Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 16, 2003
[BBC]
The 51-year-old will quit the post with immediate effect, but will stay on at the company in the role of chairman.

Sun's current president and chief financial officer Jonathan Schwartz will take over at the helm of the firm.

The news came as the US firm revealed third quarter losses had widened to $217m (£121.4m) from $28m at the same time a year ago.

How will it affect the future and course of Sun?

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I didn't think anybody but me would care, so I posted my comment here. I'll miss his speeches, because he always had an opinion and didn't mince words. Whether I agreed with his opinion or not, I found it refreshing to listen to him.

He'll still be Chairman, however, so maybe we'll still hear fro mhim.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 16, 2003
I was very into Java for a while and a bit Solaris-curious, so I did follow Sun's actions for a while.

Now I'm just content with using Java when I need it and I've been exposed to Solaris without really getting the hang of it, but it's still interesting to see where Sun's headed. They are still a major player in the computer industry even if they're not as influencial as they used to be.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
There's speculation that Google may buy a ton of SPARC servers to run their search engine on, because they handle heat well. That would certainly be a killer deal for Sun and good for bragging rights.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 16, 2003
Indeed. The other day I also noticed that ebay was advertising itself as being powered by Sun and using Java technology. Not that it's surprising that such a large internet presence runs on Sun equipment, but I haven't seen that visible branding of server technology on comparable sites before.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Doctor Q said:
There's speculation that Google may buy a ton of SPARC servers to run their search engine on, because they handle heat well. That would certainly be a killer deal for Sun and good for bragging rights.
Yeah, I really hope they don't fold and will stick around. So many people use Sun and Java, and if they were marketed better, I'm sure more people will appreciate how useful it can all be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.