Screen Cleaning

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Xtreambar, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Xtreambar macrumors regular

I've been very good about not touching my (white) MacBook's screen and stopping anyone who tries to get too close. Still, dust and little specs of stuff are accumulating all over the screen. What do I use to clean/wipe the screen? My girlfriend's mother almost cleaned it with a tee-shirt! AHHH!!! *shakes head* Suggestions?

I know I should not use regular cloth and I know I should not use Windex.

2. skipsandwichdx macrumors regular

iKlear or diluted window cleaner with a lint-free (microfiber) cloth.. a clean t-shirt isn't a terrible idea. If it's just dust, though, why not use compressed air?

3. tvguru macrumors 6502

Since diluted window cleaner was just suggested. I would like to point out that you don't want to use anything that's ammonia based (think that's it) like windex. I'm not exactly sure, but when I tinted my truck, that was one thing they told me not to use on the tint and I would think that it's made of stronger stuff then what the screen is made of.

4. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

No! No fackin' way on a glossy screen! Don't try to use iClean. You'll completely ruin the display (source is AMacGenius here at MR).

I use one of my fathers gless cleaning cloths (clean) to wipe off dust and fingeprints. Guys are allright, but every girl has to poke the screen. Every time they see a picture: "aww, that's so cute *poke-poke*!":mad:

:p

5. MoonCow macrumors member

i just use a bit of glass cleaner on a face cloth, is that allright?

6. keithbennis macrumors regular

keithbennis

Oh, I didn't know it was glossy.

7. mdickson macrumors regular

It's a MacBook.

8. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

Not everyone stones apple.com 13 hrs a day:D

9. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

use a soft cloth and a little water. from Apple's website:

Cleaning Your MacBook Display
    Follow these general rules when cleaning the screen.
    Shut down your MacBook, detach the power adapter, and remove the battery.
    Dampen a clean, soft, lint-free cloth or paper with water only and wipe the screen. Do not spray liquid directly on the screen.

10. rglatter macrumors regular

iklear. It is a little pricy but it does the best job imo. You can get it at the apple store, apples website(i think) and on amazon. It comes with a nice cloth too.

11. sperkins macrumors newbie

cleaning MacBook screen

Try a little Purell alcohol based sanitizer on a kleenex (non-lotion variety) and then rub screen gently to "buff" it with a clean t-shirt. This gets off the fingerprints and makes the screen like new. You can use this on the body of the computer as well. :eek:

12. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

I use a clean microfiber cloth dabbed with a tiny bit of water on the cloth (we're talking drops here). Then gently wipe in circular fashion, turn cloth over to dry side and wipe some more.

13. Ann P macrumors 68020

I use disposable eyeglass wipes. Works like a charm. :)

14. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

1. Microfiber cloth
    2. iKlear or a little bit of just plain water.

If you buy iKlear you'll pay about 20 bucks for a big bottle, but you'll get everything you need and the bottle will last you a LONG time. You DON'T need to overuse iKlear.

15. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Not everyone knows what type of screen a MacBook has, just because they have another Mac model. Never having owned a "portable", I'm in that crowd too. Saying that it's "glossy" doesn't help me much either. More specific terms and details are better than lingo and assumptions. That's true for people new to computers that might be reading this as well.

Depends. What type of screen?

Again, depends on the type of monitor. For some, diluted window cleaner is not a good idea, and the same for compressed air.

If anyone has a link to sort of a tutorial on the types of screens and how to maintain them, that would be a big help to all.