scratched or cracked?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by pottebaum, Feb 3, 2007.

1. pottebaum macrumors member

Hey,

I noticed what appears to be a thin (hairline) scratch on my iBook's screen, but I'm not sure whether it's simply a scratch I'll be able to deal with or a crack that's going to end up damaging the rest of the screen.

When I hold the computer up against the light when it's off, the scratch appears to be a few inches long--yet when I have the computer on only 1/4 it shows up.

It distorts the colors behind it. It's not really noticeable when against dark colors, but when against white, it has kind of a purple'ish, blue tint.

What do you think? I bought the computer used, so if it's something that's going to do any harm or worsen over time, I'm probably going to have it replaced (there's a 30 day warranty).

2. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Photo?

Sounds like a crack to me, no promises.

3. pottebaum thread starter macrumors member

I can't really put any photos up at the moment. My camera's usb cord was left at a relatives house and my phone camera isn't nearly good enough for the scratch/crack to show up.

What makes you think it's a crack?

4. mick4394 macrumors 6502a

mick4394

The purplish blue tint.

5. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

That's right. In my experience, scratches distort or blur the image, while cracks mess with colours etc. I got for the 30 day warranty thing.

6. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

If it were me, and it had a 30-day warranty, then I'd take it in now and see about having it fixed or replaced. No point in trying to guess at what it might be. If it's got a warranty, use that to make the question go away.

7. pottebaum thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I'm definitely going to get it replaced. Isn't there a pretty good possibility that this (if it is a crack) could worsen and spread?

I'm pretty positive that I didn't do anything that would have caused it to crack or scratch; I've been incredibly careful...yet I think I would've noticed it when I first opened it up (or maybe not, who knows?). Perhaps something happened when it was being delivered and it has just worsened since then.

Nonetheless, I'll figure it out.

Thanks for your help, guys.