SciFi Channel Specials: Children of Dune and Riverworld

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mr. Anderson, Mar 13, 2003.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    Ok, I was watching the SciFi channel last night and saw a couple previews of SciFi only shows that look like they might be very cool.

Children of Dune

And something that if done right could be amazing - Riverworld based on the book series by Phillip Jose Farmer which I read many years ago.

Anyone ever read Riverworld?

2. macktheknife macrumors 6502a

Jan 24, 2002
    I saw the Sci-Fi "Dune" mini-series two years ago, and it did the book much more justice than David Lynch's version. The story was very much in line with the book's, and Sci-Fi obviously spent a great deal of time making the whole series look good. Many of the same actors from "Dune" will be returning to "Children of Dune", so I'm sure it'll be great.
  3. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

Jan 19, 2003
    London, England
    I read Riverworld a number of times years ago, I remember having to wait for the last book, I thought it was an excellent idea that outstayed it's welcome just a little.

I loved the tag line:

"You may not be mentioned, but you're here."

Farmer's other work was OK, but I preferred Niven and Fred Phoul (sp?) for the way-out stuff then, and rate Iain M. Banks, Wiliam Gibson and Bruce Sterling (amongst others) now.

It'll be interesting to see how they handle riverworld.
  4. MrMacMan macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2001
    1 Block away from NYC.
    Dune kicks but let me yell at sci-fi for another reason.

Farscape's reason: Because we can kill it.
    Invisible Man - Its ratings droped 7%.

Dune kicks. Sci-Fi channel does not.
  5. DarkNovaMatter macrumors member

Aug 3, 2001
    I really don't care for Sci-Fi's Dune spins- personally I prefer the books. Riverworld looks good and if I remember the commercial right its going to be directed by the guy that did The Crow?
    Although I do agree with MrMacman- they are doing this- yet they killed off Farscape? this is getting a little rediculous. Also is that true about The invisible man? They only got rid of it for a 7% decrese in ratings? eeeeeeeeeek! I am starting to think there should be a Cult Sci-Fi channel from the normal one- where shows like Farscape, Invisible Man,etc. could reside and do 7 seasons or more. Only thing now is to wait for Farscape to show its last show and then I don't really know what would be on sci-fi that would be worth watching............
  6. iMook macrumors regular

Mar 7, 2003
    Usually, people do prefer the books to the onscreen interpretations, since there ARE certain limitations to movies/mini-series, such as length, limited number of soliloquys, no let-the-audience-read-the-char's-mind parts, etc.

But, Invisible Man WAS awesome, and Children of Dune looks very good. I'll be one of the millions that will tune into the premiere. :D
  7. Perci Mac macrumors member

Feb 1, 2003
    In a state of perpetual waiting
    dune messiah?

Was there a dune messiah? They couldn't really do a good children of dune without doing dune messiah.