Scratches on macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Khurram, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Khurram macrumors 6502

So I just got my macbook about 5 days ago, and i'm one to look after my electronics very very carefully...today I was looking at the palm rest area under the light of my desk lamp and saw that there were tons of small scratches or marks all over it...

granted you can only see them when you look under a light but they are all over...is this common with the macbook material? It seems as though the lightest touch of a fingernail will ellicit a white mark/scratch..

anyway to get rid of them...since it seems like there will be many many more to come...the trackpad is fine, but the click button has the same scratches all over it...(since it appears to be the same material as the palm rest area...
    does apple replace this material with something different?

2. joebells macrumors 6502

not necessarily right there but it is scratch prone, easily scratch prone

3. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

Plastic is easy to get scratched. Certain angles of Lighting will also pronounce certain hairline scratches more noticeably. It is like a clear coat on your new car; it is very easy to get hairline scratches. As you put your MB in the bag or touching it, its exterior will get scratched so slightly (which can be noticed under some lighting conditions).

4. vega07 macrumors 65816

I'm guessing you're using your watch while on your macbook.

buy some protective material like the invisibleshield.

5. Khurram thread starter macrumors 6502

come to think of it, yes, theer are a lot of tiny sractches right where my watch hits it...

6. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

you would think apple would start using some high quality plastics by now (think ipods).

Ipods are RIDICULOUSLY easy to scratch. Not even in the same league of "unscratchability" as other products. Lucky theyre damn good.

7. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

9. PDE macrumors 68020

It's completely ridiculous how easy the macbook scratches. I baby my computers and still, within a day or two, the top of the macbook had quite a few small scratches. When I used a microcloth to clean it after a week, that too left lots of small scratches!

the good thing is that they're not easy to see. I just think it's crazy that Apple would not be able to use materials that other laptop manufacturers use. there are same very scratch resistant materials out there and others use it, why can't apple? How difficult can it be? And....is it really in the company's interest to piss customers off by selling them beautiful item that look awful after a few months use?

10. generik macrumors 601

generik

11. scott523 macrumors 6502a

I think this metal polisher would make things worse than better. :(