Scientists clone man's best friend

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by emw, Aug 4, 2005.

1. emw macrumors G4

emw

Link

Well, at least it wasn't a pit bull or something...

2. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Hey, that's not fair! There are good and bad individuals of every breed. Hmph.

3. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

There aren't enough stray cats and dogs around as it is. They need to clone some more?

EDIT: Sorrry, I didn't mean for that to sound quite so negative. I think it is truly impressive that we are able to perform such a feat, and understand that these types of experiments are necessary if we are to learn enough to move the tech forward to the point it can help develop cures for human diseases and conditions.

4. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

You're right, that was perhaps a little harsh on my part. I'm a labrador man myself.

5. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

mm, chocolate labs! They're so adorable. I don't know though, part of me is still hesitant to approach labs because I seem to always meet the especially large and overly-enthusiastic; ie on their hind legs they're taller than I am and always take me down. :eek:

6. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i don't think there is any reason to clone pets. there are enough pets available that nobody wants

but this research can become very useful in preserving species that are going to be extinct soon. and of course it's a milestone on the way for human therapeutics. that's actually what the scientists said.

7. S14-Racer macrumors newbie

yeah I had a monster of a lab weighing in at 160 lbs... He was a lab / retriever mix, and he definitely had something else thrown in the mix due to his shear size. He was a great dog though.

Currently I have both a chocolate lab and a pit bull. The lab is the sneakiest disloyal dog Ive owned, and I have spent a ton of time training her. The pit on the other hand is extremely docile and loyal.

Not bashing, but justifying the point :)

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Agreed. PowerMac666- please make Marilyn's hair right again! :)

9. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Scientists clone man's best friend. Next step, scientists clone man.

I vote for SJ to be cloned, that way he can run Apple forever. Then, clone the supermodels so they can wait on us hand and foot. :p

10. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

11. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

Nah, I think we already know Steve's thoughts on clones.
    :p

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I love dogs. They are like part of the family to their owners. My concern is for the health of the dog. Causes sadness to see anything suffer. :(

13. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

No no, you're right. Many of these projects (well, the ones in the US, since the actual groundbreaking research is now being done in south korea because we're play ostrich) are being done by Genetic Savings & Clone, which is an unfortunate company that, among other things, wants to clone people's pets when they die. I'm sorry, but it's just wrong on way too many levels. Cloning animals for research is one thing, cloning them for commerce is quite another.

14. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Do away with the need for Shelters and (sadly) euthinizations, and then I may begin to even toy with the idea that cloning dogs (or cats, for that matter) is right...

15. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Currently I think that it's mainly for research. Doing it commercially would be wrong.

16. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

The local newspapers did a huge spread awhile back about a private company which will collect DNA of a pet and could/would clone that pet if anything were to happen to it. Kittens start at $100,000. One woman who had already used the service said that her kitten was already displaying unique characteristic traits of her deceased cat! :eek: Dogs cost more-- dunno why.

17. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Dunno why anyone would want to clone their pets. If I get a new dog, I'd always want to discover the new dog's personality. There's something intrinsic in our nature to welcome new life, as opposed to the "dark occult" of rehashing dead souls.

18. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I agree, a pet, is literally like a new family member-- it just would feel wrong to "create" a new one that was really, well, the old one. I'm much more inclined to adopt a new pet. :D