Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

garzy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 21, 2002
the visual arts department at my school decided to try OSX, but due to problems with printers and scanning equipment they reinstalled 9 for use until the end of the semester when they will try to work out bugs. it sucks, but at least they tried. most of the education market has failed to even attempt using OSX

GigaWire

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2001
We installed OS X.2 on 12 Macs in our digital media lab. The only problem was with a Canon film scanner, for which there are no drivers on X yet. Other than that, everything has been downright charming.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Last summer, I helped set up a new computer classroom with Mac OS X 10.1 and Mac OS X 10.1 Server. We had a lot of growing pains getting everything running, mostly because we wanted to put home directories on the server so we didn't need assigned seats and so we had only a single machine to backup. We had to wait for drivers from manufacturers, but we eventually got all problems solved and the classroom has been in use every school day this school year. We have yet to upgrade to Mac OS X 10.2, which would let us try netbooting. We'll probably upgrade after school gets out in June so we have plenty of time to experiment.

So don't give up hope!

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
We are converting all the macs in our Music Tech dept to OSX this summer, had to wait for ProTools and Logic to make it over.

I've been running OSX on the Ti Book for six months, and most of our Digital Arts labs are OSX (300+G4 towers). Just bought 4 x-servers and I think ordered an x-raid or 2 for the video boys.

I've found OSX to be more useful by far in education, interfacing with PC networks and data projectors alone has been much easier.

Had to buy a new scanner though:(

OSX is the best audio operating system there is.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
my school's art dept. has about 10 OS X powermacs with the 17 inch LCDs... i don't know HOW they got the $ for them, or what they use them for, but they are REALLY nice for our school, which is mostly on Dells with crappy FORTRES software on them to cut performance and usability by 500%.

seriously, that software mede the P4 1.8 GHz boxes run slower than my P3 933. anyways.

our journalism room is on OS 9 powermacs running like pagemaker 6 and photoshop 6. They have big 20 inch trinitron monitors. i think the place has maybe 2 new OS X powermacs, but no one seems to appreciate them, by and large. our journalism department is composed almost entirely of PC users (at home), and the newspaaper sucks like nothing else.

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
my school is all on os 9 but i think they just this semester bought a lab full of 15inch imacs and i think they are able to boot in os 10 as well as nine. hopefully over the summer they'll do a full switch

daniel77

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2002
seattle, wa
Re: school switches back to OS9...

Originally posted by totalr0xx0r
the visual arts department at my school decided to try OSX, but due to problems with printers and scanning equipment they reinstalled 9 for use until the end of the semester when they will try to work out bugs. it sucks, but at least they tried. most of the education market has failed to even attempt using OSX

my library's whole imac, powermac setup use 0S X, course those are on the 600mhz DV iMacs, and I think 867 G4's, course you have to be a senior to use the G4, load o BS :rolleyes:

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
My school uses dells :mad:

But my iBook is the only computer that runs OS X in my school... It rocks. I can plug into the network, and access my user folder on the NT server faster than the tech guys can with the pee-cee's. I love it.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
even with the ten for teachers program that apple's doing none of my teachers are ANYWHERE near willing to use Jaguar or anything above OS 9 for that matter.
It's driving me nuts. The fact that as a teacher you're getting a free copy of a wonderful operating system is not a good enough reason to upgrade?! A lot of people can't even AFFORD an upgrade to 10.2 or they want a serious discount off of their purchase.
This is insane! My former history teacher even uninstalled OS X on his (now old) snow iBook because he didn't want to use it.
And to see something like OS 9 running on a whole bunch of wonderful MDD Power Macs makes it seem like a complete waste of money.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by Shadowfax
my school's art dept. has about 10 OS X powermacs with the 17 inch LCDs... i don't know HOW they got the $ for them, or what they use them for, but they are REALLY nice for our school, which is mostly on Dells with crappy FORTRES software on them to cut performance and usability by 500%.

seriously, that software mede the P4 1.8 GHz boxes run slower than my P3 933. anyways.

our journalism room is on OS 9 powermacs running like pagemaker 6 and photoshop 6. They have big 20 inch trinitron monitors. i think the place has maybe 2 new OS X powermacs, but no one seems to appreciate them, by and large. our journalism department is composed almost entirely of PC users (at home), and the newspaaper sucks like nothing else.

