Schools outlawing the game of Tag...

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by saunders45, Oct 18, 2006.

1. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Will they be providing the kids with Michelin Tire Man collision suits next? Maybe padding on the classroom walls?

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Oh you have got to be kidding me.

What is with you guys over there? Pretty soon it'll be illegal for kids to do anything that has even a remote chance of injuring them in some way.

Just you watch, in 20 years there will be a generation of Americans who can't function in the real world because of the current litigious climate ruining any chance they have of physical, social and personal development.

Here are my oft repeated words of advice to the vocal minority of parents in the US who seem to be systematically destroying their kids' lives:

"Harden the **** up and calm the **** down."

What a load of crap. *shakes head incredulously*

3. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Yea like playing on the monkey bars or going down the slide is any less 'risky', or did they ban that to? Might as well make schools out of nerf nowadays. Are they going to take P.E. out of the curriculum now? :rolleyes: Kids are going to get hurt, it's part of growing up. I remember playing tag, that was fun :D

4. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Yeah, I saw this earlier too. That's absolutely crazy.

I read it first here...

Toronto Star Article

I love the quote at the end from the mother who feels safer: "I've witnessed enough near collisions." What does that even mean?

5. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

Retarded, politically correct, stupid, idiotic, rediculous, absurd, laughable, preposterous, mad, inane, crazy, non-sensical, and outright insanity.

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Blame the Lawyers, they are destroying society.

7. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

....:confused:....what?

Dude, a Lawyer's job is to represent the client. It's the client that's litigating. :rolleyes: The Lawyer is just supposed to make sure they win.

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Lawyers suck and this policy is to stop the next Ambulance Chaser. Who said we should kill all the Lawyers?:)

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

How about:

"Blame the ambulance-chasing personal injury compensation lawyers."

Those guys, and the current generation of pass-the-buck parents are to blame for this. To all those MacRumourites currently looking down the barrel of parenthood, please take responsibility for raising your children. At the end of the day it's YOUR FAULT how they grow up, sure you can say "but what about environmental factors?" to which I reply "well it's YOUR FAULT how you respond to those environmental factors."

Please, let the kids be kids and make sure they know that accidents happen and when accidents happen they should just get up, brush themselves off and keep going, not sit around litigating for years because they're too scared to get back into life.

Time to grow some balls America.

10. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

Its like making children wear safety goggles and hard hats to play conkers. It is stupid and is getting completely over hyped.

11. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

What about the people who take these ridiculous claims to court in the first place? Aren't they to blame?

What about the lawyers who work for schools, hospitals and other public services that fight against these stupid, petty, greedy claims? Surely they can't be to blame?

12. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

13. jdechko macrumors 68040

In the word's of someone else, "Stop the world. I want off."

It sucks that every generation of children has further restrictions put on what they do. And the parents as well (spanking, anyone?). I, for one, won't hesitate to hit my kid on the rear to discipline him. No, I'm not gonna beat my kids, but I'm sure gonna whoop 'em when they deserve it.

This just makes me sick.

14. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Idiotic, absolutely. Unforeseeable, absolutely not.

People are having fewer kids these days so it's only natural that they are more concerned about the one or two they have. Back in the old days when there were 3 or 4 or a dozen, kids roughhoused at home and learned to live with it. Now that there's only one or two, little johnny or jane simply have no reference point and living in exurbia, no chance of playing with the neighbors. Not only because they are shuttled around by mommy from soccer to ballet to piano etc, but because they are locked in the house due to a mostly hypthetical, "stranger danger".

It's also a product of skyrocketing insurance rates. Fewer people would be willing to sue if their health insurance deductible wasn't sky high. When Johnny's trip in the ambulance to the emergency room to sew up a cut on his knee costs over $2500, risk taking has a definite downside.

15. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

You have to get that on a TShirt Chundles because it is so damn true.

16. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

It's getting really, really stupid. There was a thing on the local news recently where the Bristol council had banned door-mats in blocks of flats so people didn't trip over them. Stupid!!!! :mad:

17. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

This really gets my goat. Seriously, let kids be kids. Everything is so goddamn PC these days, you can't do anything. Everyone is coated in anti-bacterial lotions because they are afraid of getting sick, kids can't go play in the dirt or play games where they might get hurt, the world is going to hell. We're going to end up with a generation of whimpy people with no disease-tolerance and no idea how to handle the real world.

I say force everyone into mandatory Rugby programs to toughen them up. No pads, no antibiotics, no refrain on language. this goes for adults and kids, we ned to shut the **** up and stop being afraid all the damn time.

18. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

I'm telling you, there will come a day when our kids will have to live in zorbs until their 18th birthday, in warm climates, with no school at all (dare we force them to think).

Witness the wussification...

19. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

What's the big deal?

As far as I can tell, the school has decided that kids can't play touch sports during recess unless supervised.

This seems perfectly realistic and sane to me, as I'd hope recess is at all times supervised.

Would love to know the definition of "political correctness" as it exists in this thread ...

20. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Ummmm... I sort of suspect this was in jest, but what sort of school has unsupervised recesses? "Unsupervised," as it's used in the article, presumably means without a supervisor watching the game, rather than without a supervisor watching the entire schoolyard.

21. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Problem is - you have to have a teacher supervising that specific game of tag. What teacher in their right mind is going to accept responsibility for supervising a game that has suddenly been deemed dangerous and risk the wrath of pass-the-buck parents when Little Johnny falls and breaks a wrist or something similar.

What happens if that teacher is watching the game of tag and something happens elsewhere in the playground? Are they liable for that?

It's just a game of tag. Sure, ban games like tackle football or brandings if you must (replace tackle footy with touch footy and everything's fine) but seriously, tag? That's a nothing game, if the kids hurt themselves playing tag it just means they need to practice running and dodging more - thus, MORE TAG.

I went to a private school here in Aus with a massive focus on Rugby (as massive as you can get down here because nobody outside the school gives a rat's about High School sport) and we weren't allowed to play full tackle rugby at lunch but touch was fine, why? Because it was just touch footy - nothing horribly bad is going to happen in a game of touch footy. Same thing with tag.

22. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

I mean, no. Not really. My Web self isn't doing the best job of taking things very serioulsy lately, but, no. Not so much in jest.

I understand where everyone is coming from, and I think Chundles makes a really good point about teachers and their fear of parents. And god knows I think kids should be allowed to play tag during recess. I guess I just mean to suggest that by banning "unsupervised" tag, the school in question seems to be giving itself signficant leeway in terms of just how supervised a game of tag could be.

More simply: I don't see a story here, and I suspect, based on the language used in the article, that if one of us dropped in and observed this school for a month, we'd see a game of tag or two (supervised, but without a teacher stepping in to stop it).

I don't know what elementary schools were like when and where everyone grew up, but I know that my recesses were limited to small, paved surfaces -- no kid was ever out of the teacher's sight.

23. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Rather then trying to keep guns out of the hands of kids we are more concerned with a little game of tag. Why don't they only give the kids pre chewed food to risk the choking hazard.:rolleyes:

24. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

My school was on 200 acres with about 30% of that accessible during recess/lunch. There was reasonable supervision but if anybody really wanted to do anything they could, just had to be creative about how they went about avoiding the teachers. I remember the smokers used to hide in the little alcoves around the outside of the chapel.