Science Fiar ideas????

Discussion in 'Community' started by aethier, Oct 6, 2003.

1. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

Hello everyone,

well the science fair is comming, and i need back up ideas..

so far me and my friend are planning on formenting a potato to created pure alcohol, and use it to power a rocket.

the one problem with that is our chemistry teacher has to pass it by the administration first, seeing as how it does wiht alcohol...

so, any sugestions for if our plan fails?

aethier

2. aethier thread starter macrumors 6502a

aethier

oh and our other idea is to create a small ion engine, like the one by the E_U, just on a much smaller scale

aethier

suggestion still appreciated

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

If you can manage to get an ion engine to work, I'd be very impressed. The only thing is it would be launching off the planet - they're not that powerful - just very efficient.

What sort of things have won in the past?

D

4. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

Re: Science Fiar ideas????

I wanted to do something simular in my Highschool Chemistry class... only my plan to forment a variaty of fruits and determine which made the better houch... :D

Didn't go over to well with my teacher, didn't even make it to administration

5. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

2 Words:

Tesla Coil.

:p

(I'm not kidding, they can be made)

6. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

evil- that was funny. have a little hand stroking, then "boom".

anyways, the rocket thing sounds cool.

7. aethier thread starter macrumors 6502a

aethier

well thanks for contributing,
    yeah obviously we arent going to blast the ion engine into space, i am not sure how we will demonstrate i working, if we do that and it works... hmm, i guess we could turn it on and see what happens..

aethier

8. aethier thread starter macrumors 6502a

aethier

yeah, we arent planning on building an actual satelite for in space or anything.. how would we get it there.. well we could always use our alcohol powered rocket..;)
    anyways we plan on doing it a lot less complex, if at all.

as for what usualy wins, well they take the best projects from our school, and put them up against the best from others, so i dont really know. ( i never went)

aethier

9. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

if you could mess with time somehow i bet that would win... people hate time

10. vickyturner macrumors newbie

New science fair project website

Try this website at All Science Fair Project Ideas.

The site has over 500 free ideas. Enter a keyword - try "rocket" or "ferment"and see what you get. The ideas are fully searchable and categorised by topic.

All the best!:)

11. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

build a nuke like in that movie Manhattan Project.

12. alxths macrumors 6502

dude, i've got a GREAT idea!!! take baking soda and vinigar and make something like a VALCANO!!!!!!!! it'll blow everyone away:cool:

13. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

Impressive like a pet rock...

14. coopdog macrumors 6502a

Van De Graph Generators are always easy and make big sparks :)

Or even cooler is a Jacob's latter. The thing where a lighting bolt travels uo between two rods really cool.

All it is pretty much is a base, two streight coat hangers and an old neon power supply.

15. Dros macrumors 6502

Here are some winning ideas from a science fair last year:

Elementary School Level
    1st Place: "My Uncle Is A Man Named Steve (Not A Monkey)"

Cassidy Turnbull (grade 5) presented her uncle, Steve. She also showed photographs of monkeys and invited fairgoers to note the differences between her uncle and the monkeys. She tried to feed her uncle bananas, but he declined to eat them. Cassidy has conclusively shown that her uncle is no monkey.

2nd Place: "Pine Cones Are Complicated"
    David Block and Trevor Murry (grades 4) showed how specifically complicated pine cones are and how they reveal God's design in nature.

Honorable Mention:
    "God Made Kitty" - Sally Reister (grade 3)
    "The Bible Says Creation" - Aaron Kent (grade 5)
    "Pokemon Prove Evolutionism Is False" - Paul Sanborn (grade 4)

Middle School Level
    1st Place: "Life Doesn't Come From Non-Life"
    Patricia Lewis (grade 8) did an experiment to see if life can evolve from non-life. Patricia placed all the non-living ingredients of life - carbon (a charcoal briquet), purified water, and assorted minerals (a multi-vitamin) - into a sealed glass jar. The jar was left undisturbed, being exposed only to sunlight, for three weeks. (Patricia also prayed to God not to do anything miraculous during the course of the experiment, so as not to disqualify the findings.) No life evolved. This shows that life cannot come from non-life through natural processes.

