Screen goes from black, to white, then no further.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by vadas, Oct 17, 2006.

1. vadas macrumors newbie

Hey there,

Errr... I got tangled in my new wireless antenna and my G3 ibook 'fell' off the desk.

It now goes from a blank screen to a white screen on start-up and stays there. I imagine the computer is on, though, as volume up/down still makes the proper sound.

The screen is a little apart from the case near where the display joins the rest of the laptop.

So, is this going to be worth fixing or am I completely screwed?

any suggestions would be grand.

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Well, the easiest way to check it out would be to hook it up to an external display to see if your computer is still functional. I'm sure the Genius Bar at an Apple Store could help you, if there's not one near you perhaps a friend with an external monitor....

New displays are pretty costly, if you're ok with a non-functional display on your iBook then buying an external display would be a cheap fix. PowerbookResQ shows a price for replacing the screen on a G3 iBook as US $329. Not cheap but it wouldn't break the bank. However, it is a G3....

If the computer still works but you can't afford a new one, then I'd get an external LCD that you could even after you get a new computer.