iPad mini Scratching on Black iPad Mini

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iPhoneApple, Dec 27, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

I am considering not using a case to protect the back of my black iPad Mini and wanted to know if the back scratches easily. Anyone have some pics of how their black iPad Mini is holding up so far with no protection?

2. macrumors regular

Not sure if they make Ghost Armor for the mini, but if they do GET IT and you won't need to worry about scratches!!!

3. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

With use, things scratch. If you're worried then you should use a case.

4. macrumors 68020

brad.c

I got my black/graphite mini on release day, and used it unprotected until this Tuesday when I got the Otterbox Defender. I didn't baby it, except to make sure the kids were careful when they used it. So it has been slid on the table, carried in the pocket, stacked on and under things, dropped from modest heights (~2 ft)-- no scratches!

It's buttoned up tight in its case now, so no pictures of non-existent scratches, either. Curious: I bought the case to protect it from drops, and while I was somewhat disappointed at how much heftier it feels, the case affords better grip for holding and carrying. Why are you going caseless?

EDIT: Jessica is right, it WILL scratch. My experience, like any other, is anecdotal on its own merit. I just wanted to offer a counterpoint to excessively negative comments read elsewhere.

5. macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

They do make GA for the Mini. I was torn between GA and iCarbons, but ended up going the iCarbons route since I liked the corners more than GA's.

6. thread starter macrumors 6502

I know it will scratch, I just wanted to know how bad.
    I am considering just using an Apple Smart Cover. I like how thin and light the Mini is and cases make it so thick.

7. macrumors 65816

I'm semi concerned about scratching but I just lap it over the apple Smart Cover to protect the back of the mini. I'd rather have the Smart Cover all bear up then the body itself. Using bulky cases kinda defeats why I like my apple products aesthetic qualities.

8. thread starter macrumors 6502

How easy are these to apply?

9. macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
  10. macrumors 68030

tymaster50

I hate using cases on my apple products. I will only use a case if I absolutely have to or it looks pretty stylish. Like if I'm in an environment like new york I will use a case but if I'm home or gonna be in the car most of the day I leave it caseless. No need to use a case if there's nothing around to damage it.

11. macrumors 65816

I use a leather back skin from sticker boy (got the easy extreme fit, which is high quality and covers everything on the back, but even the 'easy' extreme fit is very difficult to get the corners perfect (I've got them mostly good, but not perfect)...I'd probably recommend their regular back.)

The skin itself and the apple insert are excellent quality. I got the black leather with a silver leather apple logo, which looks awesome together and feels great. That + the smart cover equals a minimal solution that won't scratch the back and protects the screen without adding any bulk.

12. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

They do, there's a ghost armor kiosk near my local apple store and took the plunge to avoid any scratches.

13. macrumors 68030

tymaster50

you didn't get the colored ghost armor right??? Right?? Because it looks terrible. iCarbon is way better.

14. macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

I haven't received mine yet, but between their install video and others here on MacRumors, they are very easy to apply. Since it's all one piece and it's sturdy, there shouldn't be any bubbles at all.

Will you post some pics of it?