Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you exchange for a new one?

• Yes

Votes: 54 51.9%
  • No

Votes: 50 48.1%

• Total voters

rayjay86

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
Besides, I suspect I am in the 1% minority that is qualified to comment.

Right, sign me up for that course.

My point about this whole SSD/Display thing is that no one would have noticed the difference if someone on macrumours or endgadget or similar hadn't opened up a MBA and told people there were different components. Now people go nuts that they didn't get a particular SSD/Display combo. *See the posts on here of people buying multiple MBAs to get the combo they like and then return the ones they don't*

Northwestern

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2011
My iMac 24" also has some small scratches after 3 years of use and I had a pixel fault right from the beginning at the center of the display. I only see it, when I have a white screen, but it's just one pixel. And on your pictures I really can't see the scratch. It wouldn't bother me.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
If that ridiculously minor scratch bothers you, I guess you weren't planning on using it in the first place. If, in the future, you were trying to sell it, it would have absolutely no effect on the sale price. Almost any type of daily use, over a very short time, is going to result in some wear.

If the laptop is really for use and not for show, just use it.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
OP: If you've got real sweaty hands prepare for some erosion over the next year or two. My sweat eroded my alu MBP, and the damage is much worse than that scratch.

johnhurley

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
What would you do?

It's above and between the F2 and F3 keys. Of course, there's all the unknowns of whether the next one will have dead pixels, etc but the thought that I know that there is a small scratch there kind of irks me. At first I thought of it like a battle scar or something like that, almost something to take pride in (convincing myself it's no big deal) but it may be ultimately kind of distracting to think about. It has double Samsung by the way, if that matters. My ultimate fear of a new exchanged one are other workmanship problems like this, such as the screen being offset or dead pixels. So what would you do?

I don't see anything ...

Kristine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2005
I had a similar mark on my new MBA when I took it from the box. I grabbed a cotton tip, dipped it into some tea tree oil and gently wiped the mark and it come off.

Constantine1337

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
I myself noticed a dent on my brand new 2010 MBP 15" 2.53GHz (the 2000€ model) right out of the box and kept it (the upper edge of the bottom case was dented). Eventually it bothered me, but apple did not want to repair it. I was not blaming them but I should have returned it day one.

Anyway, in your case I would check for Samsung SSD/Display. If you have both Samsung parts, keep you MBA. If you have Toshiba and are willing to risk it, return it because of the scratch - you might get lucky :)

DieterRams

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
If that ridiculously minor scratch bothers you, I guess you weren't planning on using it in the first place. If, in the future, you were trying to sell it, it would have absolutely no effect on the sale price. Almost any type of daily use, over a very short time, is going to result in some wear.

If the laptop is really for use and not for show, just use it.

I don't think it's a matter of it only being a scratch - it's that it's 1) a brand new machine and 2) this scratch was not caused by the OP. If it was caused by her, it might be one thing but it wasn't. Should OP unnecessarily live with that if it wasn't her fault and it came out of a brand new box that isn't supposed to have *any* scratches at all, minor or not? However, that being said, I have a feeling more and more usage of it will subside some feelings of it being an issue. The fact that it's already "less-than-brand-new" out of the box might have had some shock but since it's not a screen issue, it may be easier to lose track of. I can't imagine how a couple other posters here lived with dead pixels - that's just too distracting. At least for me.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
When I read the title I immediately though it was another OCD MacRumors member, but I thought MAYBE just MAYBE I'm wrong and there was really a large gash... Unfortunately I was proven correct, as I had to scan through the pics to actually find the scratch.

I know you "requested" positive comments only, but you posted on a public forum and I feel threads like this deserve if not beg for negative criticism.

M77

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2010
When I read the title I immediately though it was another OCD MacRumors member, but I thought MAYBE just MAYBE I'm wrong and there was really a large gash... Unfortunately I was proven correct, as I had to scan through the pics to actually find the scratch.

I know you "requested" positive comments only, but you posted on a public forum and I feel threads like this deserve if not beg for negative criticism.

