Scientific Atlanta HD DVR and Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by h0e0h, Jun 10, 2006.

1. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

I have this SA Explorer 8300HD and my system profiler recognizes the DVR hooked up via firewire, but i was wondering if anyone knows how to pull recorded material off the DVR via 6-pin to 6-pin firewire. Any recommendations are acceptable.

2. fradac macrumors regular

ya actually, there is this program called irecord. the site is

http://www.ammesset.com/software/irecord/

i have my mac mini plugged to my Comcast Motorola DCT6200 cable box.

and these days, i have been recording world cup matches in HD :)

hope it works for you

3. h0e0h thread starter macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

thanks, i'll give this a whirl tomorrow... the DVR wasn't even recognized in windows... i just got "beep beep beep" when i plugged it in via firewire

4. h0e0h thread starter macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

iRecord isn't quite what i had in mind. I was looking more for a way to mount the DVR as an external HD and then transfer files from it.

5. AtHomeBoy_2000 macrumors 6502a

AtHomeBoy_2000

TYpically, set-top boxes use a propriotary file format to prevent exactly what you want to do. It's a digiral rights worry. It's not a DVD TS stream or a simple MPEG2/MPEG4 file. It's usually wrapped in some sofrt of other file format.

6. h0e0h thread starter macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

shouldn't i, though, be able to mount the DVR as an HD in finder? at least in windows eh?

7. ccrandall77 macrumors regular

I know this thread is old, but I'm not finding much online about iRecord. I've got a TimeWarner SA8300HD. I connected it to my MacMini and have the latest iRecord installed. iRecord sees my cable box and it appeard to have recorded a 7GB file when I tried to record a 1hr program on Discovery HD. However, the file extension was *.0 and the file cannot be opened by Quicktime, VLC, MPlayer, and DivX Player. Anyone know what I might be doing wrong? I had it set to record a *.m2t file so I'm confused as to why it wrote a *.0 file.

TIA
    Curt