Scott McNealy quits as head of Sun

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by gekko513, Apr 24, 2006.

1. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

[BBC]
    How will it affect the future and course of Sun?

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I didn't think anybody but me would care, so I posted my comment here. I'll miss his speeches, because he always had an opinion and didn't mince words. Whether I agreed with his opinion or not, I found it refreshing to listen to him.

He'll still be Chairman, however, so maybe we'll still hear fro mhim.

3. gekko513 thread starter macrumors 603

gekko513

I was very into Java for a while and a bit Solaris-curious, so I did follow Sun's actions for a while.

Now I'm just content with using Java when I need it and I've been exposed to Solaris without really getting the hang of it, but it's still interesting to see where Sun's headed. They are still a major player in the computer industry even if they're not as influencial as they used to be.

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

There's speculation that Google may buy a ton of SPARC servers to run their search engine on, because they handle heat well. That would certainly be a killer deal for Sun and good for bragging rights.

5. gekko513 thread starter macrumors 603

gekko513

Indeed. The other day I also noticed that ebay was advertising itself as being powered by Sun and using Java technology. Not that it's surprising that such a large internet presence runs on Sun equipment, but I haven't seen that visible branding of server technology on comparable sites before.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, I really hope they don't fold and will stick around. So many people use Sun and Java, and if they were marketed better, I'm sure more people will appreciate how useful it can all be.