No offense, but there's a difference between constructive criticism/polite discussion and mean spirited attacks/provocative hyperbole. People saying things like "waking up in a cold sweat" over this or claiming OCD (which isn't really funny if you genuinely know someone with it) or "you weren't planning on using it in the first place" are all missing the point. Yeah, I'm sure the poster bought this expensive computer just for show. I don't know where that guy uses his laptop where he expects it to be easily scratched but he should stop. I tend to take care of my things. I don't think I even have a single scratch on my alu Powerbook from 2005, certainly nothing that appears the way it does in these pictures. Not sure how you could've missed it, it's small but it's there.

I find the bit about 'show' to be petty. People buy Macs because they work well and also look great. It's entirely conceivable that someone would treasure the design aesthetic of their computer as much as how well it works. For something you use day in and day out, on the sofa and in bed, a device you work on as well as play on, and share your thoughts and attention with (as I'm doing now online), it's no wonder that such an intimate device would conjure a feeling of wanting to take good care of it. Not to mention something this expensive and well-designed and you open it totally new only to find it blemished without even touching it. Kinda sucks.

To the poster: For me, if someone is bothered by something that shouldn't be there and they paid a lot of money for it, they should be entitled to satisfaction. Who cares how little it is? After all, that's subjective. It's their purchase, their money. And any subjective opinion can be said without being a jerk. There actually seem to be people who have responded who think it's minor and not worth taking back but have not resorted to being one. That's how you should really do it. Ignore the haters, unless they have something actually constructive and non-mean to say.

By the way, I also thought the first reply with "I couldn't see why you couldn't decide this yourself" was hilarious. :p People post all sorts of questions on this forum, whether you like them or not, it's why a forum exists.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
I don't think it's a matter of it only being a scratch - it's that it's 1) a brand new machine and 2) this scratch was not caused by the OP. If it was caused by her, it might be one thing but it wasn't. Should OP unnecessarily live with that if it wasn't her fault and it came out of a brand new box that isn't supposed to have *any* scratches at all, minor or not? However, that being said, I have a feeling more and more usage of it will subside some feelings of it being an issue. The fact that it's already "less-than-brand-new" out of the box might have had some shock but since it's not a screen issue, it may be easier to lose track of. I can't imagine how a couple other posters here lived with dead pixels - that's just too distracting. At least for me.

LOL. "Should the OP unnecessarily live with it....." Oh, the horror!

----------

No offense, but there's a difference between constructive criticism/polite discussion and mean spirited attacks/provocative hyperbole. People saying things like "waking up in a cold sweat" over this or claiming OCD (which isn't really funny if you genuinely know someone with it) or "you weren't planning on using it in the first place" are all missing the point. Yeah, I'm sure the poster bought this expensive computer just for show. I don't know where that guy uses his laptop where he expects it to be easily scratched but he should stop. I tend to take care of my things. I don't think I even have a single scratch on my alu Powerbook from 2005, certainly nothing that appears the way it does in these pictures. Not sure how you could've missed it, it's small but it's there.

I find the bit about 'show' to be petty. People buy Macs because they work well and also look great. It's entirely conceivable that someone would treasure the design aesthetic of their computer as much as how well it works. For something you use day in and day out, on the sofa and in bed, a device you work on as well as play on, and share your thoughts and attention with (as I'm doing now online), it's no wonder that such an intimate device would conjure a feeling of wanting to take good care of it. Not to mention something this expensive and well-designed and you open it totally new only to find it blemished without even touching it. Kinda sucks.

To the poster: For me, if someone is bothered by something that shouldn't be there and they paid a lot of money for it, they should be entitled to satisfaction. Who cares how little it is? After all, that's subjective. It's their purchase, their money. And any subjective opinion can be said without being a jerk. There actually seem to be people who have responded who think it's minor and not worth taking back but have not resorted to being one. That's how you should really do it. Ignore the haters, unless they have something actually constructive and non-mean to say.

By the way, I also thought the first reply with "I couldn't see why you couldn't decide this yourself" was hilarious. :p People post all sorts of questions on this forum, whether you like them or not, it's why a forum exists.

I stand by my comments. I don't know what's more hilarious, the whining about a miniscule scratch, the attempt to defend the whining, or the negative ratings given to mine and others' posts. Too funny...

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
No offense, but there's a difference between constructive criticism/polite discussion and mean spirited attacks/provocative hyperbole.

No offense taken, and I agree, there is a difference, but silly is silly. Posts like this range between silly and utterly ridiculous. This one is on the silly side, then there's the person who returned 6 or 7 MBA's and that was on the ridiculous side.