Yea Fortres really sucks. Of coarse I found the first way around my schools current version and shut down their servers for like 8 days. :rolleyes: I didn't do it! :cool:

Anyway my school is so stupid the run all of there new 15" iMac systems on Os 9.

They All have Os X on them, but they places all of these locked features that I haven't found a way to bypass yet. :(

My school is a real Bitch about that. :mad:

Bah. I can't even use the killer Os X.

FelixDerKater

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2002
Nirgendwo in Amerika
Here at the university, we have a mix of X and 9.

At the biggest lab where they do online math courses, there are about 700 G4 towers running OS 9. They were waiting on Matlab and Real Player for OS X (for online recorded lectures), and we all know how long that took to get here. Both of those applications are now available. Whether they will migrate to OS X over the summer or not, I'm not sure. They may just wait until they buy new Macs that come with X installed.

As far as public access computers, there is a mix of G4 Cubes running OS 9, LCD iMacs running X, and DeLL PCs running XP.

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
At the high school I work for, we have a mix of Macs running X.2, Macs running 9, and PCs. In the classrooms, we have iMac 500s running 9.2. In our labs, we have iMac DV 400s and PowerMac 733s and 800s (with 17" LCD Studio Displays :D ). We are in the process of converting our labs to OS X, and have installed it on most of the iMacs and all of the PowerMacs. As you can see, our hardware is perfectly capable of running OS X (all machines have >=192MB ram), but we are having trouble making the transition to OS X because there is no simple upgrade route to Office v.X. It's simply too expensive to upgrade to the new Office.

But our Mac servers run OS X.2 Server.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
The middle school where I volunteer just got a Federal grant for new computer equipment. The first planning meeting is the end of this coming week. There may be a major PC-vs.-Mac battle involved. In the past, we have decided to go with Macs for the computer classroom but let each teacher pick his or her favorite platform for his or her own classroom. As a result, we have a mixture throughout the school, about 80% Mac and 20% Intel.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by Doctor Q
The middle school where I volunteer just got a Federal grant for new computer equipment. The first planning meeting is the end of this coming week. There may be a major PC-vs.-Mac battle involved. In the past, we have decided to go with Macs for the computer classroom but let each teacher pick his or her favorite platform for his or her own classroom. As a result, we have a mixture throughout the school, about 80% Mac and 20% Intel.

Oh no. time to get that Mac Vs. Pc info site handy!
Quickly!

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX

I think that's really cool that you let them choose in that district. i wish we had some macs :(. too bad you're about to have another war, though.

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
Originally posted by übergeek
The fact that as a teacher you're getting a free copy of a wonderful operating system is not a good enough reason to upgrade?! A lot of people can't even AFFORD an upgrade to 10.2 or they want a serious discount off of their purchase.
This is insane! My former history teacher even uninstalled OS X on his (now old) snow iBook because he didn't want to use it.

I am a teacher and am not running OS X yet as I can't afford the upgrade of hardware (not to mention software) that I would have to do to run it at any sort of normal speed. I have an older iMac that would run it, but not very quickly. When we are willing to pay teachers what they are worth in this world then maybe they will be able to afford to buy the latest everything.

Something to think about: I would get a $9,000 raise if I went to work for McDonalds as an Assistant Manager mind you not to mention much better benefits (and NO, I AM NOT talking about a uniform or even free food here.)

Something else to think about: Why do we pay people more money to take care of our computers than to take care of our children?!?!

Hoping to get iMac 17" this summer though!

Billicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2002
Charles City, Iowa
Originally posted by ibookin'@mwny
At the high school I work for, we have a mix of Macs running X.2, Macs running 9, and PCs. In the classrooms, we have iMac 500s running 9.2. In our labs, we have iMac DV 400s and PowerMac 733s and 800s (with 17" LCD Studio Displays :D ). We are in the process of converting our labs to OS X, and have installed it on most of the iMacs and all of the PowerMacs. As you can see, our hardware is perfectly capable of running OS X (all machines have >=192MB ram), but we are having trouble making the transition to OS X because there is no simple upgrade route to Office v.X. It's simply too expensive to upgrade to the new Office.

