Schwarzenegger to Veto Illegal Immigrant Driving Licenses

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iLikeMyiMac, Aug 29, 2004.

1. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

I always wondered why people wanted to give driving licenses to illegial immigrants. If they are illegial and they are caught shouldn't they be sent back to where ever they came from? I think Schwarzenegger is making the right choice. Anyone else?

2. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

I agree, I mean, most likely the illegal immigrants can't get insurance either, so that just makes things even worse . . .

3. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

I agree 100% with Schwarzenegger on this issue.

Driving is a privelige, not a right. If these people are coming into our country illegally, then they should not be granted many of the priveliges we receive as citizens. Now, if they follow the proper procedures, and come into the US legally, then they should be allowed to drive, etc.

I was reading an article today that said within 50 years, 25% of people living in the US will be hispanic. I wonder what the number of illegal vs. legal hispanic residents is in the US.

4. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i agree with laslo. the insurance thing would scare me. there have been many mexicans in my town who simply don't have insurance. they get in a wreck with you and you are just s*** out of luck.

iJon

5. iLikeMyiMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

On my insurance card it says that I am insured against uninsured moter vehicles. I think its like $10 or $20 extra every 6 months for this which isn't that much more $ considering what benefits you get.

6. AhmedFaisal Guest

Because California's agricultural industry among many others would die an instant nasty death without the cheap "food picker ****ers" to quote Carlos Mencia. That's why. Illegals are not a threat to the California job market, they are the backbone of the industry.
    Cheers,

Ahmed

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I agree with Gov. Schwarzenegger, he has taken a stand. Illegal immigrants have broken the law, they should not be rewarded. Our borders need to be made secure, it's a security issue.

8. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Moved from Current Events to Political Discussion. Please post news of political nature in this forum. Thanks :)

9. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

The problem is you have people who are going to be driving who are not licensed or insured.

By allowing all people to get driver's license w/o asking them to provide documentation you make the streets safer. It also means I'm less likely to be hit by an uninsured driver which raises my costs.

Arnold isn't thinking. Big surprise. He is listening to special interest groups. Big surprise. It is time to recall Arnold and put Davis back in office where he belongs.

10. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

as ahmed indicated, what would be the economic ramifications of such a policy? forgive the pun, but doesn't a car-oriented transportation system help drive CA's economy?

it's a little sad to me to see how many people here want to punish a group of people to whom they don't belong, even if they are here illegally.

would you also agree if schwarzenegger decreed that illegals were also barred from using public trans, renting apartments and buying food?

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Just for the record: Insurance is not a requirement for driver's licenses in California. Insurance is tied to vehicle registration.

I'm not sure what interests would be served by making illegal aliens eligible for driver's licenses, but I do know that denying them licenses is not going to reduce the number of illegal aliens on the highways.

12. justinshiding macrumors member

I wonder how many would actually go for this offer. Personally, I would think it's a ruse of sort.

Like the simpsons episode where they springfield police offer people with unpaid parking tickets a free boat and then make them pay up....i dont know...if they're illegal...but have drivers liscences...how hard can it be to track them down for deportation ?

13. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

No, but you can't drive a car if you aren't insured.

Those who are racist against people who speak minimal or no English. I'm sure they have their groups which Arnold is playing to.

I have no doubt if those "illegals" were from Australia or Europe no one would care. The only issue is the fact that they are Hispanic and (heaven forbid) don't speak English, or speak little English. It is racism.

14. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

That is what I thought at first. But basically you don't require a SS# when getting the license. There is no way to know who is legal and who is not.

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

As AhmedFaisal said, if you deport them, the fruit will rot on the branch.

16. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Of course you can! In fact I don't know how someone could even get auto insurance without owning a car.

17. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I don't know but you can't rent a car or drive a car w/o insurance. And the issue isn't people not having a car anyway. It is driving them legally -- as a licensed driver.

18. Leo Hubbard macrumors newbie

No it won't, the price will go up for that fruit to compensate those places paying a higher wage for legal employees to pick it.

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

And then they'll lose their market, and they won't NEED any pickers.

20. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Yes, you most certainly can. In fact I have never been asked for any proof of insurance when renting in California or elsewhere (including the UK, skunk). The rental companies always try to sell you "supplemental" insurance, but that only covers the deductibles in their policies. Sometime ask your insurance company whether you can lend your car to friend who doesn't own one (and therefore won't be insured). I'm sure they'll say it's okay so long as they're a licensed driver, and it's not a regular thing.

I realize this is off the thread topic, but someone did imply that denying valid California driver's licenses to illegal aliens would somehow decrease the number of people driving without insurance. This is obviously not the case, if only because insurance is not a perquisite for obtaining a license. The real problem is unregistered cars, or owners who pay only a month or two of premiums so they can show the proof on registration.

21. Leo Hubbard macrumors newbie

Then that could be evidence that it is a function of our market that is no longer nesessary.

Typical argument, we can't claim we are truly equal because to do so would mean everyone in the ACLU would be unemployed so in order to insure they all still have jobs we must go out of our way to prove that their are still minorities who are being trodden on.

Market expands, grows, matures and some parts of it needs to drop off when no longer needed. If a product can not be produced at a price the consumer is willing to pay, then perhaps that product is no longer necessary in our society.

22. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I wonder if Arnold had a license when he was an illegal alien?

23. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I wonder how the insurance companies feel about insured cars driven by unlicensed drivers. Do they go after the owner of the policy if there's an accident?

Anyway, it is a loaded subject but I think it points to the failure of both the US and all points south to effectively deal with immigration issues. Personally, I think it's better to give them a license than not and it's just another sign of the states trying to deal with something the feds can't or won't solve.

24. Leo Hubbard macrumors newbie

The driver of an uninsured motor vehicle in the state of Florida who gets caught either by being in an accident or some other way, loses their liscence for 3 years and I think gets their car impounded.

It is technically legal for the insurance company to sue the unlicensed driver of an uninsured cars. However, how much money would they get from such a person compared to how much it would cost to sue them. Remember all they win is a judgement. After the judgement then they have to go for the actual money.