scratches on pbook

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Ipaqman, Nov 27, 2003.

1. Ipaqman macrumors 6502

hey,

what is the best way to get rid of scratches on the al. powerbook?

thanks for any help.
    Ipaqman

2. Ipaqman thread starter macrumors 6502

could someone please respond to my question. that would be very helpfull.
    thanks,
    ipaqman

3. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I don't think its possible. The metal itself is damaged. It's not painted, so you can't just "buff it out".

4. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

I'm sure if someone has the answer they will respond. Be cool. :cool:

5. Ipaqman thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for your help.
    what is the best thing to use to buff out the scratches?
    By the way..... the new 12inch powerbook rocks.
    ipaqman

6. MyPB&Me macrumors newbie

I don't think anyone knows, because its pretty tough to scratch one to begin with. I have a 15" and have a few friends with the 17" and have never seen a scratch on any of them. What are you doing with this thing?

7. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

As I said earlier, I do not think you can buff out scratches. The aluminum itself has been damaged. There really is nothing you can do.

That said, if you're deadset on exhausting all possibilities, go to an auto-body shop. Since they deal with damaged metal a lot, perhaps they have some "wonder" technique that could help. But I really don't think there's anything that is going to help you out.

8. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

How bad are the scratches? It'll cost A LOT of money to do anything about it and they don't actually have an impact on the performance/usability of the computer, other than damage your perception of it being perfect.

How have you scratched it? They seem to be VERY scratch-resistant. Mine has nothing on whatsoever in 8 weeks and it's been carted to the moon and back.

9. Ipaqman thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for your help. i'll live with it. it is very very minor. i take great care of it.
    thanks for your help,
    ipaqman

10. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

You could try Brasso, available in home-improvement and discount stores, in the cleaning section. It's a metal polish. it's actually a very light abrasive that might help mask scratches. however, if the aluminium is coated with something (i do not know), this could cause some discoloration. even if it doesn't, it takes many many repeat applications to show any results.

you might look into jewelers paste, which can be used to polish glass, metal, stone. same thing as above, but much stronger...

pnw

11. Zeke macrumors 6502

I'm not going to swear by this but if it's really annoying it may be worth a try. In machining, to get rid of blemishes in aluminum, you take a piece of scotch brite and lightly rub the surface. If you look at the PBook and look at the direction the marks in the metal are going and brush in that direction it should take the scratches out. There are different grades of scotch brite (course to fine) so you want to test it out on a piece of aluminum to make sure the brushed look when you're done will match the original. Again, no guarantees as I haven't tested this out.

12. herrmill macrumors member

Jacksonville, FL, Shanghai, China & NW 11/12
    Ai Powerbook Finish

If you really want to protect your new PB, I highly recommend one of Acme's iCovers. Got it to protect my screen while closed & find it does an excellent job on the upper surface as well when not in use.

http://www.acmemade.com/powerbook.html

I saw one poor guy while passing thru airport security who had a dented 12" PB. He had dropped a can of soda on top of his book when it was closed on his desk. I was suprised it still worked after seeing that damage!

13. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    there's also a metal polish rub that you can get at auto parts stores, i've used it on my alloy rims, and it works really good, and doesn't leave too many scratches, but you might want to use anyting on a test piece or some small corner where you dont mind it being discolored... but i'd just leave it alone and get a protective cover of your choice.