Schumi does it again...

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGav, Apr 25, 2004.

1. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    4/4... heheheh :D

Although, I almost had kittens after the first lap when Button pulled out 2.7 seconds. :eek: He did a sterling job in Qually though (even if Schuey was carrying an extra 2 laps worth of fuel), it was a perfect lap. The boy Button is doing good ;)

Seems like confirmation that BAR have overtaken Williams, McLaren and Renault in the contest to be Ferrari's main rivals though. Must be down to spending the millions spent on developing the car instead of going into JV's pocket like last season... heheh

As for Montoya... :rolleyes:

And lastly... 10 years since the Death of Roland Ratzenberger and Ayrton Senna, in some respects it seems longer than 10 years, and in others. R.I.P. fella's. :(
  2. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Jun 7, 2002

Darn, I was just checking the forum before I was going to watch the Grand Prix (I taped it, since the weather today was just too good to stay inside and watch telly), and your post ruined my moment! That single sentence, Schumi does it again..., was enough for me to spoil a perfectly good evening.

No, just kidding! ;) But still, a shame that I read that subject line anyways...
  3. Veldek macrumors 68000

Mar 29, 2003
    I have a deja vu each sunday when I go to the forums and read your thread title...
  4. craigdawg macrumors 6502

Mar 8, 2004
    I purposely avoided looking at this forum this morning because the same thing happened to me before Bahrain. :D

I was somewhat hopeful that Button could win from the pole but Schumacher didn't have to make his pass on the track so it didn't matter.

Poor McLaren! I wonder how JPM feels about switching teams for next season?
  5. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

Feb 20, 2004
    in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    I once saw a single coat of Dulux One-Coat emulsion take no less than 48 minutes to dry!!!

Man, that was rock n' roll ! ;)

Schu is certainly one of the best of all time, but the sport is just so void of anything exciting. My solution:

1. Maximise the fuel tank capacity to 20 litres.
    2. No qualifying laps, grid decided b random dice roll.
    3. Cars to be entirely constructed out of macaroni cheese.
  6. AhmedFaisal Guest

I wonder if McLaren is finally going to get someone who can drive... yet, Montoya can't drive really... I am sick and tired of Montoya bitching about how bad the car is (BMW). That is not the problem, the problem is that Montoya sucks ass as a driver. And I am sick and tired of all the people bitching about Schumacher and especially those that attribute it to the car. Hell, Schumacher won his first title in a Benetton Renault for those who have short memory, and at that time it was by far not the best car in the field. Of course, now that you have people that can build awesome cars and an awesome larger than life driver together it will be tough, but its not like impossible to beat. Just get some real drivers into the good cars instead of incompentent crybabies like Montoya and it will be interesting again. The fact that BAR is doing so well lately is proof for that.

7. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc
    hahaha- no kidding
    they need to give him a go-kart as a handicap. make him drive a mini. :D :D
  8. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    its going to be a boring season if he keeps up this form, then again it shows how dominant their car and how good a driver he is.
  9. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    I totally understand why people find F1 boring. The solution to this is not easy. The problem we have today is that the car is driving itself too much. To make it interesting we need to remove some of the technology. I propose:

1) No automatic gear boxes of any sort.
    2) No traction control of any sort
    3) No stability control or other electronic aids.

This would add more excitement right from the start. 20 cars wheel spinning off the line in a cloud of blue smoke, cars getting sideways through the corners, powerslides returning to F1!

On the Schumi thing I hate that guy!
  10. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    alot of the assistance is for safety purposes though, so i guess you need to strike a balance.
  11. takao macrumors 68040

Dec 25, 2003
    Dornbirn (Austria)
    hm i doubt anybody gonna steal schumi's show this year...

yeah banning semi automatic transmissions would be would be nice if they have to shift with their hands again and not this shifting on the steering wheel
    and of course bring back the old slicks and old qualifiying

edit: i have nothing against saftey but it shouldn't get like a computer game either...

