Schumacher announces retirement

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by iGav, Sep 10, 2006.

1. iGav macrumors G3

2. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Bored from the constant winning? he has dominated that sport without a doubt.

4. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

Definitely reason for celebration. As amazing and talented as he may be, I find him to be one of the worst sports-men on the grid. Its time F1 moves on from the Schumi era.

5. Lollypop macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

Amen! I was never into sports when I was younger, but as ive gotten older my interest was peeked, but F1 never really got me becuase the winner was never a surprise... maybe now I will have something to do on a sunday afternoon besides read MR! :eek:

6. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

I have never supported Schumi. Not ever -- until now. Previously I have seen him as the ultimate enemy, but now that he's retiring, I have suddenly begun to support him for the rest of the season. I'm quite amazed to see myself thinking that he actually would deserve to win the title this time :eek:

Anyway, great times ahead for us Finns. Next year probably the two fastest cars on the grid are reserved for Kimi and Kovalainen :D

7. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

It had to end eventually but it's still a bit of a downer. I've been a Schu fan since he came to the show and we've both seen our better days. :(

8. bartelby macrumors Core

I totally agree!

His retirement is no surprise to me, I can't understand why people are shocked!

I'll only remember his cheating!!

I hope Todt and Brawn follow him out the door...

9. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

You forgot a half Finn in Nico Rosberg with Williams.

I am very surprised that the chin decided to retire. Even if Ferrari effectively gave him the boot when it signed a preliminary driver agreement with Raikkonen, it's unfathomable to me that he would reject an offer from BMW to race for an entire additional year.

It's clear from Jean Todt's expression as Schummacher crossed the finish line, however, that Todt was not a supporter of the booting. This clearly indicates that Schummacher had no part in the decision. In fact, the speed with which Ferrari made a press release regarding Kimi's new employment after Schu's retirement shows that Ferrari booted him some time ago (and Montezelmo confirmed this himself post race.)

This was not the way to let go of Schu.

10. JRM PowerPod macrumors 6502

A man can't win 7 world championships, just by cheating, no matter how hard you try to tell yourself.

Undoubtedly he threw away grace with the sole purpose to win on a few occasions, but everytime he did something obscure or dodgey he copped the punishment too.

90 race wins, possibly 8 world championships, and you'll remember him for 4 or 5 moments of stupidity. You are a harsh man, i hope you live up to your own expectations in life too.

I'll remember him as a pure born racer, who beat everyone who challenged.

11. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I think he'll leave something of a mixed legacy in the politics-strewn circles of Formula One...but there's no doubting he is one of the great drivers of all time and maybe THE winningest driver the sport will ever see.

I'm still rooting for Alonso this season but the thought of Schu to taking this Championship as a last hurrah has a feeling of inevitability about it...a fitting exit for a driver whose legacy can be summed up in one word - dominant.

12. knackroller macrumors regular

knackroller

Well it is good that he is retiring. Racing another year under say BMW will not quite do him any good, sort of becoming like the ageing Jacque Villeneuve or something as he'll fade into obscurity.

Better to retire now and move on to a second career, with his fame there's a lot he could do.

13. bartelby macrumors Core

Yes, I will remember how he won one or 2 world championships by cheating, how his team bent the rules as often as possible but would scream bloody murder if any other team did the same, how his team fixed races and brought the sport into disrepute...

And yes, I live up to my own expectations!

EDIT: Apparently Briatore says title is fixed for retiring Schumacher. I wouldn't be surprised!

14. MOFS macrumors 65816

MOFS

And are facing charges for saying so...

15. bartelby macrumors Core

16. MOFS macrumors 65816

MOFS

The problem for him is that Ferrari are easily the most supported team in F1 - and that the Renault hasn't been good enough for a few races now...

17. JRM PowerPod macrumors 6502

If F1 was rigged why did Schuey get sent to the back of the grid in Monaco for blocking Alonso during qualifying, surely they would have seen it as schuey taking the corner the wrong way like he said.

Why was Alonso allowed to make a move stick by blatantly cutting a chicane yesterday? He just went straight through.

Where is the evidence?

Ferrari are cutting up everyone at the moment on the track. Renault dont have the speed. Michael has been quicker than alonso for the past few months. Ferrari are better that is why they are winning.

18. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Never mind that every team tries to bend the rules to their advantage all the time, and complains about anything any other team does that they thing is against the rules.

19. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

No, I didn't forget. But as you said, he's a half-Finn - a son of a first Finn-champion, but does not speak finnish at all. Drives under German license and afaik lives in Monaco. Yes, there's some interest in him in Finland, but he's not really our boy.

And sadly Williams is falling to the shadows.

20. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

It's funny how people always only see Schumacher's mistakes, not the ones of Alonso, nor Renault or any other team. Teams have been badmouthing other teams forever Ferrari is no angel but neither is any other team. As for the drivers, Schumacher had his share of penalties as Alonso had his share of getting away, the only difference between Schumacher and Alonso is that Schumacher is man enough to accept it and not complain like a little child.

21. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

I agree, but... I wouldn't have minded seeing him at Williams for a couple of years. As the last cash strapped privateer Schu could afford to drive cheap, doesn't need to win and would surely bring some sponsers. Would have been good for Williams and F1 as well as no threat to Ferrari.

Oh well, I hope he enjoys his retirement after winning #8. :)

22. MOFS macrumors 65816

MOFS

I think the main problem is that Alonso didn't try and take Schumacher out this season, and hasn't parked his car at Monaco. People like a champion who's either fun (Mansell, Villeneuve for example), clinical (Prost, Hakkinen, Hill), or ideally both (Senna). Schuey always came across as a bit heartless - however great some of his drives were...

23. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

Yay! He was a great driver, but I for one will remember him mostly by his bad moments.

Better to retire a year to early than two years too late, I guess.

24. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

I'm still feeling rather despondent about the whole thing... so I'll post my thoughts in a day or two. :(

However... ITV-F1 have posted some stats... personally I think they demonstrate exactly what he'll be remembered for.

* Most world titles: 7 (1994, 1995, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004)

* Most consecutive titles: 5 (2000-2004)

* Most wins: 90

* Most wins in a single season: 13 (2004)

* Most consecutive wins in single season: 7 (2004)

* Most wins at the same race: 8 (French GP)

* Most wins from pole: 40

* Most wins with one team: 71

* Most pole positions: 68

* Most front-row starts: 114

* Most second place finishes: 43

* Most podium finishes: 153

* Most points scored: 1,354

* Most points finishes: 188

* Most points in a single season: 148 (from a maximum of 180, in 2004)

* Most fastest laps: 75

* Most races led: 139

* Most laps led: 5,059

* Most consecutive podiums: 19 (USA 2001-Japan 2002)

* Most consecutive points finishes: 24 (Hungary 2001-Malaysia 2003)

* Most consecutive seasons with a win: 15

* Most ‘clean sweeps’ (pole, win, fastest lap): 22

* Largest points gap between champion and runner-up: 67 (2002)

* Earliest title winner: 2002 (in July, with 6 races remaining)

* Longest spell with one team: 11 seasons (Ferrari – 1996-2006)

* Most time between first and last race wins: 13 years, 11 months and 3 days

* Never outqualified in 1992, 1993 or 1994

* Only driver to have finished every race on the podium: 2002

25. DrEasy macrumors member

He has impressive stats indeed, but it is also true that we remember him for some of his "stunts" when the championship was on the line (just ask Hill or Villeneuve).

It will be interesting to see what happens this year if the championship is still close at the last race of the season and of his career. Will Shumi pull a "Zidane" or will he redeem himself for some of his earlier misdeeds?