screen brightness

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by skd, Mar 1, 2007.

1. skd macrumors 6502

My 17" MBP is now a year old and it seems to me the screen brightness is not as good as it was a year ago. I've adjusted the settings....does anybody have any experience with the screen losing brightness?

2. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

The backlight in an LCD has a half life and does decrease in brightness over time. But unless the screen on your computer has been on for 24/7 in the past year, its unlikely that you'd be able to notice it. Its possible that there is a more serious problem is the brightness is severely diminished.

3. skd thread starter macrumors 6502

brightness

at work I use a dual monitor set up - about two weeks ago I noticed that the MBP seemed to not as bright as my other monitor. And it seems that they use to be about the same. What do you mean by "more serious problem"? Can I take it to a apple store to be evaluated?
    thanks

4. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

Well, if the display is seriously dim, that could be the sign of a dying backlight, inverter board, or both. But if that were the case the screen would be very dark.

5. fab5freddy macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

ok, i have the same problem with my Macbook Pro 15 inch 1.83, that
    is 10 months old.
    The screen brightness is not as good as 10 months ago.
    It actually sucks now...

I wonder if it is under the 12 month warranty ??

6. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

not wanting to sound rude, but could it just be that you have looked at a c2d mbp (which are marginally brighter), and your mbp just "seems" darker?

7. skd thread starter macrumors 6502

calibrate

Is there a way to calibrate or evaluate your screen to see if the brigthness or clarity of the screen has been diminished?