BTW: austria nearly beaten canada at the ice hockey world championship yesterday 2:2... first point austria ever made against them _ever_ ...(i only add this because it is sports too and i don't want to start a thread about it)
  12. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

Feb 26, 2003
    around the world
    Agreed. But what we definitly need in addition is less grip thorugh aerodynamics and more mechanical grip. They should dramatically reduce the wings + more space under the car.

Why ? Simple answer. With all the aerodynamic grip its not possible to drive near behind another car through curves. And the the straights are not long enough to overtake. With less aerodynamics there would be more overtaking. And that makes racing more interesting.

BTW. Schumi would win with all the changes.

And yes - I am a Schumi fan for more then 10 years ! Do I want to see him wining every race ? Yes. But like that ??? No - not at all. More fighting like in the beginning with Montoya.
  13. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    Spot on... ;) we need rules that put more emphasis on mechanical grip as opposed to the current aero efficient cars... and bring back slicks as well as the old qually system.

As for removing the driver aids, it's a good idea in principle, but trying to police it like before could be a problem (remember all the accusations that used to do the rounds when tech was still illegal?), unless the FIA introduce standard management systems etc, but then that detracts from what F1 is and has always been about, which is teams having to design and build their own cars. When important factors are removed from the decisions of the teams, then it might as well be F3000 or worse.. CART or IRL. :eek:

But the current lack of racing comes down to one thing, and one thing only... and that's the failure of McLaren, Williams, Renault, BAR and Toyota of producing competitive cars that actually create close and exciting racing... those teams have the resources and the budgets to do so, but are failing... especially McLaren.

Until then, it's unimaginable that either Ferrari are going to produce a bad car, or that Schumacher is going to lose his talent... and the way he's driving at the moment (I've never seen him smoother or more enthusiastic) I can't see that happening, and the way his Ferrari hasn't had any reliability issues since Germany 2001 and remains about 1 second a lap quicker than the BAR in race trim, 1.5 seconds quicker than the Williams and 2 seconds quicker than the McLaren then I can't see the former happening either.

As for Montoya... :rolleyes:
  14. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

Feb 26, 2003
    around the world
    Agreed. I forgot the slicks.

Yes, you are right. Of course it would not help at all to change the current rules if the other teams perform as badly as they do at the moment.

And blaming Schumi or Ferrari is not right at all.
  15. Blackstealth macrumors regular

Apr 27, 2003
    Bradford, UK
    I was glued to the screen until a few laps after Button came in for his second stop. After that point it was pretty obvious that the Honda was too thirsty for that track and it was all going to go Schumacher's way, so I went and worked on my car instead. But it's looking like Jenson might put up a real decent fight this year (at last, a Brit capable of winning!).

I really would like to know if McLaren intends on putting up a competitive car at any point this season, it's getting to the stage where they're a absolute joke. In my opinion Ilmor and Mercedes really need to pull their heads out their collective arse and start providing something vaguely similar to a race engine package...
  16. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    Newey is designing a 19-B due around Germany time... but by then the season will be all but over I suspect.

But they've got to find atleast 2 seconds, and more likely 2.5 - 3 seconds by the time development cycles even out come mid-season, I just don't see where they'll find that time.

The MP4-19 is a cracking looking car, but from what the drivers are saying, it lacks in every department so it's not just a simple case of tweaking it to become the 19-B, they've got to to atleast rethink a substantial part of it... or in other words the whole car needs a straightforward f**k over to be competitive.

Either way.. McLaren haven't really being competitive since 2000, and haven't had the best car since '98-'99... last years 17-D was only in the hunt for the championship because the revised points systems created an artifically close championship, but in races that car was well off the pace come mid-season, and the stillborn MP4-18 never raced and as a result the MP4-19 (which is fundamentally a 18) is a 2 year old development design and that has been nothing but trouble and is sllloooowwwwwwwwwwww!

Obviously Mercedes-Illmor has alot to answer for, but their engine is no less powerful than the Renaults, yet look how well they're doing. So it is in essence the ENTIRE car that is problem for Mclaren... quite unbelievable considering their considerable resources.

Jenson did a stonking job... shame he hasn't got a better name though. Jenson is cool... but 'Button'... nah. he should change his surname to 'Interceptor' by Deed Poll. heheh