SCO

Discussion in 'Community' started by job, Aug 5, 2003.

1. job macrumors 68040

job

Frankly, I'm surprised there hasn't been a decent thread here at Macrumors about the ongoing SCO/IBM and now Red Hat saga.

I'm assuming everyone here has heard about it and thus I wanted to know what Macrumorites think about it. Obviously, ever since the release of 10.0, Linux users are closer to us than ever before

I think my sig offers my opinion in a nutshell.

2. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Hehe, them going after Linux is really not cool.

They aren't even a large group, very well organized but will be very hard to win anything from a lawsuit.

Most of their claims are bull, but *prays* maybe this will end the
    'I own *nix copyright'
    'No, I own ___ code they use in *nix!'
    And then they sell the rights... arg, so hard to follow.

Suing Linux is gonna be like suing File Sharers, ugly and based in clouded logic.
    'I think we own ___'
    'We do?'
    'I think so'
    'well they use ___'
    'omg, they are breaking copyright, lets sue'

Stupid logic.

3. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I was actually considering posting a thread in Current Events earlier after I read the latest Slashdot update on them.

Has anyone seen their latest plot? Commercial Linux users can now license their computer with them for the low low price of $699 US (soon to go up to $1399 US) and then you will be "legally" running Linux.
    Why, that's even better then the RIAA special!

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

An evil plot by Micro$haft to make the insane pricing structure of Winblows look cheap.

And people say the 18 month upgrades are too expensive for Apple's *nix -- OS X.

And that $699 fee by SCO is PER processor. :eek:

Wonder how much they ask for from the Mac users for their illegal software. :rolleyes:

I hope SCO is training a decent cadre of antitrust lawyers, they may need them.

5. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I predict the situation will end with an IBM/Red Hat legal tag team followed up by a Linux user class action suit and ending in an Enron style financial scandal.

The stock price being driven up by the illusion of a legal claim to Linux will suddenly nosedive following the lawsuits while the company execs will profit greatly having sold their stock right before the drop. This will result in numerous insider trading suits along with antitrust suits on top of the IBM, Red Hat and general class action suits.

Should be good for some entertainment.

6. VIREBEL661 macrumors regular

I have to agree that this is utter BS, and a dream come true for m$...Makes me wonder if they have anything to do with it??? I think people are crazy to use windoze over Linux (or any Unix for that matter) on some sort of corporate server... Asking for trouble... I'm sure people do, but Unix is the way to go... I was so happy when Apple decided to adopt Unix, I was using OS 9 with NetBSD on another drive... I prolly would've ended up with Linux had Apple not switched, a brilliant move I think... Long live open source!!!! SCO claims are baseless, IMHO...

7. job thread starter macrumors 68040

job

Thankfully the varients of BSD based Unix systems (i.e. Mac OS X) are not under attack.

*Yet*

I find it funny that SCO refuses to detail the actual location of the code in question. Why? They know that the instant they do, most major Linux kernals will be edited, recomplied and re-released/patched. This would effectively void SCO's claims. However, I don't think SCO's lawsuits have any basis in reality either. It's like GM telling me that they own the copyrights to a part used in my hobby car, but they won't tell me which one, only that if I want to legally drive it, I need to pay them $699. Morons.

8. job thread starter macrumors 68040

job

from slashdot

From slashdot comments:

I also thought this was pretty funny:

9. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Exactly. This is essentially a get rich scheme and I am convinced it is a stock scam.

SCO's sales of legitimate products have not been producing enough money so they have invented an imaginary product that has driven their stock up 6X what it was before all this started.

I would say that the SCO CEO is using the extra stock money to fund his expensive crack habit.

10. job thread starter macrumors 68040

job

It may go even deeper than that.

I've been hearing whispers that Microsoft may be helping SCO finance the suit as a way to combat Linux.

The $699/$1399 license for Linux certainly makes Microsoft's products look cheap (that is, if anyone is stupid enough to pay for it.)

Of course, this is just a rumor, but something to keep in mind nontheless.

Oh, and I think most Linux users are thinking: Show me the code.

No code, no proof. No proof, no lawsuit. End of story.

11. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Microsoft took out a license from SCO not too long ago. Now just what purpose would they have for a UNIX license? This involved a multimillion dollar payoff for the role SCO is playing. I don't think old Bill suddenly saw the light and decided to put out UNIX products.

The disgusting thing is that none of SCO's claims have to be true to accomplish Microsoft's objective. That is to throw fear into the minds of clients who are considering Linux as an alternative to Redmond's crappy products.

