Scientists Invent 3D Gadget and Bio Printers......

Discussion in 'Community' started by 000111one111000, Mar 10, 2003.

1. 000111one111000 macrumors regular

Jul 23, 2001
    DeKalb, IL
    I don't know how many have already seen this, nor do I know if it's been posted yet, but I did a few searches and came up with nothing.

Anyways, these new printers are, basically, "replicators" somewhat like in Star Trek. Well, the idea is basically the same.

In both instances, scientists have taken inkjet printers and, in the first article, made them to print out 3D living tissue. The ink is replaced by a suspension of cells.

In the second article, scientists have made it so they can print out a lightbulb, using electroactive polymers.

"Gadget Printer"

Anyways, I just wanted to see what some other people thought about this.

Can you just imagine the day when you say "honey, my Mac just died, can you order a new one for me and print it out real quick?" Or "I hate my face, I'm gonna print out a new one."

In some areas, I can see how this perhaps could be a bad idea, in terms of businesses having to face a new form of copyright or theft, etc. But in the medical area, I see this as nothing but good. Need a new lung? Let's print one out. New heart, gimme a few minutes to print one for you.

discuss :)

2. scem0 macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    I don't get it.... How can you print out these things?

I would read the articles but I am too lazy. Someone summarize.

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    it's kind of removed from star trek, but it is cool... there actually was a thread on this quite a while ago... this could be used for a ton of stuff, and the money will come from cosmetic applications.

anyone read the book "Beauty"?