The fact of the matter is that if you have to post about it to get opinions, it's probably not a big deal. If it was truly a deal breaker you wouldn't need opinions, you'd simply take it back.

I don't apologize for my negativity. The sooner posts like these can be minimized the better off this forum will be IMO and the "I love you, you love me" facade certainly isn't going to do it.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
Alright guys, I'm sorry for making this an issue on this voluntarily-read forum. You didn't have to reply to this thread and not contribute positively and exaggerate how I feel about this ("cold sweat"? who said anything about it being that bad?). As for votes, I just posted this 13 minutes before kemper's post so what do you expect? I kind of feel bad that you've gotten used to defects, minor or not, on your Apple stuff. This is the first time I've noticed an issue from a new MB, I've owned a few before and hadn't ever had a problem, even minor.

Miles, was only curious as to what others thought. It's my decision in the end. It's not that hard to comprehend.

All, please ignore if you can't be a decent forum member.

Edit: Expected some uncivilized replies but I already have a request to exchange put in, may do so later today. Who would have thought that people are all different with different thresholds?

The coolest thing about this being "voluntary" is that you can voluntarily not read replies which you deem to be negative and you can voluntarily not post if you can't handle what other people voluntarily say in your voluntarily posted thread.

Yeah it's a scratch, is it worth the trouble of taking it back? If so, do it. If not, enjoy your new MBA.

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
I seriously do not understand why people are getting so hostile about commenting on the question about the scratch. The forum member is just asking your opinion. If you spend close to $1,000 on a computer and the scratch bothers you, you have the right to take it back or replace it. When you buy something expensive (unless you think $1,000 is nothing) why not expect it to not have scratches?!?

But from experience, you take your chances with other issues occurring if you have Apple's techs replace the housing, so you have to weigh the costs.

I had to return my MBA because of a defect and when I received it back, something else was broken. I took it back 3 times afterwards because something else did not work after receiving it after repairs. They even sent it back to Texas and when it came back they messed something else up again. Apple recognized their fault and eventually replaced the unit completely and I received a new MBA (which was better than I originally had).

Times have changed concerning care and work ethics. When I was a tech may moons ago, I would treat every system "as if it were mine" and make sure it was as perfect as possible when leaving my lab. Apple still has one of the best customer service out in the market, :apple: but the techs (not all of course) sometimes lack the basics, like not using a magnetic screw driver when working inside the system, or touching memory with their hands which can cause static. So again, you take your chances in the return.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
I seriously do not understand why people are getting so hostile about commenting on the question about the scratch. The forum member is just asking your opinion. If you spend close to $1,000 on a computer and the scratch bothers you, you have the right to take it back or replace it. When you buy something expensive (unless you think $1,000 is nothing) why not expect it to not have scratches?!?

And their opinions are that this isn't a big deal and that you will acquire such scratches over time anyway, so why bother with taking it back.

This is the internet. If you expect people to just say please and thank you after every post you've got another thing coming.

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Yes, this is the internet and this is "my" opinion. I expect the Apple community to have more class than Microsoft junkies. If you think that this guy's post is "stupid", than don't comment. For those that want to comment on a post, it is wasting people's time having to go through the comments of insulting the guy to get to real comments to comment on.

Forums like Macrumors are not here to take out aggressions if you had a bad day or something or if one is a social degenerate and has nothing else to do if the Simpsons are not on. It is suppose to be informative. Go to the social networking sites for that stuff. This site is to get info. If you look at the poll, it is close to 50 - 50 on taking it back or not....

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
Yes, this is the internet and this is "my" opinion. I expect the Apple community to have more class than Microsoft junkies. If you think that this guy's post is "stupid", than don't comment. For those that want to comment on a post, it is wasting people's time having to go through the comments of insulting the guy to get to real comments to comment on.

Forums like Macrumors are not here to take out aggressions if you had a bad day or something or if one is a social degenerate and has nothing else to do if the Simpsons are not on. It is suppose to be informative. Go to the social networking sites for that stuff. This site is to get info. If you look at the poll, it is close to 50 - 50 on taking it back or not....

So every post has to be happy, enthusiastic, and positive?

I don't remember reading that in the forum rules. Care to show me where it's at?

