Screen brightness controls don't work...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by absurdio, May 25, 2005.

1. absurdio macrumors 6502

So, I upgraded to Tiger. Everything works just swell... except that, inexplicably, my screen brightness buttons (F1 and F2) no longer have any effect. I can't begin to understand this. Anyone else have this problem? Any idea what's going on? The rest of my keyboard behaves exactly as it ought to... it seems to be just those two keys. Thanks
    -nicky

2. pdpardue macrumors regular

fn key

I would assume that you are using either a ibook or powerbook, both of which have a fn (function) button as function buttons (ie. f1, f2... f12). There is a an area in system prefs under keyboard and mouse that allows to to select if the f buttons are used as function buttons or to control the various other stuff (such as brightness volume and eject).

Hope that helps somewhat.

3. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

I second that. I have a 12"PB connected to a 20" and actually by mistake 3 days ago I realized my f14 and f15 controls the brighnest and contrast too. I am sure I seted it up a long time ago and forgot about it.

Nice machines :D

4. absurdio thread starter macrumors 6502

No such luck.

It shouldn't be fn(F1), because the brightness keys are just like the sound ones (F3, F4, F5) for which you don't have to press fn.

And it doesn't seem like it's anything in the system preferences, either. i don't know. odd problem.

5. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

Are you sure it doesnt have anything to do with the fn key. I remember the default for my pb was to have the fn key to change brightness and volume, so that expose could be easily used without having to use the fn.

6. pdpardue macrumors regular

What about the volume and expose buttons, do they still work as normal? If you can press the volume and expose buttons with out pressing the fn key and they work as normal, but your brightness doesn't do anything... well then I don't know what to say. I've never had this problem, I have my settings so that I just press the button and it works, and if I need to use the function keys I hold down the fn button first. But if some of your buttons are working and some aren't, then that seems to be a bigger issue.