Screen flickers...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by knowledg333, Nov 23, 2006.

1. knowledg333 macrumors member

Hey,

I was wondering if the MBP screen should flicker slightly under normal operation. Has anyone else experienced this?

2. wildmac macrumors 65816

Are you seeing it under different lighting conditions?... make sure it's not visual-interference with flourescent lights around you....

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

4. knowledg333 thread starter macrumors member

I am in my office downstairs, and the only lighting is flourescent. the lights are not flickering. I'm assuming visual-interference would be if the flourescents were flickering...is that correct?

Matte.

5. wildmac macrumors 65816

ALL flourescents do flicker. You just don't see it with your eyes. But they do flicker at different rates. Also if you have a bad ballast it will show up more.

Check it under incadescent and see if it goes away.

Or, check to see if the MB can be set to a different frequency in the display settings.

Your flicker problem may just be the MB in-sync or out-of-sync with the flourescent lighting....

6. knowledg333 thread starter macrumors member

I'm a new user, and I could not find a setting of the sync of the monitor. I wouldn't know where to look, but I did check in the system preferences in Displays.

7. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I've noticed that windows of a couple Rosetta applications (Dreamweaver, most notably) can display flickering behavior under certain conditions. But this is a Rosetta issue, and has nothing to do with the Macbook Pro display.

Note: I'd posted this same response in another thread that asked this same question a week or two ago...

8. wildmac macrumors 65816

I'll have to check my MB tonight and see what the options are... time to go get annoyed with relatives and eat some turkey now... ;)

9. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

oh please dont bring the screen finish battle here. pretty please. :) Flickering is not caused by a fixed finish on a screen..gloss or matte. And it is already known that both glossy and matte screens use the same LCD. Thank you.

10. rockandroll556 macrumors member

i have this issue too... and Im sure its not the lighting (for me at least). Ive seen it happening outdoors, indoors, etc. It almost always occurs after the screen goes a couple shades darker (for the power saver)... the screen flickers between going darker than this, and back to it multiple times before settling in. Its a really annoying issue (it happens during normal usage too)--luckily, my MBP was declared DOA and Im sending it in after this weekend (couldnt go without a laptop this weekend). Between this, the "graininess", and uneven brightness, this screen is an absolute peice of crap. I have the glossy screen by the way.

EDIT: BTW, Im sure this isnt a Rosetta issue... it just happened to me, and i only have safari open. Plus, the entire screen flickers--not just the program

11. sycho macrumors 6502a

sycho

I have noticed that on the very lowest brightness setting that the back-light is still on, that it will flicker, but only on that, no other settings.