SCHUMACHER DONATES $10M TO APPEAL

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by junior, Jan 4, 2005.

1. junior macrumors 6502a

junior

Wow, no matter what I think of the man, this is an incredible gesture.
    Good on you Schuy.

Link

Whole quote:

Formula One world champion Michael Schumacher has donated $10*million to the victims of last week's Asian tsunami, his manager Willi Weber*has announced during a German telethon.

"The dawning of the New Year has not been as joyful for us this year because of the catastrophe in Asia,"* said the seven-times world champion.

"We sympathise with the victims in their grief."

The sum is the largest individual donation made to the appeal so far. The death toll from the Asian tidal waves was close to 146,000 on Tuesday.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

GOOD MAN. I'd hope this puts presure on the many other stupidly wealthy people to do the same, Tiger Woods (just for example!), you listening?

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i hope more wealthy donate as well, but i hope people dont wait for a disaster to always donate, why not every year donate some just because you can

4. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Yep, great gesture. I heard Sandra Bullock donated $1 million too. That's only a few people though, whhat's with all the other rich people?

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Read: The largest published individual donation...*

Still... fantastic!

Step up to the plate! S. Jobs, B. Gates... and the Sultan of Brunei...

*excuse my cynicism, have worked with too many PR people. Corrosive.

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Well, Bill Gates for one is so minted he has a foundation to which he has given billions, I would imagine some of that is being directed to this cause now.

As for the rest of 'em, who knows? Anyone know where SJ stands, he's worth a couple of $billion I believe.

7. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

I just read that private donations from Germany are up to €70 million ($92,9m). That's just crazy, I never thought it'd be that much. Good to see that a lot of people are donating.

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

He is a Great on the track and it looks like he's Great off the track. Im allways amazed at the one's who criticize this guys driving. He wins races. enough said.

9. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

I'm still amazed how much the German govt. gave, £352 million ($667 US).

10. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I heard Sandra Bullock donated $1 mil.

Doctors without Borders has received so much money they're asking donors to give to their general fund rather than the Tsunami fund.

11. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    yeah and how much is the US giving??? and how much do they spend each month on this illegal war??? makes me not want to even bother about getting a green card any more.

it's interesting to see who is giving what....i just hope it's going to the right places

12. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

Wow, this is great.

SJ had a life-changing visit to india when he was younger I believe, so I'm guessing he will probably donate at some point?

In terms of Apple donating money, I reckon that if it does happen, it will be next tuesday - for the big PR. I guess he'll also announce how much money has been donated through iTMS in just one week (I hope it's a lot :D)

As I've said before, the chances of charitable donation will be increased steeply now that U2 is on board..

/asif

13. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That should certainly encourage many. We have a lot of multi-millionaires in Hollywood and the political arena. They should now put there money where there mouth has been.

14. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

This is a great gesture and like others have said I hope we see other high-profile individuals following his example.

And meanwhile, in another thread, Paris Hilton is opening a ridiculously expensive nightclub... :confused: :mad:

To be fair, the US is donating more than just cash; I know that we have a pretty large logistical contingent (helicopters, portable medical units etc.) in the region or en route. The US tends to respond in person to these crises as opposed to pure monetary aid (not that either is any better, so long as it helps the relief work). But it does seem like we could have made a larger initial effort. However, let's hope that governments concentrate on getting relief where it needs to go, and not on who gave the most etc.

I didn't know Germany gave that much :eek:, that's really generous.

15. iGav macrumors G3

It's not unusual for the guy, every year he makes sizeable donations to UNICEF and takes part in a scary amount of charity sports events mainly football that raise millions as well. And that's only the tip of the iceberg. :eek:

16. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

It is nice that individuals are giving this money but I think its time cancelled their debts. Indonesia and co are currently paying billions of dollars in interest alone and we as people of the G8 countries are living in part on this poverty. Maybe we should lobby for a change. There are many countries that are paying these amazing interest charges to our governments, who to be honest behave a little like loan sharks.

17. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

And how much did the US give the year before (i.e. 2003) towards international aid? Something like 24 billion. That's about 40% of all aid from just one country.

18. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

Keep your political garbage in the correct forum :mad:

This one is about the incredible generosity of some amazingly generous and kind hearted individuals, and not about wars and green cards etc, in case you haven't noticed!

19. Sabbath macrumors 6502a

Sabbath

Without wanting to turn this into a political thread, although I think it is almost there already, this is a nice visual look at where the US spends its taxes. From the title "Death and Taxes" you can guess it is probably not going to be completely unbiased so keep that in mind when looking at it.

Dammit almost forgot good on Schumi, its certainly not a small amount of money even to him. Hopefully more people will follow suit although not just donating to this one cause.

20. cheekyspanky macrumors 6502a

cheekyspanky

I've heard that the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation has donated $6 million. Good on Schumacher - a lot of people criticise him but I think he's a decent guy really.

Japan have pledged $500 million and Australia has also pledged $750 million.

It's all mounting up!

21. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I'm not taking a side, but from my reading on the subject:

It's super expensive being a superpower. Current US military doctrine holds that the US must be able to send a military force anywhere in the world that will enjoy an overwhelming superiority over any potential opponent in a regional conflict. This requires that it maintain a large, high quality professional military force at all times to respond to potential threats. Thus the heavy defense spending (although defense spending as a proportion to the US GDP is only slightly higher than most other western nations).

For comparison's sake, our foreign aid programs (as a percentage of the GDP) are much lower than other countries, though the total amount still accounts for ~35% of all foreign aid given worldwide. One thing to consider is that If the US (or any rich nation) were to increase foreign aid by 200% tomorrow, much of it would be wasted since the financial infrastructure to efficiently deliver such aid doesn't currently exist i.e. you can't simply throw more money at a problem. The UN hopefully is learning better how to respond to crises of this scale in the future.

I think the most important issue is how the relief effort is handled, since we all KNOW that enough money is being donated worldwide to cover the cost of relief. The problem is getting the aid where it needs to go in time.

Individual donations, like our current F1 champion's, are good because they are not going to be bogged down by politics. He can send his money wherever he thinks it needs to go immediately.

Speaking of facts and figures, did you know that 90% of last seasons F1 races were won by 1/9 of the world's F1 teams? I think they should share the wealth!

22. rogerw macrumors 6502

agree about Schumacher

tried your photopage link but it didnt work

23. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Bernie and Max are working on that ;)

24. cheekyspanky macrumors 6502a

cheekyspanky

Photo page not working at the moment..my hosting company wants paying..! Should be back up in the next week or so :)

25. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

I think Sky have reported that wrong. According to the offical F1 website and other news agencies Michael donated €1 million euros. Still a damn site more than others can and have done mind.
    Maybe he gave more through his charities or by other means.