Screen goes black randomly?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Eli727, Jan 23, 2013.

1. macrumors member

Hello,

So my MBA is going on about year old this March-

On occasion while working, the screen will just go black. I then press the power key and it comes right back to life.

Any ideas????

2. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Have you checked your Energy Saver settings, to make sure you don't have the display set to sleep after a period of time?

Caffeine will temporarily override your energy saver settings and keep your Mac awake with a click on the Menu Bar icon. Another click turns it off.

Also make sure you don't have a hot corner set to sleep the display.

3. macrumors regular

Does your case, bag, or anything you keep around the Mac have a magnet? Sleep is initiated by a magnet in the lid, so other magnets will mess with it too.

4. macrumors 6502

Probably a longshot, but I use the "hot corner" settings, where the screen turns off when moving the mouse pointer to a specific corner (to save battery if I know I won't need the screen for a few minutes). A friend borrowed it for a while, and he came back complaining that it randomly shut down the screen :p Maybe worth a check that it wasn't activated by accident. You change it it System Preferences -> Desktop & Screen Saver -> Screen Saver tab -> Hot Corners.