Schoolwork Database

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by emutree, Sep 4, 2005.

1. emutree macrumors member

I'm looking for an app and was hoping that the community here could push me in the right direction.

For school this year, I would like to create a simple database for each of my classes, with an entry per day with some keywords about what topics were covered, and the notes, assignments and textbook pages that pertain to those topics. I originally considered creating a Pages template to fill out each day and then tagging the hell out of it with Spotlight comments, but wanted to see if there was something easier. Then when it comes time to review I can search for the topic and find all of the relevant information I have.

I would like a simple shareware (hopefully under $50 unless it's truly extraordinary) database app that can be broken down into a section for each class, and then an entry for each day - preferably with some sort of "Smart Folder" approach where I can group all work that is of the same topic, and preferably with a search field built-in. It doesn't have to be a database app by nature, as long as it can do what I've described quickly and efficiently. In my searches on versiontracker, I started to consider journal or blog apps instead as I came up short on databases.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
    [And yes, I'm one extremely organized freak]

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

iCal...? With one calendar for each subject...?

Maybe not perfect, but it should work... :)

Edit: Not sure about attaching files, though, but you can attach an URL, e.g. locally, to each calendar item.

Edit2: On second thought, maybe something like OmniOutliner would suit you better...?

3. emutree thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the suggestions!

I did consider iCal, but figured it wouldn't have as much flexibility for custom fields and that I'd end up squashing everything into the "Notes" field.

After looking at OmniOutliner, I think it will work really well for my described situation - especially with the easy way to drag and drop file links in, and the custom fields it can set up. I was hoping I could find something with sort of a built-in document browser and manager too, but otherwise I think OmniOutliner should see me through a happy semester.

I think what I'll do is create a folder for each subject, with three folders inside: Month View, Topic View, and Document View. I'll save an OmniOutliner file each day in the Document View folder, and then set up Smart Folders for each month and topic in Month View and Topic View, so that I can find things whichever way I remember them.

As a sidenote, does anyone know where the iCal individual day icons are? I'm hoping to set up an Automator script to overwrite each file's document icon with the corresponding day icon from iCal, so that they can be visually quickly indentifed.

Maybe I'll post a tutorial with the Automator script and OmniOutliner template on my website when I'm all done.
    Just have to wait for my iMac's repairs to be done *sigh*.

4. iMatt mini macrumors 6502

That omnioutliner program looks Excellent!
    I'm going to try it out myself. I try to be all organized at the beginning of the year, then I get involved with other things and I'm too tired/I forget to do all the organizing I said I would do and everything is a MESS by week 2. But hey, I'll try it. :p

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

There's an empty iCal icon, that I guess that the application makes all the day-to-day icons from here: /Applications/iCal.app/Contents/Resources/App-empty.icns right next to the generic July 17th App.icns. (Remember to backup iCal.app if you plan on messing to much with it... ;))

Either right-click the iCal.app and Show Package Contents or Terminal and open /Applications/iCal.app/Contents/Resources/ to access the file in Finder.

Edit:

Just noticed that OmniOutliner Pro is $49.95 in the EDU Store. You asked for somthing under $50... :D

Though you might want to go for one of the bundles. OmniGraffle is a very nice application, too... ;)

6. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I realize the OP has an iMac, but for those of you with PowerBooks or Power Macs, it's worth noting that OmniOutliner is included with your machine. I have it on my PowerBook, and had never even opened it until I read this thread.