At least you have Macs that can run OS 9. At my high school, the computer lab is full of old PowerMacs running a mix of 7.6.1 and 8.5. It really blows. I just heard we're equipping the lab with new eMacs though. The computer teacher is pretty enamored to OS 9 though. Hopefully she'll realize new Macs should be utilized to their fullest, aka OS X!

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by flyfish29
I am a teacher and am not running OS X yet as I can't afford the upgrade of hardware (not to mention software) that I would have to do to run it at any sort of normal speed. I have an older iMac that would run it, but not very quickly. When we are willing to pay teachers what they are worth in this world then maybe they will be able to afford to buy the latest everything.

Something to think about: I would get a $9,000 raise if I went to work for McDonalds as an Assistant Manager mind you not to mention much better benefits (and NO, I AM NOT talking about a uniform or even free food here.)

Something else to think about: Why do we pay people more money to take care of our computers than to take care of our children?!?!

Hoping to get iMac 17" this summer though!
you get paid less because we are in a society that commits the hypocrisy of demanding an education of its people and refusing to value those who provide it.

the cool thing about you is, you take the crap, you help the people who refuse to help you back. i commend that.
good luck on your iMac 17" :)

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I'm a Mac bigot at home but I try to speak fairly about the Mac/PC tradeoffs when we have discussions at school.

Our school has more Macs than PCs because they make sense for us. I try to give teachers and parents fair assessments when we purchase one platform or the other.

In the long run, I find Macs easier to set up, easier to train a beginner (teacher or student) to use, and easier to maintain through O.S. upgrades. All-in-one models (from Performas through iMacs and eMacs) suit schools - the less components and cables the better. Apple promotes and packages software that suits schools. Apple provides online resources for teachers to plan and share lessons.

Does this make Macs a shoo-in? No. PC hardware is usually a less expensive initial purchase. There are more total software titles, even though there are plenty of quality Mac titles.

People don't often mention this, but at a small school, a lot depends on having school staff or volunteers familiar with the platform you choose. There are typically more students, parents, and teachers who are familiar with PCs. If I hadn't been there as a volunteer, they probably would not have leaned so heavily toward Macs at this school.

And having the best equipment and software doesn't matter at all unless the teachers know what to do with it. That's why a teacher who is already familiar with Windows or Windows-specific programs is often better off with a PC.

Having a mixture of platforms is also a tradeoff, compared with mandating a single platform. It is more work to maintain a mixture of computers on campus. But I think students should use both Mac OS and Windows. If they can use Unix too, so much the better. I disagree with those who say "Students should use Windows because they will need it in their jobs." I argue that any O.S. being used in middle school today won't be used in business when these students enter the job market. They need variety and the ability to learn something new, not job training on Windows XP.

Billicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2002
Charles City, Iowa
I'm a Mac bigot at home but I try to speak fairly about the Mac/PC tradeoffs when we have discussions at school.

Our school has more Macs than PCs because they make sense for us. I try to give teachers and parents fair assessments when we purchase one platform or the other.

In the long run, I find Macs easier to set up, easier to train a beginner (teacher or student) to use, and easier to maintain through O.S. upgrades. All-in-one models (from Performas through iMacs and eMacs) suit schools - the less components and cables the better. Apple promotes and packages software that suits schools. Apple provides online resources for teachers to plan and share lessons.

Does this make Macs a shoo-in? No. PC hardware is usually a less expensive initial purchase. There are more total software titles, even though there are plenty of quality Mac titles.

People don't often mention this, but at a small school, a lot depends on having school staff or volunteers familiar with the platform you choose. There are typically more students, parents, and teachers who are familiar with PCs. If I hadn't been there as a volunteer, they probably would not have leaned so heavily toward Macs at this school.

And having the best equipment and software doesn't matter at all unless the teachers know what to do with it. That's why a teacher who is already familiar with Windows or Windows-specific programs is often better off with a PC.

