Scientists offered cash to dispute climate study

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Feb 2, 2007.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

guardian

despite the money, you "can't stop the signal".

2. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

What's going to happen to the polar bears when all the ice melts is what I try to avoid thinking about. :(

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Wow- years of scientific study that is supposed to help us learn will now be debunked by Republicans who want to make a buck. Bet you it all happens in the name of God too. :rolleyes:

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Can't help it really, it's even in the Bible:

"And so God said unto the masses, for it is so I do like the purr of a big V8. Useth I say the gasoline - though some may call it petrol - until every last drop hath disappear-ed from beneath the ground for it is the juice of the devil and the more cylinders thou use to destroy the black ooze of satan it will bear well for thee to enter the kingdom of heaven."

5. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Every time I break out my little radio controlled electric car, I'm always amazed at how fast and powerful it is. Even though it's just a toy, it seems superior to full size petrol powered cars.

6. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

do you know about the electric version of the ariel atom?

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You don't hear Motors 12:28 quoted a lot.

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

yeah right. have you looked at the size of the battery compared to the r/c car? Also the weight of the battery compared to the r/c car? Until they can make batteries cheaper and smaller hybrid is still the way to go.

They have an electric car in Japan that can go 0-60 in 4 seconds and drive for 300 miles, but the batteries cost $230,000 not including the car.

9. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Are you trying to tell us that technology will never advance from where it is today? Batteries will never be cheaper? Carbon fiber will never be used in the average car?

Yeah, it's all pricy right now especially when the price is only that of a manufacturer's one off.

Seems like you're stuck in a time warp where things never improve or get better.

10. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

No, I believe the children are our future. Teach them well and let them lead the way. :)

also, tell them (children) all the beauty they possess inside.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Dodging the question, as always. At least that one was creative.

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

In Phoenix, the people are melting -- but it ain't global warming.

It is that damn local climate change caused by people and buildings.

And it has been rather dramatic.

Though some of the "crazy" people have tried to design around the problems here and build with regard to the environment instead of trying to alter it inside a box, such as ...

www.arcosanti.org

Sort of odd that his warnings about building in AZ are coming true in so short a time.

13. aquajet macrumors 68020

Creative? It's not as if those words haven't been spoken a million times already on the radio. :rolleyes:

14. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

c'mon that was a little joke. :D

But I'm not dodging the question, its just absurd to say that I dont think technology will advance. True electric cars, in the way we think about cars now, are probably at least 30 years off. Even if we had them now it wouldnt do the environment any good anyway. That report that just came out said that the earth will continue to warm if we do anything about it or not.

15. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

They also have a much larger problem looming on the horizon....water. Much of the inhabited regions of the US Southwest is completely arid, except for two sources; irrigation canals from the Colorado River and ancient underground aquifers.

The battle for the Colorado's water is already a few decades old, and it is going to get worse each year. Huge, powerful lobbies are directly impact. In fact, their very existence depends on constant supply of this valuable resource. Examples:

1) Las Vegas, Los Angeles, and other lesser metropolitan areas
    2) The winter food growing region of the Imperial Valley
    3) The immense agricultural region of central California- the San Juaquin Valley
    4) The new sprawl along the Mexican Border

It is not known by many people, the Colorado River no longer reaches the sea. It used to drain into the Sea of Cortez. Now it becomes a pitiful mud-puddle a few miles away. If anyone is interested, I am attaching a link to some quick reading on the subject.

End of The Colorado

The ancient wells and aquifers are being drained at an alarming rate. In many areas, the earth has actually dropped several feet from the waters being syphoned out. I am pretty sure that grass lawns are now illegal in many areas. In the Indio-Palm Springs area, all of the golf courses are required to use reclaimed sewage water for sprinklers and water features. However, even with conservation, the amount of consumption will ultimately leave these wells dry.

There is no question a major calamity is in store for the desert southwest. Much is at stake and will have a direct impact on the entire country. I am not referring to Las Vegas not being able to light up the evening sky. A large percentage of America's winter produce comes from this region. Although it is still too early to say, we may see the day when we depend on importing a much larger percent of our food.

16. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

hmm.... i guess you haven't seen this this:

http://www.sonyclassics.com/whokilledtheelectriccar/

;)

17. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I do now. . . . :)

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

This is important enough to repeat. Southern California's next major energy crisis is not going to be electricity -- it will be water.

What we're going to do about it remains a mystery. There's talk of cranking up some of the old oceanside desaliniation plants, or of even building new ones. But that's still a fraction of the demand. Conservation will have to be mandated if people won't adopt it voluntarily. Which they won't, as we've all seen. And then they'll bitch about government taking their right to a lawn away, etc. We'll get people vowing that the government will have to pry their lawn from their cold, dead hands...

There will be major fights between developers and farmers for the available water. Meanwhile the sprawl continues, and every sunny day I drive out through the fields that are being irrigated heavily.

We're going to have to rely heavily on greywater systems sooner or later and we're all going to have to have drought-resistant landscaping and agricultural interests are going to have to develop more efficient uses of water if they want to keep current levels of acreage producing.

Of course, at the rate the developers are taking the farmland that may be difficult...
    [/RANT]