Scratch on new MacBook Air Screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jadAce, Sep 6, 2013.

1. jadAce, Sep 6, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013

macrumors regular

jadAce

Hello everyone,

Bought a new MacBook Air (Haswell), and have been using it for the past week or so. It stays on the desk, and no accessories are used. I opened it up today, however, and noticed a ~1cm long "scratch" on the screen, along with a few other small "specks", all of which are non-removable. They are not really visible when I am looking at the MBA straight on, but are kind of white/silver colored when I look at the screen from the side.

My question is, has anyone had this problem? The MBA is still within return time; should I return this and get a new one? I realize this may be a small issue to obsess over, but I just wanted to make sure I am not doing anything wrong (having just switched to Macs).

Also, if I choose to keep it, are scratches on the screen kind of inevitable? Would something like iKlear keep the screen to an acceptable quality?

2. macrumors 6502a

If the scratches bother you return it. My MBA is 2.5 months old with no scratches on the screen. To prevent scratches and to clean my screen also, I use a cover for the keyboard from RADTECH. Like it a lot!

3. thread starter macrumors regular

jadAce

Thanks DesignerOnMac!

Just before I seriously decided to return it, I decided to pull out an iKlear microfiber cloth and try using it. The screen now looks as clean/good as when I first opened the MacBook Air after taking it out of the box. No scratches or other marks on the screen now. Works very nicely.

4. macrumors 6502

Well there you go. Maybe you didn't have permanent scratches in the first place. After owning an MBA for 3 years no scratches. Only clean it with those soft cloth type.

5. macrumors 601

And at first you pronounced them un-removable?

Depending how precisely your Air is made, there maybe an air gap/not between screen and keyboard. IF touching, expect keyboard's dirt to stick to screen and you on a regular cleaning task. Don't over do, u wear out the screen! ;)

6. thread starter macrumors regular

jadAce

You see, I tried using another microfiber cloth quite a few times, but they weren't coming off - that's why I called them un-removable. Also, they were discoloring the screen in a strange way, so I thought they would be permanent.

Afterwords, it took some "rubbing" from the iKlear microfiber cloth (with a little additional pressure), and they came off gradually.

I'll definitely clean it regularly from this point onwards!

7. AXs
    macrumors 6502a

AXs

I personally wouldn't keep something that came with a scratched screen out of the box.
    I paid $1,500 for a laptop - I made sure everything was fine before I settled on it. Including having a Samsung SSD and Samsung Screen.

Each to his own, but when I buy something I want - I want it to be exactly what I want. Lucky I got a near-perfect enough system off the bat.

8. macrumors 6502a

How does one know if they got a Samsung screen? Edit: Nevermind. Found it elsewhere on MR. Turns out, I have a Samsung screen too.

9. macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

Only because its an Apple. :rolleyes::cool:

10. AXs
    macrumors 6502a

AXs

Doesn't matter what premium brand it is - LV, Rolex, Mercedes...Apple isn't even one of the top premium brands of the world.

Now, if I'm buying a functional product, it's a different story.

11. macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

Not sure what you mean by the last sentence there, but all I meant to say is that Apple computers are the only ones people go to extreme lengths for "perfect" machines, even compared to a similarly priced (or more expensive in many cases) Sony/IBM/etc.

12. AXs
    macrumors 6502a

AXs

I agree.
    By the way here's a good definition of functional product which is really simplified:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Difference_between_functional_and_innovative_products

Apple is slowly moving down in scale between the innovative|functional balance, whereas the others - Sony etc are moving up. I think that's why Apple is valued more - collective goodwill over years of establishment.

13. macrumors regular

Angry with Apple Customer Service

I own a 2013 11' Air and spent 1700$+ to buy it off and it has a 2.5 cm scratch on its screen and Apple Genius Bar declined it on my face to cover it under warranty and give me a free $400 screen replacement under my 1 year Apple Warranty....this is very disgusting as just like you all, i have been spending crazy amount of $ on all apple devices (i own'em all every year).

They just declared this scratch as a customer accident and not something that Apple caused in the 1st place !

What are my last options?