Scientology?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Josias, Oct 31, 2006.

?

What is your opinion on Church of Scientology, and would you join?

1. It's an orginisation trying to relieve us and improve our lives.

6 vote(s)
    3.8%
  2. It's an orginisation trying to rob os off our money and enslave us.

103 vote(s)
    65.6%
  3. Yes, I would join.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No, I wouldn't join.

116 vote(s)
    73.9%
  5. I am a Scientologist.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I am a Scientologist and a member of The Sea Organization.

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  1. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

Hello,
    I'm currently doing a major school project concerning Scientology, and yesterday, I interviewed a scientologist and tored one of their 5 major centers. I visited the one in Copenhagen (Jernbanegade 6), which is center for the entire Europe and Northern Africa.

Anyways, I'd like your opinion on Scientology, also, if you after voting could post reasoning your choice.:)

If you don't know much, try these webpages:
    xenu.net
    scientology.org

Vote twice, one if you would join or not, and one if it's bogus or relief.

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

4. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

^^That's not one of the options in the poll. ;)

PS: I believe in Mickey Mouse. My father was Jedi, and my mother clucks like a chicken. Can someone make a more inclusive poll?

6. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

there is no place for religeon and fairy tales in the 21st century, they cause more bad than good and i think as a race our brains can now cope with the thought of no life after death.

7. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

I can understand why the seem appealing to people on the surface, i.e. the human mind can accomplish anything. It's just a form of humanism. That said, I find its secrecy and alleged use of spiritualism for money worrisome.

8. commonpeople macrumors regular

No- it is not humanism!! It's a way of bleeding out money from its followers and brainwashing. It's about as far from humanism as you can get. It's far closer to religion. The fact that it's got 'Scien-' in its name doesn't make it any more scientific than any other religion.

You may want to read the new Richard Dawkins book- 'The God Delusion' to understand more about how ridiculous all religion is.

9. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Not to mention the fact that, in some countries at least, we've evolved past needing to be controlled through the fear of God and instead live in democratic societies, but I like your simplistic summary.

Scientology = no.

10. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I agree. Religion takes the wonder out of the world by placing the amazing sights and sounds of the earth right in the hands of an all powerful deity rather than delicate and random interactions over immensely long periods of time.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm of similar mind. Just the scare stories I've read, speaking about deaths and murders triggered by them spooks me a little. Sure religion does this all the time, but a cult? And they better not drop any nukes down volcanoes on my planet.

12. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Calm down. What I wrote was that on the surface, it is a form of humanism. Ever read their flagship book Dianetics? It centers on the human capacity to overcome obstacles. What is the definition of humanism? The thought that rejects stereotypical religious beliefs in order to promote human capacity and worth.

I myself am agnostic, but I at least acknowledge the relevance and communal qualities of religion. Perhaps, you should read books that don't promote such closed-minded judgment and ignorance of others. Don't paint everyone with your Richard Dawkins-approved brush stroke.

13. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

LOL - That is what me laugh the most when I read up on them. I give most religions respect and understanding, what I hate the most are self proclaimed 'atheists' try to stuff it down the throats of others that this and that doesn't exist - ignorant morons.

Anyway I gave Scientology a chance, reading and finding out for myself what all the fuss was about rather than hop on the Media bandwagon of overkill, up till the point when they said once upon a time - we were all picked up, stuffed in volcanoes and blown up with atom bombs.

Anyway, after much reading it's all too clear of their organisation, (It is NOT a religion, and many Scientologists regard Scientology as an organisation to help anyway - people just pick up on the religion 'theory' associated with them as a means of stirring things up.), that it is heavily based on old era science fiction, and seems very much picked out of the head of Hubbard.

My ultimate opinion? A science fiction story gone crazy. :eek:

14. krestfallen macrumors member

krestfallen

a short time ago the scientology-guys were in my town in germany to get more members. they were very, very penetrant.
    a friend of mine took the booklet just for fun. damn, you can't imagine what kind of crap they are writing about. it's ridiculous.

they are manipulating the people with simple tricks and many are dumb enough to join.

and the methods how to get more people to scientology are daunting. they mask themselves as teacher to give young people, who have problem in school, private lessons. they manipulate them so that the kids may agree with this and tell their parents about scientology...

15. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

*shiny eyes*
    Oooooooh, were they?

(I'm sorry oh Xenu, I couldn't resist it)

16. krestfallen macrumors member

krestfallen

i haven't had any contact with these people before so i didn't know how they advertise themselves.

17. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

Considering the 'religions' creator , L Ron Hubbard, stole millions of dollars from his own scientology church and died whilst on the run, I consider it a bit of a bogus religion. But thats just my opinion :rolleyes:

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

That's because you're not a LV III Thetan yet. Now give the church a lot of money, and they might let you in on more of the story...

19. Queso macrumors G4

They're a bit scary and I wouldn't want anything to do with them, but then I have a problem with any organised religion and think they're all based on made-up nonsense and prey on the vulnerable. So my answer is No, I won't join, but if you asked me the same question on the Christian Church I would give the same answer.

Take that as you will.

20. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

The closest thing that comes to my idea of religion is the movie 'Flatliners.' ;)

21. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

That plus the fact that he was a science fiction writer. What "god-like" properties did he have?

22. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

Actually i think his thetan level allowed him to fly and kill people with a thought.

Apparently tom cruise can fly as well.

....... deary me

23. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Nah, Tom's just short enough for me to throw him. It's got nothing to do with his theten level, it's more along the line of everytime I see him I garb him by the collar and hurl him as far away from me as I can.

24. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Tom.....ah yes, Tom Cruise. He's a great guy. Fantastic.........for me to poop on!

25. brikeh macrumors 6502a

brikeh

:D :D :D

Scientology scares the crap out of me...or actually the fact that some people believe in this stuff scares the crap out of me.