Scratch prone nano's?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by mrgreen4242, Oct 5, 2005.

1. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I've had my nano for just a couple days now, but from the way people were talking it sounded like breathin on the thing would have scratched it. Now, I have a skin on the front and back of the iPod protecting the large flat surfaces, and while it is kinda ugly (see my Decalgirl.com skin initial impressions post if you like, and be on the look out for a better review from me after a few more days of use) it does seem to be working.

However, this skin leaves the sides, top, and bottom of the iPod open, and while it's not a large area, it is the same material as the rest of the nano and is significantly wide enough to see finger prints, etc. on it.

However, after putting the nano in my pants pocket (very lints, filled with debris, no keys though), shirt pocket (kinda linty, but mostly soft and clean), in the space under my in-dash car car head unit (very dirty, lots of little sandy dirst particles), on the "lip" at the top of my work keyboard (I have one of those huge old keybaords with lots of key movement and resistance - I love it!) which is ancient and filthy...

Not a single scuff or scratch on the unprotected sides of the nano. So, all the people who have had lots of scratching on their nanos, do you have the same amount of damage to the sides of the iPod as the front/back?

If not, then it just must be the way the nan ois designed that it doesn't get damage to the sides. If yes, then either I have a particularly robust nano, or they have particularly fragile one, or you are really abusing the hell out of it. Other than using a $6 skin I haven't been careful with mine at all.

As for the screen, I read the reports of fragile ones and being able to make the plastic coating 'touch' the lcd with a littel pressure. I'm glad Apple acknowledged this as a flaw... I pressed my a little and there is no movement or distortion on the LCD. I got a little bolder and tested it some more; This thing feels indestructable!

Anywho, just my observation. In my case, I deem this to be yet another excellent Apple product.

2. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

Some seem to be more suscepible than others. It seems to attract minor scratches fairly easily, but I think many conside this as as bad as major scratches. While I understand that some have had more problems with this than others, take a look at any other personal audio devide you have owned in the past, (cassette/cd walkman for example), and I can guarantee you those same minor scratches appeared fairly quickly, they just bothered you less.

3. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

4. Nano-Nano macrumors newbie

This site is really useful...

http://todd.dailey.info/archives/20...nano-to-new-condition-with-a-4-can-of-brasso/

My black Nano got pretty scratch pretty quick. I knew these Nanos were susceptible to scratching so wanted to get a case for it right from the kick-off, but you just can't get 'em in the shops! And I didn't want a week for the case to arrive that I ordered from ebay :rolleyes: , so I did my best to keep my Nano in my pocket with no cash or keys, but it still got pretty scratched up. So - when I got my case through I followed this guy's technique and was amazed! My iPod Nano literally looked brand new, and now I have a case I can keep it that way! Happy days!

5. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

Nah, if you want to clean it, run it under the tap and use soap. That'll get the iPod sparkling again. :D

6. Norouzi macrumors 6502

As far as I know the Nano is made of the same material as the standard iPod. Now if you do a search of the forums for iPod Scratch you'll probabily find a ton of posts. My advice try to get over it. iPod's scratch, iBooks scratch, cars scratch, pretty much anything that can scratch will scratch.

Me I babyed my iPod when I first got it. I wouldn't even take it out of the package until I had a skin for it. Now almost a year later, I've ditched the skin because it took away from the look and the screen protector made it harder to see. I now have no problem just throwing it in my pocket.

(just as a side note, I'm still babying my iBook, just not as much :p )

7. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

Exactly, you become less bothered by tiny scratches, (or the risk of getting them), as time goes on. It's those big boys, (like on my 60Gb at the moment), that can really annoy you.

8. the_freddinator macrumors regular

I'd like to see a nano commercial w/ the nano in a ziploc...But that's just me.