2nd Place: "Women Were Designed For Homemaking"
    Jonathan Goode (grade 7) applied findings from many fields of science to support his conclusion that God designed women for homemaking: physics shows that women have a lower center of gravity than men, making them more suited to carrying groceries and laundry baskets; biology shows that women were designed to carry un-born babies in their wombs and to feed born babies milk, making them the natural choice for child rearing; social sciences show that the wages for women workers are lower than for normal workers, meaning that they are unable to work as well and thus earn equal pay; and exegetics shows that God created Eve as a companion for Adam, not as a co-worker.

Honorable Mention:
    "Mousetrap Reduced To Pile Of Functionless Parts" - Kevin Parker (grade 7)
    "Dinosaur & Man Walked Together" - Donny Findlay (grade 6)
    "Rocks Can't Evolve, Where Did They Come From Mr. Darwin?" - Anna Reed (grade 6)

High School Level
    1st Place: "Using Prayer To Microevolve Latent Antibiotic Resistance In Bacteria"
    Eileen Hyde and Lynda Morgan (grades 10 & 11) did a project showing how the power of prayer can unlock the latent genes in bacteria, allowing them to microevolve antibiotic resistance. Escherichia coli bacteria cultured in agar filled petri dishes were subjected to the antibiotics tetracycline and chlorotetracycline. The bacteria cultures were divided into two groups, one group (A) received prayer while the other (B) didn't. The prayer was as follows: "Dear Lord, please allow the bacteria in Group A to unlock the antibiotic-resistant genes that You saw fit to give them at the time of Creation. Amen." The process was repeated for five generations, with the prayer being given at the start of each generation. In the end, Group A was significantly more resistant than Group B to both antibiotics.

2nd Place: "Maximal Packing Of Rodentia Kinds: A Feasibility Study"
    Jason Spinter's (grade 12) project was to show the feasibility of Noah's Ark using a Rodentia research model (made of a mixture of hamsters and gerbils) as a representative of diluvian life forms. The Rodentia were placed in a cage with dimensions proportional to a section of the Ark. The number of Rodentia used (58) was calculated using available Creation Science research and was based on the median animal size and their volumetric distribution in the Ark. The cage was also fitted with wooden dowels inserted at regular intervals through the cage walls, forming platforms which provided support for the Rodentia. Although there was little room left in the cage, all Rodentia were able to move just enough to ward off muscle atrophy. Food pellets and water were delivered to sub-surface Rodentia via plastic drinking straws inserted into the Rodentia-mass, which also served to allow internal air flow. Once a day, the cage was sprayed with water to cleanse any built-up waste. Additionally, the cage was suspended on bungee cords to simulate the rocking motion of a ship. The study lasted 30 days and 30 nights, with all Rodentia surviving at least long enough afterwards to allow for reproduction. These findings strongly suggest that Noah's Ark could hold and support representatives of all antediluvian animal kinds for the duration of the Flood and subsequent repopulation of the Earth.

Honorable Mention:
    "Geocentrism: Politically Incorrect" - Richard Cody (grade 9)
    "Young Earth, Old Lies" - Melvin Knuth & Glenna Reher (grade 11)
    "Thermodynamics Of Hell Fire" - Tom Williamson (grade 12)

Web site here

16. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Something tells me this is a religious school....

I love the 'Women are more suited to home-making experiment'. :p

17. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

some good idea's perhaps you should look into building a type of lifter? no moving parts and can hover with enough electricity.

18. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

2nd Place: "Pine Cones Are Complicated"
    David Block and Trevor Murry (grades 4) showed how specifically complicated pine cones are and how they reveal God's design in nature.

Didn't the famous mathematician Fibonacci do this exact same thing a few centuries ago? But, unlike that kid, Fibonacci used the patterns to reveal mathematical properties within nature, not "God's design".

Middle School Level
    1st Place: "Life Doesn't Come From Non-Life"
    Patricia Lewis (grade 8) did an experiment to see if life can evolve from non-life. Patricia placed all the non-living ingredients of life - carbon (a charcoal briquet), purified water, and assorted minerals (a multi-vitamin) - into a sealed glass jar. The jar was left undisturbed, being exposed only to sunlight, for three weeks. (Patricia also prayed to God not to do anything miraculous during the course of the experiment, so as not to disqualify the findings.) No life evolved. This shows that life cannot come from non-life through natural processes.