Having a mixture of platforms is also a tradeoff, compared with mandating a single platform. It is more work to maintain a mixture of computers on campus. But I think students should use both Mac OS and Windows. If they can use Unix too, so much the better. I disagree with those who say "Students should use Windows because they will need it in their jobs." I argue that any O.S. being used in middle school today won't be used in business when these students enter the job market. They need variety and the ability to learn something new, not job training on Windows XP.

I agree completely. While I enjoy a good PC Bashing, the reality of the matter is: They are both good, and are both useful in some matters. The fact is, is that Macs are generally easier to learn/run/maintain, so that is why my school has leaned this way. We recently have had an influx of PC's from a company called REACT in the area that gives old, donated PC's away to schools for free. Our school is getting new PC's for the bussiness lab, and they are using the saying "We need to train the kids on Windows, because that is what they will be using in the work place." That just doesn't fly with me. While our school is predominantly Macs, I think that we are starting to learn towards PC's. The lesser initial purchasing price may sound inticing, but I find that in the long run, PC's end up costing more money - repairs, reformats, new equipment, etc., and more of the computer technician's time. One other thing - of all the Macs and PC's in the school, guess which ones have viruses and which ones don't.:D

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Originally posted by ibookin'@mwny
...but we are having trouble making the transition to OS X because there is no simple upgrade route to Office v.X. It's simply too expensive to upgrade to the new Office.

You know that there's something called OpenOffice right? It's FREE. It's almost like Microsoft Office. And who says you *need* office in the first place?!
Nice...10.2 Server!! We don't even have a functioning network at our school (damn PC's!).

Originally posted by flyfish29

Some of my teachers do not deserve to be paid. :rolleyes: Apple has great discounts for educaation customers perhaps you can get a decent computer at a discount.
And I loved MacAddict's little article about ten for teachers: Remember when a shiny red apple was an apt scholastic gift? Ironically, it's Apple who is raising the bar by giving teachers a free copy of Jaguar.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by übergeek

Some of my teachers do not deserve to be paid. :rolleyes:

über, you're right. many teachers, and people for that matter, don't deserve to get paid.
[paraphrase]
many people don't even deserve to live, yet they do. and many that die deserve to live. can you give that life to them? then don't be so fast to pass out judgment as to who deserves to die.
[/paraphrase]
--Gandalf from LOTR.

i am just saying, i think that's a really obnoxious reply to a guy that for all you know gives up the better part of his life to help kids who make immature, thoughtless remarks like that one, only to be compensated with less than a mcdonald's manager who sacrifices much less than a teacher does. don't be so fast to judge people (not that you really blatantly were judging, but that was one of the meanest things i can think of to say to a teacher)

we all make mistakes, and some of us (these teachers you talk of, perhaps) habitually do so. but whenever think you're pure enough to make a comment like that to an elder and educator who's done nothing but show kindness to you, you know you need to think nicer, or at least harder. let me also say that i make no claims to perfection in the area of respecting those above me, or people in general at all; i am learning like the rest of us. just passing a little tidbit of wisdom i got from tolkien, and other wise men and women in my short 18 years.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Dude shadowfax i didn't really mean it. Its just that some of my teachers, are well, not very nice (positively spitting with anger towards me i bet) and I'm very very sorry to those *NICE* teachers out there that were hurt in some way by my thoughtless comment.
However, there's only been ONE SINGLE TEACHER in my even shorter life who has shown kindness to me.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
A few days ago I mentioned in this thread that the middle school where I volunteer got a federal grant and I expected the PC-vs.-Mac question to come up. Well, last night was the first planning meeting and the first question that came up was "which platform?".

Our answer for now is to give teachers what they can best use, which means a mixed platform environment. For teachers with no preference (there really are such people, which always surprises me), we'll probably recommend Macs for the reasons I mentioned before.

You are not supposed to "look a gift horse in the mouth", but I pointed out that all of the funding is for hardware, so the school will get brand new multimedia PCs or Macs with nothing but the operating system and whatever software comes with it. It will be up to the school to raise its own money for any other software. I think this is very shortsighted planning by the school district. As it turns out, this will favor Macs because of iLife and other included software.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
I wonder if Apple could find it in their hearts to extend the free Jaguar offer to Uni lecturers as well as teachers?

That would be nice...

Really nice...

Oh yes;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.