Scott Forstall's "Nearby Friends" Controller. Anyone?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by krye, Jun 10, 2008.

1. macrumors 68000

krye

I looked on the ADC and don't see it. Anyone know where I can get it? I want to build that app he demoed during the WWDC08 keynote.

I created the UI, but have nothing to wire it too. He said the controller was only about 300 lines, but I don't know where to start.

2. macrumors 6502a

I also found it to be a bit deceptive how they said they just built the app in 10 minutes. He didn't write the code there.

3. thread starter macrumors 68000

krye

Yeh, look how easy it is to throw this app together when the 300 lines of code is taken care of. Sure, I threw the UI together in 2 minutes, but how long would it take to wrote the code? I'm new at cocoa, and I have no idea where to start.

4. macrumors 68000

lofight

After some experience with cocoa and some fast-typing fingers, an app like that shouldn't take too long..

5. macrumors 68000

savar

...you need to know how to program. In particular, you need to know objective C.

He glossed over it because nobody wants to watch somebody type and debug code on a live broadcast, but the 300 lines certainly isn't trivial to a complete novice. It's a short program, but it's still a program.

6. macrumors 68020

kkat69

I too would like to see this particular app, on a side note, he mentioned "Create a new Cocoa Touch Application" from the template chooser........ I don't see that template.

Am I missing something? Installed XCode and the iPhone SDK but the templates I see don't match whats in the Key Note presentation.

7. thread starter macrumors 68000

krye

I didn't see that option either. I chose "View-Based Application" under iPhone and so far, the UI looks and acts just like Scott's.