Screen Freezing and Fuzzy

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ScotRobson, Jul 19, 2005.

1. ScotRobson macrumors 6502

Hi all

Yesterday my screen started freezing on my iMac G5 Rev 1 - I have had it since they came out and have had no problems with it at all until yesterday. For no apparent reason my screen keeps freezing - it almost jumps slightly to the left, so there looks like an overlap of everything on the screen, then it goes fuzzy and freezes. It is happening about every 5 seconds - freezes for a second then is ok again.

The screen shot i am going to attatch is what just happened and it is a GOOD picture, it has been a lot worse.

Yesterday I also had a black box with white writing pop up in the middle of the screen telling me I had to restart. Is that a kernal panic?

Anyone have any ideas what could be wrong with my iMac, should I just ring Apple straight away or are there things I can try to fix it. I have Zapped the Pram and tried to run fsck but nothing would type at all, thought it may have been because of my wireless keyboard but then i put a USB board in and it still would not type

Many thanks for your help in advance.

kind regards
    Scot

Attached Files:

2. allegrocm macrumors member

I had that...

I had a very similar problem on my rev a iMac G5. It got worse and worse, and eventually the computer wouldn't even start up properly. It would boot just fine in firewire mode, though the graphics would be scrambled. I decided it was probably my logic board. I took it to the Apple store, and they verified the computer wasn't working, and I took it to a local Apple dealer and they fixed it under warranty.

Well...actually, first Apple sent me a new logic board, and I swapped it out, but that one had a big hole in it, so I took it to the local dealer. Whole process, from them sending out my first logic board to me getting my computer back with its second replacement board was only about four days, quite impressive.

Ken

3. ScotRobson thread starter macrumors 6502

Many thanks, calling them now - hope it doesn't take too long.

Scot