Screen Brightness not working! Emergency!!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by lisam, Sep 21, 2005.

1. macrumors newbie

I have just restarted my computer and now the screen brightness is very low - I'm struggling to see what I'm typing here!
    This happened before but all I had to do was go into Displays and change the slider. Unfortuntaley it's missing this time and the F1 & F2 keys are doing nothing!
    Help! I'm using a Powerbook G4 15" Titanium, Tiger OS, etc. etc.
    It's crucial that I fix this problem, I film underwater and edit on my laptop - it's my job and I need my screen!

Lisa

2. macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Have you set the 'use fn to use function keys' button?

Try holding fn down while you press f1/2 to alter it. It may be the case that the backlight has gone - if you move the screen slightly from the vertical, does that help?

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, that's waayyy beyond my scope - can you tell me exactly how to do that please?

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

oops, i see what you mean, the FN button at the bottom of my keyboard - yep, tried that...still nothing. This is so weird. The last thing I installed was the iTunes update - that wouldn't mess with my display. I can't work out why in System Preferences, all I have under displays is: 1280 x 854 - nothing else. There used to be a number of options. There isn't even the brightness slider?? Nothing happens when i click "detect displays" either.

5. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestions, tried them both and it didn't change anything - didn't even reset my clock like it said it would!
    What can I do, this has got me in a bit of a panic - I leave on assignment tomorrow!

:confused:

7. macrumors newbie

I have an iBook with the same problem.
    Loss of screen brightness control is a known problem on *books
    see here
    The last entry talks of Apple being aware of the problem and is working on resolution. :(

8. thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry about double post...I wasn't sure if I had posted in the right place and was worried I wouldn't receive a response.
    Just so everyone knows I found some great advice here: http://scrap.dasgenie.com/articles/...-no-more-brightness-control-on-tibook-800-mhz
    I was eventually able to fix it by doing another PRAM. Apparently it's a common problem with Tiger and Apple is aware of it.