Oh, I was dismayed to see David Boies signed on to represent SCO. Guess he decided that if you can't beat the evil empire, you might as well join them.

12. job thread starter macrumors 68040

job

Hahahahaha.

This just keeps getting better and better.

Has anyone read SCO's response to IBM's countersuit? What a joke. Move...away from the GPL? What the hell are they smoking?

SCO suing TiVo and the US Government?! Are they on crack?

Can't you see two thugs coming up to Darl McBride and saying this:

:p

13. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-All

Is Microsoft involved in this?

Absolutely. Remember SCO was an incorporated result of Microsoft's failed Posix UNIX venture.

Food for facts.

14. job thread starter macrumors 68040

job

It might be their way of fighting Linux under the table, although I doubt they thought Red Hat and IBM would enter the legal fray. I don't think Microsoft will suffer because of this, but SCO is going down in flames.

15. legion macrumors 6502a

I saw mention of when the CEO sells his stock in SCO.

Well McBride already started selling it off last quarter along with the rest of the SCO board shortly after the stock shotup post introduciing the legal claims. It seems they very well know that they have no claim and cashed in as soon as they could. Of course they had to file SEC filings to do so, but it looks like other investors are willing to stay the course even knowing that the Board is liquidating their ownership... When these investors cry foul to the SEC for deception by the board I hope they're screwed because it's obvious they're hedging their bets in what probably looks to them like a win-win situation (ie, either the stock will go up from a legal win or the company will go bankrupt and the investors will sue for deception.) Also, they're trying to boost the SCO stock value by buying (shell) companies and pretending they have a product (which has already been questioned by the judge assigned to the case.) I hope Sun, SCO, and Microsoft get crushed by this.

:mad: please let this be the next Watergate and the paper trail is clear enough to get all the cronies:mad:

16. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-legion

I wonder if McBride has any idea he's a corporate patsy?

17. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Is Microsoft involved? Does a Bear sh... well you know the rest. Take a look at the following link and note the date:
    http://news.com.com/2100-1016-1007528.html

Why did Microsoft take out the license, costing millions of dollars, if not to give SCO the resources to carry on the suit in order to delay Linux's adoption? I haven't heard of all those new Microsoft plans for UNIX. Seems like a contradiction from their strategy to get the whole world on windows, unless it's a payoff.

18. job thread starter macrumors 68040

job

It also makes you wonder what XP/NT/2000 is *really* based on... :eek:

19. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

They were forced to add a Posix layer during their push to get the Window NT+ onto govt. servers, don't know how well it's held up over the years.

The license also could be a push to update the Posix/Interix layer a bit more to snag more of the Unix/Linux server market.

20. bcsimac macrumors 6502

SCO needs to just go away.....they are just pests!

SCO needs to just go away.....they are just a bunch of pests!

What really makes me mad is that linux has become very popular and we have pushed for open source software for several years now and this one company wants to stop all that.....and do it for only Microsoft's blatent propensity for needing to control the computing world.

Darn Billy Gates anyways.....I would he would just disappear too....it would do the world some good!

21. crenz macrumors 6502a

crenz

Re: SCO needs to just go away.....they are just pests!

I don't see any evidence that e.g. Steve Jobs would behave any better than Bill Gates, if he were in his position. Believe it or not, Microsoft has done some good also...

I find the whole SCO debate quite interesting. People are starting to talk about Linux being insecure because there might be Copyright violations. However, the same problem exists with commercial software -- a fact that people tend to conveniently overlook.

22. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Re: Re: SCO needs to just go away.....they are just pests!

Probably not, but I'd sure like to find out! I'm sure there is some good Microsoft has done - wait a minute and I'll think of some ... I'm still thinking ... hmm, have to get back to you on that.

23. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

The plot thickens, I am now more convinced then ever that this is a stock scam. Expect to see the SCO execs fleeing to the Bahamas shortly.

-SCO execs unloading shares

"SCO Group executives have sold about 119,000 shares of their company since it filed a lawsuit against IBM in March and the stock price increased more than fourfold. "

http://www.sltrib.com/2003/Aug/08122003/business/83193.asp

24. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-God

Please let the SEC be in the air over Utah with planes ready to arrest these men for securities fraud.

Please let the SEC and FBI have the headquarters under surveillance.

Please let the SEC and FBI find the orders from Redmond that started all of this.

25. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien