Scientist reveals a melting Alaska

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by chanoc, Jan 25, 2005.

1. chanoc macrumors 6502

chanoc

link
    Refer to above link for entire AP article. Hopefully the right-wing-friends-of-the-oil-companies Republicans will melt away too. :D

link - PDF- to the science convention

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Yet, glaciation is increasing in Antarctica and Iceland... guess "global" warming just applies to SOME parts of the globe, hmm?

3. chanoc thread starter macrumors 6502

chanoc

Proof, reference, anything? :)

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

As far as I know, its all shrinking, everywhere. Greenland is even mentioned in the article as melting as well.....

I'd love to see where you heard that it was increasing.

D

5. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

OK...

P. Chylek, et al. 2004, "Global warming and the Greenland ice sheet", Climatic Change 63, 201-21. "Since 1940... data have undergone predominantly a cooling trend... The Greenland ice sheet and coastal regions are not following the current global warming trend." (Sorry, I shoulda said Greenland, not Iceland.)

"Antarctic climate cooling and terrestrial ecosystem response", Nature 415, 517-20. "From 1986 to 2000 central Antarctic valleys cooled 0.7 degrees C PER DECADE (my emphasis) with serious ecosystem damage from cold."

Considering that something like 99% of the world's fresh water is bound up in the Antarctic ice mass, I'd call the fact that it's getting colder there quite significant.

6. chanoc thread starter macrumors 6502

chanoc

Well, at least we know Alaska is melting. :eek:

Last few summers have been hottest on record (okay maybe not by subjective Florida resident tourist standards, who say that an Anchorage summer day in a typical winter day in south Florida :rolleyes: ). The 80f + temps in the summer - with daylight lasting 18+ hours - are hot compared to teen temps in the winter. I have tomorrow off and am thinking of attending the conference.

7. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I think global warming is often perceived to be a general warming of the entire global climate, but this isn't really the case. As glaciers melt, and as the warming atmosphere changes climatic patterns, parts of the world will begin to get colder. For example, if all the icepack at the poles were to melt, the decreased salinity (salt content) of the water would disrupt the gulf stream, (because salt water is less dense than fresh water) causing the northern hemisphere (northern US and europe) to be plunged into a deep freeze. While the movie "The Day After Tomorrow" is entirely fictional and has no scientific agenda, planning, intentions, parts of it demonstrate the possibilities of what would happen if the ice caps were to melt. In the film, this happens over three days, according to several accredited scientists, interviewed and quoted in a spring(?) 2004 issue of Popular Science, this would happen over a 5-10 year period of time.

My point is to say this: You turn the heat up but it's still cold by the windows - what gives?

8. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

yeah, with global warming, there are going to be "winners" and "losers" At any rate, personally I think that global warming is here to stay. This is because I think that the earth is naturally in a period of warming, but I don't deny that pollutions emitted by human activity is making it happen faster, and possible more serverly than it normally would have. But that is just my two cents. :eek:

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Well, for Antarctica, if the center is getting colder, its not helping the coast line. National Geographic recently did a large review of all the issues. There are many regions of Antarctica that are getting warmer. Migration of animals farther south than ever before seen because of their search for colder climates, ice shelves breaking up.

As for Greenland - quite interesting. I think it will take some more time to see a trend there. The sea ice in the north atlantic has been decreasing though. So that's a good indication of warming. Although being surface ice, that plays no part in the global sea level issue.

D

10. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says.....I'll quote Dale Gribble...oh yeah!