Screen Gone Fritz! ADVICE...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by whyrichard, Mar 21, 2004.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

Aug 15, 2002
    computer: g4 titanium 1st gen 400mhz operating osx 10.2.8

screen works intermittently... then freezes, disembodies itself, and turns a quite beautiful changable sheet of plaid colours.

dispite it's great beauty, I CAN'T USE MY BELOVED POWERBOOK without hooking up an external monitor! --which seems to be okay so far...

when waking from sleep or rebooting the powerbook screen works for a short (5-30 minutes) period of time, and then the pretty plaid comes back.

is this a videocard problem? any chance it's a software problem only? (i doubt it)

any inexpensive methods of fixing this??????

PLEASE HELP I AM lugging around a 40 pound monitor with my laptop! imagine the scene at the airport....

thanks for your help...

2. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

Aug 15, 2002

ALAS.... i am alone on this one.

3. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

Aug 15, 2002
    yes whyrichard...

no one is paying attention to the plight of your computer....

it is a lonely lonely, harsh world.

4. zach macrumors 65816

Feb 14, 2003
    Eh.. seems like the same sorta symptoms that my friends iBook had when his logic board got fried..

Weird tho that it works with an external monitor. That would sorta rule out video card failures.

I'm guessing that it is a software only failure, because it sorta rules out hardware failures except the screen itself.

Go get it checked out at the Genius Bar at the Apple Store.

Oh, and please stop bumping your thread.. :D
  5. Marble macrumors 6502a

May 13, 2003
    Tucson, AZ
    I have the same problem, pretty much. After booting up or waking from sleep, my screen sort of goes berserk and little horizontal groups of pixels displace themselves and float about like little angry men (as if my computer was being exposed to a magnetic field - sort of). This only lasts for about a minute or so, though, as it eventually "warms up" and stops doing it at all. In fact, it is so unpredictable that I would probably have a hard time duplicating the effect for an Apple technician. Ai.

Get your 'book checked out, it sounds like it's a problem with the LCD, or maybe the connectors/cabled between the base and the screen.
  6. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

Dec 7, 2003
    Houston, TX
    hmm..... I smell someone loosing money the next time they go to the genius bar......
  7. wicked*rosy macrumors newbie

Oct 22, 2003
    My TiBook 667 just did this to me today. Woke it up from sleep and it had gone plaid. Shut it down, restarted it... plaid. Shut it down for 5 minutes, restarted it, now it works.

Anyone else come across this? Ideas?