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
I expect the Apple community to have more class than Microsoft junkies.

I find that this perception of "apple classiness" is largely self-proclaimed and not recognized by much of the rest of the world.

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
No it doesn't...I do not know why I am still on writing myself at 12:30am. Maybe I should be the one watching the Simpsons right now. :cool:

No, you are right, but come on guys, the post has some weight because if you think about it, Apple's quality has gone down lately, for they "were" known to in the past to have superior quality, almost "perfect" systems. If you really look at the posts, it shows that those that are buying Apple products are not expecting the "perfect" systems as Steve Jobs required when he was at the helm. Maybe a different generation with different requirements when spending hard earned cash.

So, take the MBA back and don't listen to the "stupid" comments of the degenerates. Does that sound better? - not saying "please or thank you". :cool:

----------

"I find that this perception of "apple classiness" is largely self-proclaimed and not recognized by much of the rest of the world."

Like another post said, "This is the internet". We can be self-proclaiming if we desire....:cool:

M77

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2010
LOL. "Should the OP unnecessarily live with it....." Oh, the horror!

:rolleyes: You guys just keep missing the point. Its not that it's just a scratch, it's one the poster never made herself and it's brand spanking new out of the box. That's it. If you wouldn't take it back then vote no and move on. No one said it's any more or less than that. And no, it's not a "horror." The hyperbole continues. You guys just want to rag on someone, bully someone. Just stop, it's really unbecoming.

In addition, regarding the comments about saying what you want on the site; I believe this is also missing the point. Yes, we can all say whatever but isn't a decent forum/community better than that? Criticism doesn't automatically mean being a jerk. And you don't have to be all nicey-nice either but a bit of forethought and appreciation of whether you'd like to be spoken that way should be considered. Anyway, I'm off. I guess I'll just go key your car. I mean, it was bound to be scratched anyway. :D

robby818

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2007
If you are going to take the trouble of posting this question on a forum, then the scratch bothers you enough that you should exchange the computer for another one. Simple as that.

Apple doesn't really care, it will get sold as a refurb to someone who will probably be happy with it. No harm to anyone.

The cases are machined so there are bound to be subtle inconsistencies in the finish. I find it remarkable that the cases are as uniform as they are.

I am also kind of OCD, but for me it's dead or stuck pixels. I can't stand them and if I see one, that's it. I focus on it and can't forget about it. I tell myself it's just part of the manufacturing process, but it never helps. Apple and Amazon have always been good about exchanges. Again, it prob gets sold as a refurb to someone who doesn't care.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
:rolleyes: You guys just keep missing the point. Its not that it's just a scratch, it's one the poster never made herself and it's brand spanking new out of the box. That's it. If you wouldn't take it back then vote no and move on. No one said it's any more or less than that. And no, it's not a "horror." The hyperbole continues. You guys just want to rag on someone, bully someone. Just stop, it's really unbecoming.
Pot, meet kettle.
In addition, regarding the comments about saying what you want on the site; I believe this is also missing the point. Yes, we can all say whatever but isn't a decent forum/community better than that? Criticism doesn't automatically mean being a jerk. And you don't have to be all nicey-nice either but a bit of forethought and appreciation of whether you'd like to be spoken that way should be considered. Anyway, I'm off. I guess I'll just go key your car. I mean, it was bound to be scratched anyway. :D
I'd be pissed if someone keyed my car. BUT if there was a minuscule scratch from the factory, I wouldn't give a s***.

Alandraftsjuly

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2010
I could barely see the scratch from your photos, but being a bit anal myself, I know that justified or not, I'd be staring at that thing every time I used the computer. You paid a lot for the computer. It shouldn't come scratched. Exchange it and move on. That said, I was so obsessed with keeping my Rev A MBA spanking new that I even kept the little paper sheet they use to protect the screen from keyboard impressions. Dropped and dinged my MBA about six weeks later. Dropped and scratched it about two months after that. Dropped it more after that. Dinged it a few more times. To cut to the chase: Three-plus years later, it looks used, and works great (I've often wondered how many pristine Rev A's are still ticking). I sort of like the dings and scratches now, gives it a bit of 'authenticity.' A year from now you'll probably wonder why you even spent time debating this, but sure, if it's gonna bother you now, get another one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.