Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Has your 2013 Macbook Air gone blank/autosleep on you during usage?

• Yes is has happened once or twice

Votes: 22 17.1%
  • Yes it has happened a few times, or frequently.

Votes: 65 50.4%
  • No it has never happened.

Votes: 42 32.6%

• Total voters

AXs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2009
(1) - The 2013 MBA does not run the same version of 10.8 as other MacBooks, as it's specifically coded for Haswell. It very well could be and most likely is a software issue.

(2) - That's a very generous number? Where are you coming up with that? 80% users sampled, perhaps - but I am quite sure it's not 80% of units produced.

(1) Really? Oh I didn't know that. Actually a little relief for me. It's nice to know that a software update will most likely fix this.

(2) While likely not most accurate based on circumstances, the poll at the top shows 80% of people who voted have this issue... well actually it's at around 75% now.
but to be fair, it is more likely for ppl with the issue to vote than people who aren't facing the problem.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
(1) Really? Oh I didn't know that. Actually a little relief for me. It's nice to know that a software update will most likely fix this.

(2) While likely not most accurate based on circumstances, the poll at the top shows 80% of people who voted have this issue... well actually it's at around 75% now.
but to be fair, it is more likely for ppl with the issue to vote than people who aren't facing the problem.

Glad to see I am not the only one with this issue. I didn't have this problem with my previous Macbook Airs, so I am inclined to think it is a software thing related to #1.

It is annoying, but doesn't happen all that often to me (once a week or so).

mbafan

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2013
(1) - The 2013 MBA does not run the same version of 10.8 as other MacBooks, as it's specifically coded for Haswell. It very well could be and most likely is a software issue.

(2) - That's a very generous number? Where are you coming up with that? 80% users sampled, perhaps - but I am quite sure it's not 80% of units produced.

(1) Really? :) Since when Apple started to adjust OSX for specific model of Macbook :) Maybe 10.8.4 has some support built in for haswells, but it is everywhere not only in MBA

As for SW problems one can try to install this again:http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1672

AXs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2009
(1) Really? :) Since when Apple started to adjust OSX for specific model of Macbook :) Maybe 10.8.4 has some support built in for haswells, but it is everywhere not only in MBA

As for SW problems one can try to install this again:http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1672

Yea thanks for clearing that up. I was utterly amazed when I heard that MBA had an exclusive OS. Didn't think it was true, still dont.

keatre

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2013

I did not mean 10.8 is not supported by other models, but rather the version of 10.8 on the MBA is programmed explicitly for that machine. To over simplify, you cannot take a MBA 10.8 and push it to a 2012 rMBP. Basically, 10.8 natively does NOT support Haswell, as such - Apple included a specific build for the MBA that addresses this. This is the same codestring that was updated to 'fix' the WiFi and flickering issues that were reported at launch.

Feel free to navigate to the Hackintosh sites to dig more indepth, if you would like.

mbafan

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2013
I did not mean 10.8 is not supported by other models, but rather the version of 10.8 on the MBA is programmed explicitly for that machine. To over simplify, you cannot take a MBA 10.8 and push it to a 2012 rMBP. Basically, 10.8 natively does NOT support Haswell, as such - Apple included a specific build for the MBA that addresses this. This is the same codestring that was updated to 'fix' the WiFi and flickering issues that were reported at launch.

Feel free to navigate to the Hackintosh sites to dig more indepth, if you would like.

wrong :) u can take OSX installation and push it to any MAC which is capable to run it (including MBA), there is no special OSX on MBA, that could not be used with other MACs, sure once installed u cannot transfer it, but it applies to any MAC, so take it easy bro :)

keatre

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2013
wrong :) u can take OSX installation and push it to any MAC which is capable to run it (including MBA), there is no special OSX on MBA, that could not be used with other MACs, sure once installed u cannot transfer it, but it applies to any MAC, so take it easy bro :)

Hmm, I think I responded rather calmly. While I disagree with you, we won't derail this thread with this discussion. But I do implore you to take the non-developer rMBP 10.8.X installation and throw it onto the 2013 MBA. Please post your results in a separate thread. Cheers.

