screen protector for your powerbook/ibook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by yOyOYoo, Feb 13, 2005.

1. yOyOYoo macrumors 6502a

yOyOYoo

Saw some Macally screen protectors for the powerbook at Fry's today. $14.99 for 3 clear ones.

I figured why not and got em.

Anyone else use screen protectors for your laptop??

By the way do I need to get one of those keyboard protector sheets for my new baby? either one of those clear ones or the felt ones? It seems so cheesy, but I am going to be taking this 12" powerbook with me EVERYWHERE. and I hear that the keyboard can leave marks on the screen.

btw new Mac user. I LOVE MAC. I'm never going back!!!

2. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

I use the Macally screen protectors myself and recommend them highly. The only problem they can cause is because they are shiny they cause glare outside in the sunshine. Mind you, having said that, very few LCD's work well outside with or without covers.
    They protect the screen and that is what counts.

3. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

Can you see clearly your screen through MacAlly Screen Protector?

Can someone comment if MacAlly Screen Protector let you see your screen without degrading the image qualities? I can live with the possible sun glare thing as I mostly use my computer in the shade or in the building.

Does this stay on the screen at all time? Is it like a bigger version of PDA screen protector? I use Radtech ScreenSaverz currenly and if I can keep MacAlly Screen Protector at all time that would be a major convenience.

When you pull off this screen protector, is the LCD scrren also pulled off a little bit? I don't want to stress LCD screen when taking off this screen protector.

4. Mac_Freak macrumors 6502a

I use one of those keyboard protectors. I have found that I prefer using not only for the reason that they keep keys from depressing on the screen but also because it makes my PB much more sturdier when closed - since there is no gap between the body and the screen which makes it stiffer.
    One problem with them is that if you don't wash 'em too often the oil from your finger - that transfers from removing it and putting it back - will end up on your screen in the shape of your of keyboard.

5. steelfist macrumors 6502a

i don't think it's a must, but it's helpful

i have used a total of three notebooks now, two are pcs, and one ibook. i have never used a screen protector for them, but i have used them on my pc desktop ironically. :sigh:

putting that aside, i don't need much protection for my screen. what would happen to it? it's not like i will accidentally fire a bb gun at my screen. :rolleyes:

the only damage it would ever get is accidentally touching it with the tip of my finger, which only leaves some fingerprints which can be easilly been taken care of.

i have never seen a lcd that leaks liquid, and either i have seen already dead monitors or dead pixels, or perfectally fine ones. it's quite hard to accidentally damage the screen. it never happens to me.

that's my opinion though, even though i might be taking a serious risk like being blinded by squirting monitors or having some rock hit it. i don't think it hurts to be on the safe side. you can never be too careful. :D

6. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

I've used the Macally ones on my Al Powerbooks. They do glare but this isn't a real problem in all but the most awkward outdoor conditions. As far as image quality you can't even tell they are on. The sheets are secured only at the top of the screen with a very soft/weak glue that peels off very easily without causing harm. As long as you don't continually remove and replace the sheet it will stay statically attached and holds in place remarkably well to the whole LCD panel. For what they cost they are a great buy.