Screen Brightness not working! Emergency!!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by lisam, Sep 21, 2005.

1. macrumors newbie

Sep 18, 2005
    I have just restarted my computer and now the screen brightness is very low - I'm struggling to see what I'm typing here!
    This happened before but all I had to do was go into Displays and change the slider. Unfortuntaley it's missing this time and the F1 & F2 keys are doing nothing!
    Help! I'm using a Powerbook G4 15" Titanium, Tiger OS, etc. etc.
    It's crucial that I fix this problem, I film underwater and edit on my laptop - it's my job and I need my screen!

2. macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Have you set the 'use fn to use function keys' button?

Try holding fn down while you press f1/2 to alter it. It may be the case that the backlight has gone - if you move the screen slightly from the vertical, does that help?
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 18, 2005
    Ok, that's waayyy beyond my scope - can you tell me exactly how to do that please?
  4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 18, 2005

oops, i see what you mean, the FN button at the bottom of my keyboard - yep, tried that...still nothing. This is so weird. The last thing I installed was the iTunes update - that wouldn't mess with my display. I can't work out why in System Preferences, all I have under displays is: 1280 x 854 - nothing else. There used to be a number of options. There isn't even the brightness slider?? Nothing happens when i click "detect displays" either.
  5. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
  6. thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 18, 2005
    Thanks for the suggestions, tried them both and it didn't change anything - didn't even reset my clock like it said it would!
    What can I do, this has got me in a bit of a panic - I leave on assignment tomorrow!

7. macrumors newbie

Jul 17, 2002
    Carlisle, MA
    I have an iBook with the same problem.
    Loss of screen brightness control is a known problem on *books
    see here
    The last entry talks of Apple being aware of the problem and is working on resolution. :(
  8. thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 18, 2005
    Sorry about double post...I wasn't sure if I had posted in the right place and was worried I wouldn't receive a response.
    Just so everyone knows I found some great advice here:
    I was eventually able to fix it by doing another PRAM. Apparently it's a common problem with Tiger and Apple is aware of it.