Scientists Demonstrate Teleportation

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by gauchogolfer, Oct 5, 2006.

1. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

CNN link

Crazy cool stuff.

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Great stuff. Just as long as a house-fly doesn't sneak into the chamber when they do the first live test we'll be alright.

3. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

or if Bill Gates snook in with the fly

that would be one ugly Fly:D

4. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

I believe teleporting humans will be possible one day. It's the optimist in me. :)

But before we can master teleportation, we'll first need to master quantum mechanics, since we'll probably require quantum computers powerful enough to break-down our molecules and re-constitute them over long distances.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't want to have all the atoms that make up all the cells in my body teleported somewhere without an ability to put all my fracking atoms back together to form cells, and those cells to form me.

Otherwise, you're essentially turning me into a bag of sand ---- loose atoms that make up nothing coherent.

But think about how easy it would be to travel to Easter Island or something --- wherever you wish!

6. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Hopefully we will have time machines by then too. So if Bill Gates does sneak in we can go back and try again. :D

7. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

only problem about teleportation, it deletes the original copy. so if you were teleported form one side of the room to the other its not going to be you just a very good copy. but your deleted witch is a nice way to say your dead. this will be great for transport thou. have the latest mac beemed right to your transporter room a long with all your shopping. or for nasa to transport food and supplys to spacestations cheeply allowing us to make the solor system just that little easyer to conqure and fight over. lol The Scottish Empire of Mars and the Engish domain of Jupiter and the terrorest training death star of the moon.

8. Palad1 macrumors 6502a

Palad1

It'd better be real fast at reconstructing you. I would hate to try the lag on this device... :)

9. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

10. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

Would that computer controlling it run with 512MB of RAM?

11. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Check: Lawnmower Man....you know the scene

What you are referring to could not happen though, as the strong nuclear forces keep atoms and molecules from doing just that.

though without proper scientific testing who the hell knows!

12. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

Yeah baby, a dane!:D

It's cool to teleport to school...:p

13. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

thats really cool! Next: a small plant or animal?

14. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Well in my case, that might be an improvement. Sandsack on!

15. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Oh, great. Just great.

The lines at the Apple Store in tax-free New Hampshire are long enough as it is. When people start teleporting in just to get a good deal on the new Quantum Macs, it'll just get worse.

16. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I don't think we have much fly monsters to worry about anyway because by the time humans can teleport...most of us will be turning over in our graves. I'll leave the worrying to my great great grand kids.
    But still cool though:)

Bless

17. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Oh jebus, I can just see the threads now..

"Intel came out with the Q2 10 minutes ago, why isn't the MBP being updated?!?"

18. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

19. NeoMac macrumors regular

NeoMac

These quantum computers will probably be runing Mac OS 10.10.5 Sabertooth ;)

20. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

Dont forget the "MacBook Pro G7's Next tuesday!!!"

I dont see this to go very far, the second we start beaming solid objects around is when, UPS, USPS, FedEx etc.. go under, they will not allow that.

21. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

22. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

<knock knock>

Who is it?

UPS Special Forces! Open the door! You will surrender items for shipping! You will do what Brown tells you to do!

23. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Interesting. Although, I don't see this working for anything living. Sure the matter would be transported but the life-form would be dead. Even if you don't believe in a spirit the electrical impulses, etc in the body would cease.

24. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

What makes you think that? Just a gut feeling?

If this works the way it's supposed to, it would be an exact copy (even down to the electrical impulses) of whatever the original object was. As long as it doesn't take more than a fraction of a second to teleport, I would suspect a living thing to be just fine.

I'm curious as to whether or not they can record any of the information while in transit, or if quantum physics prevents that. Once you made one copy, could you make millions more for real cheap? ;)

25. Palad1 macrumors 6502a

Palad1

DISCLAIMER I'm an atheist, although I worship Descartes ;)

What happens during teleportation? Some atoms are moved from point A to point B in a defined timespan. An object X which, at a time T was at the point A, is translated to point B, at T+Delta

Let's assume all the atoms are located at the right place, all the quarks are where they should be, every spin is intact and the energy levels are unchanged between X@(T) and X@(T+Duration).

So, the question is, what happens during the Delta timespan? Are your atoms transmitted serially, 8 at a time, in other words, what is the bandwitdth of this thing?

If the bandwidth is not infinite, Delta will be > 0 then that means that between T and T+Delta, X will not be coherent, instead we will have parts of X at point A, and parts of X at point B.

The religious types will ask: Between T and T+Duration, where is your soul? What happens to it after T+Duration?

The pragmatic types will ask: If your atoms are moving at the speed of light, what will happen while your brain gets transported? Do you stop thinking? What happens to the thoughts you have during transportation? Are you still the same person?

Of course, the gamers will say that all the answers are already known, but they are a loony bunch.