Schools can't resist bargain on laptops

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Apr 28, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 6502

Henrico could learn some . . . lessons, :D

3. macrumors member

I guess $48 is a bargain, although a 4-year old iBook must be pretty clunky now. Would they have G3s in them? Hardly any use except for word processing and internet...

4. macrumors G3

bigandy

maybe you should take a look at apple-history.com... because not "all iBooks released contained G3's". :p

i'm using a G3 400 iMac w/ 320mb RAM and a 10Gb hdd. and it's running quite fast under tiger. I use it for my email, to keep my PMG5 quad 2.5 for Final Cut stuff only, and I'm really not left around waiting for things to load. which surprised me. :) pleasantly.

5. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The G4 iBooks weren't out until 2003, maybe 2004, so these will definitely be G3.

6. macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

"They are four years older . . . and a little slow," said the schools' technology director, Stephen Smith, "but they are still functional and, for $48 apiece, they are a good investment."

For 48 dollars, he can ****.

"good investment". Try incredible?

7. macrumors member

Seriously, one could QUICKLY turn around the iBooks AS IS on ebay for $150-200++

8. macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Aye cap'n.

9. macrumors 65816

AHHHHHHHHHHH. How brainwashed can someone be?????? God ****ing Damn It.

Am I gonna get banned for trying to wake people up to reality?

NEWS FLASH!!! THERE IS NOT MUCH OF A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN "OLDER" COMPUTERS, AND "NEWER" COMPUTERS. ONLY THE PRICE.

STEVE JOBS POPS UP NEXT TO YOU, SAYS "NEWER STUFF IS BETTER", AND YOU HAND HIM A QUICK $2000. IT'S ****ING INSANITY.

HOW CAN YOU ****ING SAY THAT THAT G3 CAN ONLY DO WORD PROCCESING AND INTERNET? DO YOU REALISE THAT YOU ARE 100% WRONG?

GOOD

OUT.

GAHHH... I hate people sometimes.

10. Moderator emeritus

Oh really? Render time for a recent Carrara Pro file on my friend's G4 450 at home? 6 & 1/2 hours.

At work on the dual 2.5 G5s? Less than 20 minutes. While he continued to work in Photoshop and Quark for magazine layout.

Not much difference. No, not at all.

11. macrumors 65816

Nice. Now, take a G3 iBook and do all the things that normal people use their computer for, and it'll work.

Internet, Word Proccesing, iLife, DVD playing, and it'll even play some games.

So, for most people, it's a brainwash.

12. Moderator emeritus

Normal people? I think you're trying just a little too hard to feel good about your recent purchase by dissing other people's needs. In caps, no less.