Is this an experiment that is trying to disprove evolutionary theory in favor of something religous (creationism)? If so, then this cannot help your argument. Having a whole bunch of refined elements of life in disproportionate amounts cannot produce life. If this person did their research, they would have found that evolution theory acknowledges the formation of even basic, single celled microbes took millions of years. 3 weeks would hardly get you more than just some common airborne mold on your charcoal and a dissolved vitamin.

2nd Place: "Women Were Designed For Homemaking"
    Jonathan Goode (grade 7) applied findings from many fields of science to support his conclusion that God designed women for homemaking: physics shows that women have a lower center of gravity than men, making them more suited to carrying groceries and laundry baskets; biology shows that women were designed to carry un-born babies in their wombs and to feed born babies milk, making them the natural choice for child rearing; social sciences show that the wages for women workers are lower than for normal workers, meaning that they are unable to work as well and thus earn equal pay; and exegetics shows that God created Eve as a companion for Adam, not as a co-worker.

Im not exactly sure how scientific this actually is, but Im sure the female teachers/judges wouldnt enjoy it much.

"Rocks Can't Evolve, Where Did They Come From Mr. Darwin?" - Anna Reed (grade 6)

HAHA! Thats just rich!

2nd Place: "Maximal Packing Of Rodentia Kinds: A Feasibility Study"
    Jason Spinter's (grade 12) project was to show the feasibility of Noah's Ark using a Rodentia research model (made of a mixture of hamsters and gerbils) as a representative of diluvian life forms. The Rodentia were placed in a cage with dimensions proportional to a section of the Ark. The number of Rodentia used (58) was calculated using available Creation Science research and was based on the median animal size and their volumetric distribution in the Ark. The cage was also fitted with wooden dowels inserted at regular intervals through the cage walls, forming platforms which provided support for the Rodentia. Although there was little room left in the cage, all Rodentia were able to move just enough to ward off muscle atrophy. Food pellets and water were delivered to sub-surface Rodentia via plastic drinking straws inserted into the Rodentia-mass, which also served to allow internal air flow. Once a day, the cage was sprayed with water to cleanse any built-up waste. Additionally, the cage was suspended on bungee cords to simulate the rocking motion of a ship. The study lasted 30 days and 30 nights, with all Rodentia surviving at least long enough afterwards to allow for reproduction. These findings strongly suggest that Noah's Ark could hold and support representatives of all antediluvian animal kinds for the duration of the Flood and subsequent repopulation of the Earth.

Wait a second. How does the use of rodents in a study conclude that every species of animal could survive? Rodents are short lived animals and are quite small. How about testing something like an ox? By the way, if my bible knowledge serves me right, arent rats considered unclean animals?

Honorable Mention:
    "Geocentrism: Politically Incorrect" - Richard Cody (grade 9)
    "Young Earth, Old Lies" - Melvin Knuth & Glenna Reher (grade 11)
    "Thermodynamics Of Hell Fire" - Tom Williamson (grade 12)

What the hell...?

-----------------------------------------
    Your best bet, aethier, is to not try any of these. Remember the separation of church and state. :)

19. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Well, you can always make one of those things that stop rays of light from moving. Then you put something in front of the stopped light, and then push it up to light speed. Just make sure nobody is in front of it. :)

20. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

I really shouldn't be laughing at this, but I can't help it. That comment about carrying groceries is fantastic :D :D :D

21. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

22. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Wow. If that site's not a big joke, I'm just going to have to ignore it. Christian Taliban.

Otherwise, it's good for a laugh!

23. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

I wasn't kidding...

Tesla Coil

It is very science based... and when you come home, you can keep your pride.

Also you can kill some arch-enemyies that way... ;)

Tho I aint kidding.

I've seen one in action... took a while to build... absolutely amazing.

24. joshuwa72 macrumors member

glad its a science fair and not a spelling bee :p

25. Angelus macrumors 6502

why not do something on forensic science and the techniques used?
    That way you could have a very colourful display if you had an ultraviolet light etc...
    I prescribe copious amounts of CSI:Crime Scene Investigation.