Last edited:

mbafan

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2013
Hmm, I think I responded rather calmly. While I disagree with you, we won't derail this thread with this discussion. But I do implore you to take the non-developer rMBP 10.8.X installation and throw it onto the 2013 MBA. Please post your results in a separate thread. Cheers.

Please point me where I can download specific OSX release for specific machines

JailDesigner

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2013
Spain
It has happened to me once or twice. It suddenly got all blank and it took 10 or 20 seconds to show the desktop again, and i didn't touch anything.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009

you're the one making the claim; seems to me the onus should be on you to support it. i would be very interested to know if this is true or not as this is the first i'm hearing of it. tried a quick google search, didn't see anything. That doesn't mean you're wrong of course...

but i can tell you that i am having this exact problem on my 2009 macbook running ML in which i have installed a SSD so while there may be a glitch in MBA, it doesn't seem to be unique to the air.

i think there's something going on with how OSX plays w/ SSDs. in my case i thought maybe it was the sudden motion detection being weird (obviously not the case w/ the air) or maybe the "put disks to sleep" feature being glitchy - but i don't know.

i suppose it could be a hardware problem w/ the disk but i suspect it's software given the number of people having this problem.

Axs will tell you that 80% of the known universe is experiencing this issue. :)p i kid)

Foxer

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Washington, DC
I have this problem, too. Go the MBA about a month ago. Happens maybe every other day or so. Both plugged and unplugged. Just in middle of ordinary use, it all goes black. My immediate reaction is that the battery is dead, but that is never the case and it returns to normal after about 10 seconds.

There is a possibility that (as someone suggested above) it has something to do with Chrome, since I am almost always using it (and it is always open, even if in the background).

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
I have this problem, too. Go the MBA about a month ago. Happens maybe every other day or so. Both plugged and unplugged. Just in middle of ordinary use, it all goes black. My immediate reaction is that the battery is dead, but that is never the case and it returns to normal after about 10 seconds.

There is a possibility that (as someone suggested above) it has something to do with Chrome, since I am almost always using it (and it is always open, even if in the background).

same here- on all counts, including chrome.

peasant

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2011
same yet different

been having the same problem, though it's with a 13' mba 1.7/4/128 from July 2011.

it did seem to start after upgrading to 10.8 in May. am currently using 10.8.4

the fade to black has been happening about once a week.

have changed the energy saving settings and can report back in a week.

doubt this has anything to do with it, but also had the motherboard replaced under warranty do to a "chimes of death" ram issue last winter.

AXs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2009
Just wanted to share that it hasn't happened to me in a few days now.

Really can't put my finger on it. But since I extended the request password on way time frame, it rarely happens.

wannabelean

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2009

+2 Its only 11 hours into the day and it has happened twice. Happens atleast 2-3 on a daily basis for me in my 8-10 hours usage everyday.

AXs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2009
Currently at 14 votes each. 33.33% 33.33% 33.33%

HalfLife 3 confirmed :p

Nipje

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2010
I think i just had the issue for the first time. I plugged out the power adapter on my MacBook Air 13" 2013 and the screen went black. After that i had to login again...

I hope this is not a hardware issue :'(

peanut48

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2006
it got worse today. Screen went blank and when I tried to wake it, it continued to be blank. Tried everything and finally had to turn off the macbook air, after turning it on again, the macbook is now super hot, it was never hot before.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
keeps happening to me as well. support told me to keep anything magnetic away from it - also ipads and iphones. but that's not the issue.

they suggested making another admin account and see if it keeps happening. if so they want me to fresh install the os.

we'll see how it goes.
definitely annoying

jaysen

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2009
Ughh, yesterday it happened more frequently than ever...!

Very, very annoying.

It seems that it was happening almost before the MBA would go to sleep or coming out of sleep... I was using Chrome throughout the whole thing but that might just be coincidental.

AXs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2009
After I disabled 'put hard disk to sleep when possible' option, it has yet to happen to me.

This might work for someone else? Please try it at and see. I'm almost certain that we have pinpoint the issue.

Mochi Hana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Texas
it got worse today. Screen went blank and when I tried to wake it, it continued to be blank. Tried everything and finally had to turn off the macbook air, after turning it on again, the macbook is now super hot, it was never hot before.

Had this same thing happen with mine, but it wasn't hot after I restarted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.