my senior English paper on 1984... I'm a big fan of Orwell's.)

25. wrxguy macrumors 6502a

wrxguy

Art Institute

Im attending the Art Institute of Dallas and we dont start till Oct 3rd!