Screen filled up with DOS-like text

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Nermal, Nov 28, 2003.

1. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

First of all, sorry for the PC-ism :rolleyes:

Anyway, I was installing XP into Virtual PC, when all of the sudden the whole system (Mac) crashed, with strange text on the screen:

Unresolved kernel trap(cpu 0): 0x700 - Program DAR=0x00000000002EFFF0 PC=000000000008AAC0

This was repeated over and over, with different numbers. I'm running 10.3.1. Anyone seen anything like this before?

2. Johnboy macrumors newbie

I think that would be a kernel panic. I think it is kinda like the blue screen of death.

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

yep, that's the infamous kernel panic. loads of fun. 90% of the time, they now bring up a gray screen with reboot instructions in like 5 languages... but once in a while a specific kernel panic won't display that, just the old-fashioned text...

pnw

4. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yeah, I've seen the grey screen (which I think is now black in Panther), and I know that it's a kernel panic, but this is the first time I've seen it as text. It gave me a bit of a fright!

5. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

for some reason, XP on VPC can cause serious kernel panicking... set the clock 30 days forward to the time you have to register XP, for example, and it'll KP.

6. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yeah, I'd never use XP under VPC for anything serious. I was just testing to see whether my Dell-supplied XP would work on a non-Dell system.

7. Kurt Cobain macrumors member

actually i had my xp installed on the vpc and it was going just smooth (yet slow) on my machine imac g3 500mhz 768ram.

however i know that freaky bug of text poping out of the GUI leaving it dead and erased as you type on top of it. Happend to me when my memory stick went bad, prolly cause of extra heat and long use.

8. jap4n macrumors member

oh ok.. ive had that happen before when running Eudora mail on 10.1.5

i thought i was in some sort of matrix or something...

feulf!